Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

• Please log in to reply
1052 replies to this topic

#1 BrianPR3

BrianPR3

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

There's an amtrak derailment so far 2 pictures from congressman patrick murphy of PA
https://twitter.com/...302528447651841

https://twitter.com/...299221561896960

a sprinter looks to be involved with overturned cars

WCAU with live coverage

http://www.nbcphilad...FlowTwt_PHBrand

UPDATE

Edited by BrianPR3, 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

-Brian

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

The Facebooks says 188.

The Northeast corridor rail fans group is full of posts - one of them is a news guy posting photos from their control room.

10171006_10206472023056934_6227681925757

Looks bad, bad, bad. Reportedly 601 was leading.

Edited by Ryan, 12 May 2015 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Paulus

Paulus

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

CE2cxmGWYAAXYkR.png

This looks like it's an ugly one.

#4 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

"The train started to shake" and then derailed. 8 - 9 cars derailed, and 50 injured.

Edited by George K, 12 May 2015 - 09:05 PM.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#5 Grandpa D

Grandpa D

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

Looks like some are on their sides.  http://www.breakingn...n-philadelphia/

#6 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Several sources say train 188 entered a corner at a high rate of speed and the first few cars potentially rolled. Unreliable information at this point. Shocking pictures.

dF3G83W.png

Source: https://twitter.com/...305568177139713

Edited by desertflyer, 12 May 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,088 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

CE2cxmGWYAAXYkR.png

This looks like it's an ugly one.

Oh my god. :(

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Live on CNN.

Congressman Patrick Murphy is onboard and tweeting pictures.

Edited by Ryan, 12 May 2015 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 Paulus

Paulus

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

Early reports are that it hit a freight train, which would explain the destruction of that one car.

#10 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

It looks pretty rough. Probably high rate of speed. Or maybe it picked a switch
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#11 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

How sad, hopefully there are no deaths!

We appreciate the updates from those with access and inside info, the local news stations are doing their usual " if it bleeds it leads!" sensationalism! Sigh
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#12 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

zX8Do3x.jpg

Source

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

Early reports are that it hit a freight train, which would explain the destruction of that one car.

Read that as well, but haven't seen anything that looks like a freight train on the TV coverage.

Given that picture, that looks impossible.
Posted Image

#14 Bierboy

Bierboy

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel, grandkids, alien abductions, navel gazing, long walks off short piers, riding tricycles...

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

We appreciate the updates from those with access and inside info, the local news stations are doing their usual " if it bleeds it leads!" sensationalism! Sigh

Seriously?! You don't think this is big news? It's horrible and certainly merits lead news coverage.

My vacation starts when I climb aboard the train and hear the whistle blow...

NP's Vista-Dome North Coast Limited in the early '60s....those were the days!

Cardinal Sleeper, CHI to WAS - July 2002
SW Chief Sleeper, GBB to LAX - June 2007
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to ESM - May 2009
California Zephyr Sleeper, GBB to EMY - October 2010
Illinois Zephyr/Empire Builder Sleeper, GBB to CHI to SEA - March 2011
Texas Eagle Sleeper (AGR), BNL to SAS - April 2013

#15 R30A

R30A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

If the car was a deadhead it is possible. No chance in hell if it had people on it though, especially if it was full. 

#16 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

CNN just said it collided with a CSX freight train. 

#17 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Looks like a line of tank cars along the bottom of the screen - someone smart on the geography want to help out?
Posted Image

#18 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Seriously?! You don't think this is big news? It's horrible and certainly merits lead news coverage.
I agree totally!, My point is that its apparent that the locals don't know what they're talking about and spreading rumors and giving out scare stories! We have this every time there's a media blitz about passenger train mishaps!

CNN is doing a very good job, the local Fixed Noise Station it's usual terrible job!

As Joe Friday said, " Just the facts ma'am!"

Thoughts and prayers with everyone involved, looks like the first responders and able passengers and crews are doing a heroic job!

Edited by jimhudson, 12 May 2015 - 09:40 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#19 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

This is so horrible and so tragic. I am praying for all on board 188.

Just saw a clip on my local news and came here to see what info might be available.

#20 reppin_the_847

reppin_the_847

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

Looks at least as bad as the Metro North commuter rail crash that happened recently.  Really hoping for the best here.  Looks like a devastating accident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users