VIA offers through ticketing to Toronto airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Despite the title, it's more of a code share.

VIA Rail expands service to Toronto airport

VIA Rail Canada Inc. riders can now book a connecting trip between Toronto Pearson International Airport and Toronto's Union Station with the Union Pearson Express in a single transaction, the railroads announced yesterday.

The agreement allows passengers to book a Union Pearson Express trip when purchasing their VIA Rail tickets. Customers will receive a combined itinerary for both parts of their journey, Union Pearson Express officials said in a statement.

The new Union Pearson Express begins service on June 6. Here’s a couple of shots of the trains testing at the Airport last month. They will share a station with the inter-terminal “Link Train” (blue train)

DSCN7553.JPG

DSCN7558.JPG

DSCN7563.JPG

Great news, Toronto and Ontario seem to be serious about improving Public transit and are making good progress!

Hopefully Ottawa and the Tory Government will take the same track with VIA!!

Great news, Toronto and Ontario seem to be serious about improving Public transit and are making good progress!

Hopefully Ottawa and the Tory Government will take the same track with VIA!!
$27.50 one way price seems a bit steep, to put it mildly. A taxi from Pearson to downtown is about $50... and takes you to your door... and carries your entire party. The train will not be economical for parties greater than one, I am afraid.

IIRC, the Pearson - Royal York Hotel (across the street from Union Station) Express bus cost about $22.00 o/w before it was discontinued, so the new rail link is not that much more, and should be (hopefully) quicker.

That said, I've never minded taking the TTC's 192 'Rocket' to/from the Kipling subway stop on the Bloor/Danforth subway line for $3.00 o/w, or get tokens, which not only are a novelty these days, but give you 'sliding scale' discounts, depending on the quantity purchased. You just can't be in too much of a hurry.

Ahhh, the things we could learn from those crafty Canucks...........

"Sumitomo supplied 18 diesel multiple-unit cars under a US$75m contract. These comply with EPA Tier 4 emissions standards, and are designed for conversion into EMUs if electrification goes ahead. Nomad Digital supplied station and on-train wi-fi, which is sponsored by bank CIBC.

Here’s the Maple Leaf meeting the UP Express on Sunday morning just west of Toronto Union. I would have been on the new train out to Pearson on Sunday evening but we flew back to Halifax on Porter from the Downtown Airport..

.....will definitely give the train a try the next time I’m in Toronto.

IMG_20150607_082101%252520-%252520Copy.jpg

IMG_20150607_082126%252520-%252520Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
$27.50 one way price seems a bit steep, to put it mildly. A taxi from Pearson to downtown is about $50... and takes you to your door... and carries your entire party. The train will not be economical for parties greater than one, I am afraid.
You are not alone. CTV Toronto reporting a survey this week of 892 Torontonians that found 68 per cent think it's too expensive.

Back