The Grand Loop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
Tuesday our 6000 mile, grand loop begins........Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle back to Chicago. I've taken that route before, but drove the coast from Seattle to L.A.......this is first time on Starlight. I don't really have any questions for anyone.....I'M JUST EXCITED!

Fantastic. Have fun and post pics!

Question, Why the Texas Eagle, rather than the CZ or SWC?

(George, who is planning a similar trip for next April - except in the opposite direction).

3 nights on the train instead of 2!!
Well, there you go! :cool:

Roomette? Bedroom? Surely not coach, right?

The only thing that would turn me off to that is the fact that the meals get boring. Not that they're bad, but after about 2 days, your variety is gone, particularly if you don't eat fish (like me).

I did a similar trip 3 years ago and LOVED IT! I didn't have the money for sleeper so I broke it up into 6 segments and the breaks made it very enjoyable. I think it was the 30 days pass but I can't remember. Having a day or two between each leg made the rail days even better. But I don't think I will ever choose to go to Deming, NM, again.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 nights on the train instead of 2!!
Well, there you go! :cool:

Roomette? Bedroom? Surely not coach, right?

The only thing that would turn me off to that is the fact that the meals get boring. Not that they're bad, but after about 2 days, your variety is gone, particularly if you don't eat fish (like me).
Roomette. I love the roomette, I think I'd take it even if it were the same price as the bedroom.

I did a similar trip 3 years ago and LOVED IT! I didn't have the money for sleeper so I broke it up into 6 segments and the breaks made it very enjoyable. I think it was the 30 days pass but I can't remember. Having a day or two between each leg made the rail days even better. But I don't think I will ever choose to go to Deming, NM, again.
Will be spending 2 days in Seattle, and 4 days in southern California.....so it will be spread out a little.

What a great trip! I hope you write a trip report for us when you get back. Planning and looking forward to long trips is fun! We get home and start thinking about the next one.

We are doing the same trip in November. We will depart and return from / to Winter Haven, FL and stop for one week in

San Francisco for daughter's wedding. I have booked bedrooms on all trains and hoping the Pacific Parlor Car will be on

both legs of the CS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you love the anticipation? We're a little over six weeks away from our grand tour..Capitol Limited Toledo-Chicago, Texas Eagle Chicago to LA, then nine days renting a car and exploring Joshua Tree,Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks along with stops in San Diego,Reno,The Sierra Nevadas and San Francisco, back to LA and then taking The Coast Starlight,Empire Builder and Lake Shore back to Toledo. We booked the trip last August using AGR points in a roomette.. Most of our hotels are with Wyndham points and we got a great deal on a car at LA's Union Station,which also awards AGR points.

I've been riding long distance trains for 25 years. I've taken every LD route multiple times and every time I book a trip it's always exciting. An extra day to and from California on Amtrak.. More train time the better! .

Are you going to Seattle again and spending a night there since you can't make the connection to the CS there? If you take the Portland spur from SPK you can connect without spending a night off the train.

It has been quite a few years since I rode the Texas Eagle and given the choice i would take the Sunset onward to New Orleans and spend night there before taking the CONO overnight to Chicago.

I agree with George K. The fish was the worst meal I had on my 5000+ mile Amtrak trip last month.

The boneless rib meal with the special sauce on board the PPC was the best which is saying something since the Flatiron steak on the other trains is very good.

Are you going to Seattle again and spending a night there since you can't make the connection to the CS there? If you take the Portland spur from SPK you can connect without spending a night off the train.

It has been quite a few years since I rode the Texas Eagle and given the choice i would take the Sunset onward to New Orleans and spend night there before taking the CONO overnight to Chicago.

I agree with George K. The fish was the worst meal I had on my 5000+ mile Amtrak trip last month.

The boneless rib meal with the special sauce on board the PPC was the best which is saying something since the Flatiron steak on the other trains is very good.
No, want to stay in Seattle a couple days......there's always more to see!

What a great trip! I hope you write a trip report for us when you get back. Planning and looking forward to long trips is fun! We get home and start thinking about the next one.
You're absolutely right! The only way to not be sad one trip is over, is to look forward to the next!...... In fact, already bought tickets for Zephyr both ways in September. I've taken it from Emeryville back to Chicago (I live in Michigan), but never the other way around. (April and September are my favorite months for train travel....cheaper sleepers than in the summer, and yet plenty of daylight.)

If you wanted to ride another train, you could take the 7:30AM Amtrak Cascades (501) from SEA to PDX and have 2 hours to have lunch in Portland before the CS gets there. You would have to Modify the reservation but it would let you see some of both cities. Plenty to see in Portland as well. I do like the newer Talgo trains used on the Cascades.

You will have a nice sunset on the CS about the time you go over the Cascade Summit between Oakridge and Chemult. Expect to arrive in Sacramento shortly before 6AM and to wait around until it's time to leave SAC

If you wanted to ride another train, you could take the 7:30AM Amtrak Cascades (501) from SEA to PDX and have 2 hours to have lunch in Portland before the CS gets there. You would have to Modify the reservation but it would let you see some of both cities. Plenty to see in Portland as well. I do like the newer Talgo trains used on the Cascades.

You will have a nice sunset on the CS about the time you go over the Cascade Summit between Oakridge and Chemult. Expect to arrive in Sacramento shortly before 6AM and to wait around until it's time to leave SAC
Very interesting idea! I do love Portland......took the Empire Builder 27 directly there a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back