Newport News to Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kimbik

I have read that business class seats sometimes are just like coach seats with the business class taped over the name on the car. Anyone familiar with the route from Newport News VA to Boston? How likely are 2 Peale going to get a seat together?

Thank you.

I would say it's quite likely that there will not be an empty seat next to you in Business Class. That car is usually crowded, especially on a Friday and Sunday.

If you ride #66 all the way to Boston in Biz Class, the consist usually has the Cafe/Biz Class car with the nice 2x1 Faux Leather Seating. Much better and worth the upgraded for the long trip!

If an Amcoach Biz Car is substituted, it will have 60 Seats with 2x2 seating just like a Regular AmCoach,( which has 72 Seats) just a little more knee room and a separate Cafe car!

You will have Reserved seats but it's first come, first served when you board so try to board ASAP when boarding begins.

Edited to clarify differences in type of Biz Class cars!

Last edited by a moderator:
A regular business class car has a greater pitch than a coach car. It also has foot rests at the seats. Most times these are used, but sometimes if a car is taken out of service (like for repairs) and there are no extra BC cars, they may be forced to use a regular coach car.

To (somewhat) correct what Jim said, a regular business class car has 60 seats while a regular coach class car had 72 seats.

Are you planning on taking 94 (leave Newport News at 9:15am, get in to Boston at 10:10pm) or 66 (leave Newport News at 5:20pm, get in to Boston at 7:58am)?

94 is an exceptionally busy train. I actually just worked it yesterday, and I left Newport News with 200 passengers, and peaked at around 480, with a capacity of just about 500. 66 however I have never left with more than 50, and have never had more than 300 passengers at any given time. 66 will be much quieter in the sense of less passengers, and less chit chat since most people are asleep by Philadelphia.

If you are boarding in Newport News, it is almost certain that two travelers can get seats together, regardless of the class or the train.

I have read that business class seats sometimes are just like coach seats with the business class taped over the name on the car. Anyone familiar with the route from Newport News VA to Boston? How likely are 2 Peale going to get a seat together?

Thank you.
If you are taking 66 I believe that the 2-1 seat business class car is being used on the Boston section of the Lakeshore Limited substituting for the sleeper that is temporarily removed due to track work around Albany. I was on 66 two weeks ago and a 60 seat BC coach was in use. It has longer seat pitch than the regular Amfleet I and has foot rests. If you are taking 66 this is MOST definitely the way to go regardless of which BC car is on the train.

Triley mentioned this in a post back to me on another thread that Amtrak's reservation system was still setting aside 18 BC seats which is the capacity of the 2-1 BC car. I spoke with a BC passenger on 66 with me and he said the coach was mostly empty and he had his own seat pair from Newport News to Boston.

To your seat pair question you should not have any problem getting two seats together board at either Newport News or Boston.

Thank you to all who replied with information. I made a reservation last night for train #94 from Newport News VA to Boston. I chose business class. Will there be a cafe car on this train? It is a long trip. I will have to pack snacks and such if no food is on this train. Also, are the seats 2 X1 or 2x2 ?

I was not able to afford BC for the return trip, but the agent who helped me said I could upgrade if I choose, providing there are seats available. I chose train # 65 for the return trip. Think we will get seats together departing Boston on that train?

Thank you so much for your answers.

Both trains 94 and 65 have cafe cars. Train 94 has 2x2, both in coach and BC. Train 65 should have 2x1 for BC.

Since train 65 begins at BOS, chances are very good of getting seats together - as close to 100% as you can get!

I can tell you that BC on 94 is a good choice. I was on 94 Friday on the head end from BAL to PHL. At PHL I have never seen the platform so full. It was to the point where it seemed like people were standing.

Thanks everyone! Now, I'm just wondering if I lurk about on the Amtrak site, is it likely that the ticket price for the business class seat would go down closer to departure if reservations are cancelled? ( train 65) How likely is it that there will be seats in business class open upon boarding, and would the price be what is on the current website, or discounted? Do passengers do this? ( upgrade on train)also wondering if we board at 9:30 pm will the cafe car be open? Thanks in advance to all.

Upgrades are no longer discounted onboard. Best to do the upgrade online, call or at the station.

