Amtrak / National Train Day Plans??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attending Toledo's train day May 2nd, then Amtrak / National Train Day in Chicago May 9th.

Chime in with your plans!

This will be my first time attending either. Helpful hints welcome!

I'll be riding the CL RT TOL CHI on the 9th.

I might try and get down to Toledo. I went to Ann Arbor's 2 years ago & it was a farce. Last I heard the Exhibit Train will be in TOL for theirs.

peter

I am thinking about going to Tampa.

I'll be working and wishing I was on a LD train headed to one of the Large cities that in the past has done a great job on NTD! ( WAS,PHL,LAX)

Hope everyone that does get to go has a ball!

I went to Toledo last year and it was EXCELLENT. The station was packed with displays, there was a three car Amtrak train plus four other loco's. It was crowded and handicap parking was insufficient. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln , how was the theater>

The Exhibit Train will be in Sacramento on June 6-7. I'm making plans to meet up with Bobnjulie on Saturday to have some fun in Old Sac that day.

Anyone from the area want to join us?

Attending Toledo's train day May 2nd, then Amtrak / National Train Day in Chicago May 9th.

Chime in with your plans!

This will be my first time attending either. Helpful hints welcome!

I'll be riding the CL RT TOL CHI on the 9th.
Hoping to make it to Union Station for the Chicago Train Day. Last year, they had a Pullman car and a couple other private cars (Berlin and one other) that you could walk through which I thought was pretty cool.

Amtrak Train Day comes to the NE /Mid Atlantic area on Sept 19th. I am expecting it to be very similar to NTD but without all of the exhibits in the station. In the past Amtrak had music, chef and K9 demonstrations, children's favors, etc etc. This year I expect to see the exhibit train, private train cars, historic trains/equipment and not much else. Probably still worth attending but not NTD.

Hoping to make it to Union Station for the Chicago Train Day. Last year, they had a Pullman car and a couple other private cars (Berlin and one other) that you could walk through which I thought was pretty cool.
What is happening in Chicago on Thursday and Friday before Train Day on Saturday? Many hotels are sold out for Wednesday and Thursday night.

What is happening in Chicago on Thursday and Friday before Train Day on Saturday? Many hotels are sold out for Wednesday and Thursday night.
There is a Microsoft event at the McCormick Place convention center (~20,000 attendees). Not sure if that's big enough to sell out many hotels. The NFL draft is the weekend before so that shouldn't be a factor.

I'm happy to blame Microsoft. It has a lot to answer for.

Thanks for the info.

This time of year, many big city hotels are filled with high school students from "the country", going on their big senior trip....here in NYC, the charter buses that transport them are all over the tourist area's...that could be another reason for the high hotel occupancy in Chicago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to blame Microsoft. It has a lot to answer for.

Thanks for the info.
Ten commandments of IT professionals: #1. Thou shall not use Micro$oft as your bogey man for any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be on the Meteor traveling north to Boston.

Are there bonus points for travel on NTD?

The Exhibit Train will be in Sacramento on June 6-7. I'm making plans to meet up with Bobnjulie on Saturday to have some fun in Old Sac that day.

Anyone from the area want to join us?
Plan to stop by NTD in SAC early on June 6 enroute driving to Nevada.

# Question from help desk:

"Did you restart your computer?"
that actually resolves 99% of problems.

and yes, VIP trains will get double points under the promotion, just like any other regularly scheduled trains.

Anyone know if will there be Amtrak equipment displays at PHL(like NTD) or just the exhibit train? Feel bad that Washington Union is not participating this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back