Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

• Please log in to reply
1052 replies to this topic

#21 edjbox

edjbox

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

aCS 64 #601 appears to be standing upright

Intercity Trains ridden-
Amtrak: Acela Express (7/2012, 1/2015, 11/2015) standard NE Regional/Regional (6/2003, 10/2012, 5/2014, many other times 2014-2016 including 5/13/15), Crescent (10/2012)
China Railways: Jinghu Railway soft-sleeper overnight (6/2007, 5/2012), Type 25Z AC commuter (summer 1996)

Other Trains seen-

Amtrak: Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Keystone, Pennsylvanian, Carolinian, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Empire State, Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight. Defunct trains seen: Clocker, Metroliner, Three Rivers

China: China High Speed- Beijing to Shanghai HSL, other CRH trains

Intercity Train stations used: Newport News, Charlottesville, Richmond Staples Mill, Washington Union Station, BWI, Baltimore Penn, Wilmington, Philadelphia 30th St, Trenton NJ, Beijing Railway Station, Shanghai Railway Station, Nanjing Railway Station
Other Train stations visited- Williamsburg, Santa Barbara CA, Richmond main st, Princeton Jct, Grand Central Terminal

Commuter/Subway- SEPTA Frankford L, SEPTA Trenton Line (most recent 12/2012), Paris Metro, Beijing Subway

seen: NYC Subway, MARC, NJ Transit, SEPTA, PATCO, VRE, DC Metro

#22 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:31 PM

How sad, hopefully there are no deaths!

We appreciate the updates from those with access and inside info, the local news stations are doing their usual " if it bleeds it leads!" sensationalism! Sigh

Seriously?! You don't think this is big news? It's horrible and certainly merits lead news coverage.
I agree totally!, My point is that its apparent that the locals don't know what they're talking about and spreading rumors and giving out scare stories! We have this every time there's a media blitz about passenger train mishaps!

CNN is doing a very good job, the local Fixed Noise Station it's usual terrible job!

As Joe Friday said, " Just the facts mam!"

Well the CNN app still has nothing about the crash on it and Fox News is doing excellent coverage of the crash.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...

NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!

Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002
SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009
California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011
Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#23 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:39 PM

I'm watching CNN, MSNBC and Fox live, and they're all doing a good job!, I was talking about the local ambulance chasing reporters here in Austin, not National coverage!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#24 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Was this a CSX crash with freight train, sabotage or train going too fast or defect with Sprinter?

While Acela costs more, may be more prudent and safer to take Acela at this point in time.

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

The curve at that this incident occurred at is rated for 50 mph. I can almost guarantee someone took this curve way to fast.

http://acela150kid.r...aspx?id=2826706

Photo shows the curve.

There is a yard there that holds transfer cars from Pavonia (Camden) South Philly and Abrams yard. That yard holds mostly tanks. This yard is owned by Conrail Shared Assets.   

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the picture. The train coming towards us is heading in the direction this train was? The tank cars we're seeing are on the tracks on the right?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#27 Paulus

Paulus

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:47 PM

The curve at that this incident occurred at is rated for 50 mph. I can almost guarantee someone took this curve way to fast.

I thought Amtrak had a PTC system to prevent that on the NEC?

#28 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

This looks like an absolute disaster. Terrifying pictures coming in from the site. 

Really, really hoping that that first car was empty for one reason or another.

Amtrak Routes I've ridden: Acela Service (4x), Adirondack, Auto Train (9x), California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (4x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent (2x), Downeaster, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (20x+), Pacific Surfliner (10x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor (2x), Silver Star, Southwest Chief (2x), Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#29 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:56 PM

Press conference coming shortly. This guy on CNN talking about the Capital Limited/MARC collision doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#30 daniel3197

daniel3197

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Very SADLY if another train derailed INTO the PATH of this train almost nothing could prevent this derailment.

This looks like the scenario that happened with this Amtrak derailment in North Philadelphia 5-12-15.

Prayers to all those impacted with this derailment tragedy.

---- Daniel

#31 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Really, really hoping that that first car was empty for one reason or another.

That's what prevented Chase from being a lot worse. It'll be a miracle if that happens again.
Posted Image

#32 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Very SADLY if another train derailed INTO the PATH of this train almost nothing could prevent this derailment.
This looks like the scenario that happened with this Amtrak derailment in North Philadelphia 5-12-15.
Prayers to all those impacted with this derailment tragedy.
---- Daniel

I think that it's way too early to say what this looks like. We can't even see the whole scene.
Posted Image

#33 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,278 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the update Steve, good to have a local that knows the territory and railroads as a source!

Ex Rep Murphy, D-PA. tweeted that a US Senator got off the train in Wilmington, missed the name?

MSNBC is ripping Amtrak for poor communication regarding the disaster!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#34 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

Just saw a picture of the inside of the cafe car.

Looks really bad.

Note it's a somewhat graphic image so click with caution.

https://twitter.com/...320256759758848

Amtrak Routes I've ridden: Acela Service (4x), Adirondack, Auto Train (9x), California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (4x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent (2x), Downeaster, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (20x+), Pacific Surfliner (10x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor (2x), Silver Star, Southwest Chief (2x), Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#35 The Chief

The Chief

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, photography, travel, passenger trains, TV, movies, writing, reading, and oscillating fans.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

https://twitter.com/NJerzyFireAlert

reported early on "3rd Alarm struck. This is reportedly a Amtrak train vs a Freight Train."

etc

Just advised me his deets from FD radio scan feed.

Philadelphia No. 188 NE Regional derail

TTTTTTTT ThE ChieF TTTTTTTT

#36 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,566 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the update Steve, good to have a local that knows the territory and railroads as a source!

Ex Rep Murphy, D-PA. tweeted that a US Senator got off the train in Wilmington, missed the name?

MSNBC is ripping Amtrak for poor communication regarding the disaster!

Most likely the Senator's name starts with a C since our two Senator's and our rep all have last names starting with C.   :P

It was Carper that got off in Wilmington.

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 12 May 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#37 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

Location - train was going left to right on the tracks across the track. Most of the cars are in the grassy triangle below the tracks (outside the curve). ACS-64 is to the right of the footbridge.

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

Attached File  Screen Shot 2015-05-12 at 11.05.23 PM.png   1.32MB   132 downloads

Edited by Ryan, 12 May 2015 - 10:06 PM.

Posted Image

#38 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

ABC news (radio) is saying 60+ injured and "unconfirmed dead."

#39 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

Amtrak tends to be very safe overall. Portal bridge had a defect and was fixed after previous derailment, but I have not seen a cause to this crash. I myself tend to like Amtrak over bus on this route and I am hoping everyone is okay. Hundreds of transportation accidents occur all the time unfortunately.

Cause needs to be determined so they can fix the problem. With the Sprinters, it should have been hard to speed over the rails like this. Could have been a rail problem that was overlooked, a defect with the Sprinter, sabotage. I think conductor speeding is the least likely senario but it has happened before on other railroads, like metro north but amtrak generally has not had speeding problems.

i havent seen any CSX freight train images so I dont know if that was an issue.

#40 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

Lots of self-appointed experts have already posted lots of crap about what caused the wreck, what is wrong with Amtrak, how we should have a national maglev system, etc.  Obviously idiots.  Be careful what you believe. 

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users