Thanks everyone! Now, I'm just wondering if I lurk about on the Amtrak site, is it likely that the ticket price for the business class seat would go down closer to departure if reservations are cancelled? ( train 65) How likely is it that there will be seats in business class open upon boarding, and would the price be what is on the current website, or discounted? Do passengers do this? ( upgrade on train)also wondering if we board at 9:30 pm will the cafe car be open? Thanks in advance to all.
Do not attempt to board at 9:30, as the train will likely be pulling away without you! Train 65/67 usually starts boarding 10-20 minutes prior to departure. Most crews on that train keep the cafe car closed off until Back Bay or Route 128 (about 20 minutes in to the trip), but other than that, it will be open for essentially the whole trip. It'll close upon passing through New Rochelle (approximately 15 minutes prior to New York Penn Station) and remain closed until departure of the station (approximately 45 minutes after an on-time arrival). It will also close upon departure of New Carrolton (approximately 10 minutes prior to DC), and remain closed under departure (approximately 30 minutes after an on-time arrival).

Honestly, after working 65/67 something like seven times now, I can say I have never seen business class sold out. But as AmtrakBlue said, upgrades aren't discounted onboard any more, and the conductor will just have you call 800-USA-RAIL and have the call center upgrade your ticket. I work the Cafe Car, so I'm in no means associated with someone upgrading onboard, and I've still seen it quite a few times.

Also, if you're traveling on 65, you must be traveling on a Friday or Saturday night departure from Boston, and I'll say that Friday nights tend to be a little busier than the rest of the week, so I would not chance waiting to upgrade if you really want it, especially if you're traveling with others.

Hi! I'm not a guest anymore! So to continue my post, I have the reservations set up, and I am wondering which side of the train to sit on going north from Newport News to Boston. What about on the way back south, if we can't sleep in coach, it would be nice to see the cities as we go through. I am hoping that the price for business class might go down right before we leave if someone cancels. Should we obtain the assistance of a red cap in Boston to get on the train faster? Looking to find the quiet car.

On 65 the quiet car is typically at the end of consist. There's not going to be too much to see during the overnight hours, unfortunately. On 94 I would sit on the right side north of NY, for when you go along the waterfront in Connecticut. Same thing in between Baltimore and Wilmington. On 65 before you head in to the tunnels, Manhattan will be on your right side. If you've never taken the train down your way, keep an eye out for Ashland, VA. Quite something to be going through the middle of downtown! There is one shop owner in particular that will head outside daily and wave to train 95 as it rolls through town, and usually the conductor is at the door waving back.

You may certainly use a red cap if you'd like, but the train is usually pretty quiet. Are you traveling on a Friday or Saturday night, and is it around a holiday?

That would explain the reason business class is higher priced, the last rush of business folks heading home for the weekend, along with people starting their weekend travels. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be too hopeful that the cost will go down, but one never knows!

Thank you, Traveler. I would change to BC if the price wasn't so much, but someone on the phone at Amtrak said to find the quiet car immediately upon boarding in Boston. Just hoping to sleep a bit on the way home.

Once past New Haven, down until say DC, the entire train is quiet. I worked it a little over a week ago and when I walked the train around midnight, maybe 20 out of the 120 passengers appeared to be awake.

Thank you, Traveler. I would change to BC if the price wasn't so much, but someone on the phone at Amtrak said to find the quiet car immediately upon boarding in Boston. Just hoping to sleep a bit on the way home.
The quiet car will always be the second car behind the engine; business class is the first car behind.

The quiet car will always be the second car behind the engine; business class is the first car behind.
Not on 65/67 it isn't. Typical consist is engine, baggage, split cafe (though recently separate business class, then full cafe), three coaches, and then the quiet car at the end.

Well, you are correct about the price staying high on Friday from Boston. Does anyone ever book coach from Boston to , say NYC , and then move to BC when people depart NYC?

I have yet to see it on that train, but I rarely stay onboard during the layover in NYP. I usually head upstairs to get something to eat from the station. You can certainly consider it though.

Hi, just changed to train 66 leaving Newport News at 5:20 instead of 94. All of a sudden prices were the same again! I am looking forward to BC and the 2x1 faux leather seats! Now to wait for BC price to go down a bit for return trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back