3/30 silver meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at the ORL station greeting Ryan and I heard there was a trespasser incident near Sebring.

apparently the accident was in Frostproof, north of Sebring.

Here is a link to a short article.

according to another news story, it was a jogger on the tracks wearing headphones

more here

yet another news story here

Last edited by a moderator:
according to another news story, it was a jogger on the tracks wearing headphones

more here

According to both stories here, reported by different reporters, the CONDUCTOR was driving the train!!! I've been hearing reports lately of the news industry developing computerized robots to write stories. Any computer can write a better story than these 2 reporters.

Last edited:

more here

According to both stories here, reported by different reporters, the CONDUCTOR was driving the train!!! I've been hearing reports lately of the news industry developing computerized robots to write stories. Any computer can write a better story than these 2 reporters.
The idea that the conductor drives the train was also reported by the Orlando Sentinel here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-amtrak-jogger-headphones-killed-20150330-story.html. Although in this story, the reporter's statement is supposedly a quote from an email from a spokeswoman for the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Probably a mix up in terminology, although in French, the engineer is the "conducteur", and the conductor is the "controleur". Maybe the Florida press is well-versed in French..... :giggle:

Or grew up in a city where the conductor does "drive" the train; the subway train.

Or grew up in a city where the conductor does "drive" the train; the subway train.
2 things:

In NYC, I believe the motorman operates the subway train. I believe the conductor, who works from a cubicle in the middle of the train, operates the doors and signals the motorman when it's clear to proceed.

What is the proper word for what the engineer does on an Amtrak train? I know "drive" isn't quite right. Maybe "operate," though that's pretty vague.

I think "drive" is British, and the engineer is, in fact, the "driver" over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back