Newby but oldie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BuffaloBoy

Hello everyone! I have been what you all call a lurker for a couple of years. I find it amazing how helpful everyone is on this site. I was a brakeman for Conrail hired out in 1976 as one of the first new hires. I found my job through the New York State unemployment office when they called me because Conrail (and the government) announced that new hires on this brand new railroad corp. would give Veterans a shot. I found out the day before I had to drive to Erie, Pa. to take a test. To make a long story short: I did well on the test and was on the head end of TV49 if I remember right (I am getting old) as a trainee 2 weeks later in August of 1976. Although I didn't know any better at that time, I got to work on one of the most diverse collections of locomotives ever assembled on a cobbled up railroad. I was assigned to what they used to call Lines West out of Buffalo. NY. as a road brakeman running Buffalo to Cleveland and I fell in love with the railroad immediately. I never got to work more than 4 or 5 months out of the year as Buffalo was dying a slow death, but I hung in there. It was a 5 man crew (including the useless fireman) when I first started and my career ended when they dumped the cabooses. I was laid off for the final time and I moved away from Buffalo searching for work. That was a bad time in that part of the country. I have had the pleasure of experiencing locomotives on the road that are coveted by museums today, but my favorite was the covered wagon. Yes, I got to ride a few of those before they were retired.

Enough of my history already!

I still ride the rails as often as I can. I am a veteran of the Cardinal, California Zephyr, Cap Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Wolverine,Coast Starlight(I especially loved this one as we passed through Vandenburg AFB as they were getting ready to put up a rocket), and I especially love to layover in Chicago!

Hope this post isn't too long, just wanted you all to know who I am.

Back