Texas Eagle track improvement question.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JATX

Train Attendant
I will be on the TE during this time frame and heading north. With the intermediate stations not being served will the train get into CHI earlier? Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks

JATX

Texas Eagle Passengers

On April 4, 5 and 6, 2015, track improvements will affect Texas Eagle passengers in both directions between Chicago and St. Louis, as described below:

Train 22/422 will detour between St. Louis and Chicago, and will not serve any intermediate stations. Passengers on Train 22 destined for Chicago will remain on the train. Passengers on Train 22 with reservations to stations between St. Louis and Chicago will detrain in St. Louis and board a bus to their destination.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most likely reroute for the Eagle through Illinois is on UP Villa Grove Sub, the old MoPac (C&EI) through Villa Grove somewhat close to Danville IL Area.

The good news is you will travel rare mileage on the trip, which is a routing that rarely has passenger service and no stops other than a likely crew change in Villa Grove.

I once got busstituted (STL-CHI) during work on this project, although everything went well and the bus was fine I consider it the worst "train trip" I've ever taken in a way.

I was on that detour several years back, going northbound. Apparently they set the schedule for the distance assuming 79 mph, but the speed limit was about 55 the entire way (note that this detour doesn't have passenger rail speeds, so they gotta run at freight speeds). This was confirmed by gps and the speed limit signs I watched for the other direction out the rail fan window. Could almost see five miles down the straight, flat, iron ribbon. Didn't stop once. Slow and steady. We couldn't have gone any faster. We arrived about an hour and a half late, which messed with my sightseeing plans. And I was in coach on a sleeper redemption because the rooms were sold out. And the diner was out of service.

On the good side, they gave us crackers, cheese and a tiny bottle of water.

Thank you all for the great info. I will enjoy the new scenery as this will be a new part, for me, on this trip.

You'll have lots of slow orders on the detour and in the crew change stop passengers are not allowed to detrain!

Look for the Large Amish Farms over in Central East Illinois as the train rolls by, they don't use electricity, you'll see them plowing with horses and of course the buggies on the roads are fun to see!

Its also neat to see the kids waving @ the train as it goes by since a passenger train is a rare sight on this route!

You probably know that the Amish ride trains all over the country and are an interesting people!

So is the detour route going to be starting on a regular basis in April?

We rode that route on our St Louis Gathering trip a few years ago and I also had it northbound for the Chicago Gathering in 2013. It is a nice scenic ride but a slow one. And without any smoke stops there are some passengers who have a rough time coping. :eek:

Hoping to have the regular route for our trip later in April but I guess you go with the flow. :)

The former Chicago & Eastern Illinois now UP line used as a detour by the Texas Eagle was the 4th of 4 private Railroad passenger routes from Chicago to St. Louis and the first to lose regular passenger service back in the 1950s. The current Amtrak route formerly Chicago & Alton/GM&O had as many as 7 passenger trains in each direction while Wabash and Illinois Central had 3 passenger trains in each directions with C&EI having only 2 in each direction. Wabash and IC service lasted until late 1960s, not too long before Amtrak.

Well this all starts tomorrow so we will see how everything goes.

Looks like a nice adventure.

Looks like the trip back to Chicago is going to be a mess. 22 departed ftw 3:07 late. As of 8:35 pm central the no status available info started popping up on the amtrak app for Dallas departure info.

Would appreciate any updates or information on this train. I'm planning to catch 48 tomorrow out if cus. So I may need alternative plans.

Looks like the trip back to Chicago is going to be a mess. 22 departed ftw 3:07 late. As of 8:35 pm central the no status available info started popping up on the amtrak app for Dallas departure info.

Would appreciate any updates or information on this train. I'm planning to catch 48 tomorrow out if cus. So I may need alternative plans.
#22 is shown 3 hours down out of Mineola in East Texas @ 822pm. The black hole between LRK and STL during the night will determine the STL arrival tomorrow!
Guess you'd have to ride an Ambus STL- CHI if the Eagle is disrupted?!( but since 48 doesn't leave till 930pm, maybe you'll be OK??) That sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back