Auto Train Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dee

WE are going on the Auto Tain this smmer. Is it crowded? Which is better upper or lower level seating?

Question 1: Probably. Lots of families going on vacation to see Mickey & Minnie, plus the usual clientele. If you're traveling with kids, it's very possible that they will find new playmates, and that's generally a good thing.

Question 2: Depends on your needs & preferences. Upstairs is easier for passage to diner & lounge car. Upstairs is usually quieter than lower. Lower level is closer to the restrooms. Lower level has fewer passengers.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower level, being closer to the rails and switches and diamonds, will also be noiser, IMO.

Lower level is also slightly less 'turbulent.' Those tall cars sway quite a lot. If you are prone to motion sickness, try for the lower level.

I assume the middle of the consist is a little better in terms of quiet? Additionally, the Auto Train makes one stop in Florence and I believe passengers are allowed to step off, stretch their legs and smoke 'em if they got 'em. I would think the upper level would work better since you're not by the doors?

Check with the onboard staff or the Conductor about the stop in Florence. I'm not sure about the current policy.

There is a recent thread called on this site called Auto Train Newbie Questions. You should find a good bit of useful info there.

Tom

If you be be traveling on the Auto Train in Coach, the Superliner lower level seating is generally first made available to those passengers that have mobility issues that would make climbing the stairs a hardship.

In the Auto Train Deluxe Sleeper cars the Roomettes, Family Bedroom, and Accessible Bedroom are downstairs. The Bedrooms are upstairs.
Are the deluxe sleepers only found on Auto Train? If not what other routes do they run on?

Thanks

Check with the onboard staff or the Conductor about the stop in Florence. I'm not sure about the current policy.
With the recent change the eliminated smoking onboard the AT, Florence is now a smoke stop. The only smoke stop. So pax are indeed allowed off when the AT pulls in for servicing and operating crew change. Of course most people are fast asleep at that hour. :eek:

I like the Deluxe Sleepers on the AT as I get a roomette on the lower level and only the lower level uses the rest rooms as the bedrooms on the upper level have their own.

Here's a photo of the beverage area on the Deluxe AT sleeper

P1000280_zpsjrgtkaxa.jpg

Are the deluxe sleepers only found on Auto Train? If not what other routes do they run on?

Thanks
Yes, there are only 6 Deluxe sleeper that were brought specifically for the AT with the Superliner II order.
32500 - 32505

Palm Bay

Palm Beach

W. Graham Claytor, Jr.

A. Philip Randolph

Palm Harbor

Palm Springs

I have not ridden in any but have walked through all of them to the Diner from other Sleepers. The Deluxe Sleepers are closest to the Diner in the usual Auto Train consist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back