#1 Kenneth

Kenneth

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Model Railroad

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

Does anyone know where to get Canadian money after arriving on the train from Seattle?

#2 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

Walk across the park in front of the station. There's a strip mall on the other side of the street that has an ATM. Use one of your own credit or debit cards: you'll get the best exchange rate that way. Before you leave on your trip, check to see which of your cards doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee (many of them don't), and don't forget to tell your card issuer that you'll be in Canada.

(You might want to change the title of this thread. There's a Vancouver, Washington, but AFAIK there's no Vancouver, California. :) What you want is Vancouver, BC, Canada!)

Edited by CHamilton, 29 March 2015 - 12:09 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,755 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Charlie: is the Money Exchange inside Pacific Central Station closed or are the exchange rates bad? ( the last time I was there last Feb. the dollars were @ par so I just used American currency)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

Charlie: is the Money Exchange inside Pacific Central Station closed or are the exchange rates bad? ( the last time I was there last Feb. the dollars were @ par so I just used American currency)

Jim, I don't recall seeing it the last time they were there, so they may be closed. But they did have poor exchange rates in any case. And you won't want to use American currency at the moment, as the Canadian dollar is significantly lower than the American dollar.

Edited by CHamilton, 29 March 2015 - 12:13 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 Kenneth

Kenneth

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Model Railroad

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

OK, Thanks. I wouldn't know how to change the thread title. $60 American gets me 75 Canadian as of now. I was hoping to find a bank. I wanted to get some crisp bills for collecting.

#6 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

It's surprising how difficult it is to get hand-selected currency in Canada. Tellers don't seem to have cash drawers any more. If you ask them for cash, they'll tell you that you will get whatever comes out of their machine. (I found this out when trying to get some of the new C$10 bills with The Canadian on the back. I went to four banks before getting what I wanted.)

And you can change the thread title by editing your first post, then clicking the "Use Full Editor" button at the bottom.

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,871 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

I changed the title for you.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#8 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

I was hoping to find a bank.

You can go to Google maps and enter (the train station):
1150 Station St
Vancouver, BC V6A 4C7
Then in the upper left corner of the map you'll see something like "Search nearby" and when you enter 'banks' you'll get this:

Untitled.jpg

#9 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

I was looking for this information as well. The bus terminal in Vancouver is also Pacific Central Station. I was planning to exchange money in the station, but not if the exchange rates are bad. Can anybody find the ATM on Google Street View and link it? Thanks.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#10 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

I was looking for this information as well. The bus terminal in Vancouver is also Pacific Central Station. I was planning to exchange money in the station, but not if the exchange rates are bad. Can anybody find the ATM on Google Street View and link it? Thanks.

It's where the dots marked "Citizens Bank of Canada" and "Vancouver City Savings" (Vancity) are in the above image.

Edited by CHamilton, 29 March 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#11 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

Is it at Vancity Centre? I'm looking here: https://www.google.c...yWAHheXXLg!2e0.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
LINER ANVIL
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60

#12 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

Is it at Vancity Centre? I'm looking here: https://www.google.c...yWAHheXXLg!2e0.

Yes. See the Street View here: https://goo.gl/maps/nO3yq It's the door to the right of the entrance marked Vancity Centre. You can see the multi-colored images of the cards that they take above the door.

Edited by CHamilton, 29 March 2015 - 08:56 PM.

#13 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Does anyone know where to get Canadian money after arriving on the train from Seattle?

I would recommend you check with your bank in the U.S. before departing. Before our trip last September, I asked Chase for $300 in Canadian currency. It was delivered within a week and they let me specify large or small bills (small, mostly, for taxis and tips and such). With a planned arrival (following Customs) about 11 pm, I wanted local currency in my pocket before I stepped off the train.

Edit To Add: The currency exchange in Pacific Central Station was still operating during our visit, but it was closed for our late-night arrival. It was open the next morning when we took the bus - ferry to Victoria, though.

Edited by ehbowen, 01 May 2017 - 01:43 PM.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,755 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Keep in mind that Canada no longer has $1 and $2 Bills. (and the Pennies,are gone!)The Loonie and Toonie are coins which foriegn banks and ATMs don't carry.

I had no trouble using American Dollars in Canada until I could get to an ATM.Everywhere accepts them and Canadian service workers like the US Dollar because it is strong against the Loonie!😉

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

Keep in mind that Canada no longer has $1 and $2 Bills. (and the Pennies,are gone!)The Loonie and Toonie are coins which foriegn banks and ATMs don't carry.

I had no trouble using American Dollars in Canada until I could get to an ATM.Everywhere accepts them and Canadian service workers like the US Dollar because it is strong against the Loonie!

But many places screw you considerably by offering it as the same rate.  Basically $1USD=$1CAD, which is a HUGE ripoff.  Currently $1USD is roughly $1.34CAD, so for example, my mother lost an additional 34 cents value per dollar on that $40 sweatshirt she bought in Toronto.  :angry2: Maaaa...That was $13.60 extra that cost you!

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#16 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:16 AM

As long as we're on the topic of Vancouver and money is no object issue....

Place to stay: When we made our one-night stopover last September we stayed in a downtown hotel I found online, the Rosedale on Robson Suite Hotel. It was a very nice high-rise hotel in the vicinity of the sports arena; a short cab ride (less than CAD10 including tip) from Pacific Central Station. We stayed in a luxurious two-bedroom suite with a queen bed in each bedroom, a sitting room with fully equipped kitchenette, and a single good-sized bathroom. I understand there are several smaller suites for smaller parties, but that the kitchenette is standard. The hotel offers a continental breakfast, but it's only complimentary if you book directly through the hotel...if you use a third-party online booking site, you will have to pay extra if you want the breakfast. We liked it well enough that we plan to return for three nights this September when we leave on our Alaska cruise, and by calling the hotel and speaking with the reservations desk directly we received a bit of a discount off the published rates. Recommended if you want to stay a few days in Vancouver.

Car Rental: If you rent a car from the airport, prepare to take a bath. A very cold bath. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a 3-day Hertz rental from the airport which would have run CAD324 total (and the other companies were similar)...but when I got to checking around, and specifically the off-airport sites, I found that we could rent the same category car from the same company one block away from our cruise pier for USD89 total for the three days! Well, to save over $200, I think we can take a cab from the airport into town. Heck, I think we can afford to hire a limo!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!

#17 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,755 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

If you can handle your luggage, I suggest you ride the Skybus from the Airport to downtown Vancouver.

Much cheaper and quicker due to the ever increasing traffic to/from the airport!

#18 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

If you can handle your luggage, I suggest you ride the Skybus from the Airport to downtown Vancouver.

Much cheaper and quicker due to the ever increasing traffic to/from the airport!

If it was just me, yes. But Mom is 75, Dad just turned 85, and we'll have luggage for a two-week cruise/tour. I think the money for a cab or limo is well spent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users