LSL boston sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dedhd

Are sleepers still offered on the LSL into south station Boston?

I thought I had read about busitutions from Albany to Boston due to track work, but don't know if that's still the case.

Yes, there are some service interruptions coming. Here is the announcement:

Lake Shore Limited Trains 48/448 and 49/449: Track Work Affects Service

Effective April 12 through May 22, 2015

Two separate track work projects will affect Lake Shore Limited service between Albany, NY, and Boston, MA, starting April 12 through May 22, 2015. Please refer to the following for details:

Sundays through Wednesdays Starting April 12 - 29, 2015

Trains 448 and 449 will be replaced by bus service in both directions between Albany, Boston and intermediate stations on Sundays through Wednesdays (only) starting April 12 - 29, 2015. Passengers will be provided bus service to and from Albany, Pittsfield, Springfield, Worcester, Framingham and Boston South Station.

• Albany – Boston Service: Passengers aboard eastbound Lake Shore Limited Train 48 destined for Boston (South Station) and intermediate stations (except Back Bay Station) will detrain at Albany and board a bus to their destinations.
  • Boston – Albany Service: Bus service will be provided at all stations from Boston to Albany (except Back Bay Station. At Albany, passengers will board westbound Train 49 to their destination.
  • Passengers at Boston South Station should go to the Amtrak Information Desk for instructions on boarding the buses.
  • Passengers at Framingham, will board all buses at the drop off/pick up area on Track 2 platform (adjacent to Waverly Street).
  • Boston Back Bay Service Suspended: Amtrak service will not be provided at Boston Back Bay Station during this time. Passengers may go to nearby Boston South Station, or contact MBTA for travel between Back Bay and South Stations.
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays: April 16 - 25, 2015 and Daily Starting April 30 through May 22, 2015
Trains 448 and 449 will be replaced by connecting trains in both directions between Boston, Albany and intermediate stations on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from April 16 - 25, 2015, and daily from April 30 through May 22, 2015, as described below:

• Albany – Boston Service: Passengers aboard eastbound Lake Shore Limited Train 48 destined for Boston (South Station) and intermediate stations will detrain at Albany and board a connecting train to their destinations.
  • Boston – Albany Service: A connecting train will serve all stations from Boston to Albany. At Albany, passengers will detrain and board Train 49 to their destinations.
  • Checked baggage service will be available at stations which normally provide this service.
We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience. Reservation and train status information is available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

> Trains 448 and 449 will be replaced by connecting trains in both directions between Boston, Albany and intermediate stations on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from April 16 - 25, 2015, and daily from April >30 through May 22, 2015, as described below:

Why a separate connecting train? What is gained for MOW work if the LSL section does not use the tracks, but a separate train does???

It seems that the BOS and NYP sections will not be combined during this period, and the 20 car is running through to NYP. If the 20 car ran through to BOS it would end up being stranded in BOS, and, because the following day passengers will be bussed, it would be unavailable for travel from ALB to CHI.

Just a guess..........

Mike

It seems that the BOS and NYP sections will not be combined during this period, and the 20 car is running through to NYP. If the 20 car ran through to BOS it would end up being stranded in BOS, and, because the following day passengers will be bussed, it would be unavailable for travel from ALB to CHI.

Just a guess..........

Mike
But they're also doing it 7 days a week April 30-May 22.

An Empire Service "Service Alert" states that the fourth Albany station track, and the second main to Schenectady, work has begun, and to expect delays through December.

I believe Ryan has nailed it.

Mike
Yes, the way that the Albany station is currently setup would require taking the track to/from Boston out of service for a bit to put in new switches that will allow the new 4th track to both access the Boston route, but also the mains to NYC.

as always great info here! Thanks! So wife and I are planning a trip back from LA, will be travelling on May 4 on EB LSL- should we expect a train or a bus??

There is a short tunnel between Albany/Rensselaer NY and Pittsfield MA. Is this tunnel like those leading to NYP - unable to handle the taller Superliner cars or perhaps double stack intermodal freight cars?

There is a short tunnel between Albany/Rensselaer NY and Pittsfield MA. Is this tunnel like those leading to NYP - unable to handle the taller Superliner cars or perhaps double stack intermodal freight cars?
Even if it could, the LSL still couldn't use Superliners to Boston since Boston uses high-level platforms which are incompatible with Superliner equipment.

The CSX line from Albany to Worcester MA is cleared for double stack container trains. Whether the Amtrak segment is, don't know. But Superliners are not going to run to Boston because of clearance and platform issues, nor east of Buffalo for that matter, because the stations on the Empire corridor will eventually be all high level platforms.

A Superliner has apparently fit under de-energized catenary in Boston, but as others have pointed out, from a practical POV, it won't happen. (They have apparently run to ALB a few times but terminated there.)

Last edited by a moderator:
While passing through Boston South Station today (4/17), I saw one of the new VL baggage cars on449, the Lake Shore Limited. I also saw that a half cafe/half business car was in the consist. I asked about it, and was told that it was there for the displaced sleeper passengers.

I think that will help to make up for having to wait until Albany to have your room.

Definitely a good move by Amtrak.

Mike

Excellent idea Mike! Perhaps Amtrak might consider keeping it this way and run the BOS Sleeper on the NYP Section

with the BOS Sleeper pax able to board their Sleeper in ALB!

Since a Lunch and a Dinner are served on #448/#449 to the Sleeping Car pax, this makes lots of sense, especially for Amtrak! LOL

Could you determine if it will run all the way to CHI or turn back to BOS on #448??

Ryan,

What service advisory would you be referring to? I couldn't find one on the timetable. There IS work going on at Albany Station, but I don't believe that the work precludes the Boston section from its normal run-thru pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back