layover baggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wiksia

I'm going to be traveling to New York from the Midwest and have a scheduled layover of 7 hours in Chicago. I'll be in a sleeper on the Lake Shore Limited to NY (but not on the California Zephyr into Chicago). I'm a little confused about checking my baggage. I'll only be traveling with one large bag and a backpack (which stays with me). If I check my bag for the Lake Shore upon arriving in Chicago, will it be delivered to my sleeper room or will it be stashed away and unavailable until I reach NY? I really need it with me in the room but don't want to lug it with me around Union Station or the Loop while on the layover. Is there a happy solution?

Two options -- check the big bag only to Chicago, collect it and stash it in the (Whatever they call the first-class lounge in Chi) until you depart eastward.

Or - simpler, don't check the big bag at all, lug it to the Metro Lounge, and lug it onto the LSL. There's plenty of room in coach on the CZ to take the "big bag" as unchecked (carryon) baggage.

Checked baggage stays in the baggage car and is not available (or delivered) to you on the train. As a sleeper passenger you may day check and retrieve your bags in the Metropolitan lounge baggage room(attended) in Chicago for free(tip customary).

Day checking your bag in the Metropolitan Lounge (sleeper/business class lounge in Chicago) is the best solution.

Just make sure that your bag meets the size requirements for carry-on luggage...won't be a problem on the Zephyr, but in the roomettes on-board storage space is VERY limited (there's a cubby hole up top that can hold a reguar-sized bag, but not a lot more.)

Redcaps are available in Chicago to assist you and your bags to and from the Metropolitan lounge...most of the time, they will even put it in your roomette when you board....well worth a tip....

Day checking your bag in the Metropolitan Lounge (sleeper/business class lounge in Chicago) is the best solution.

Just make sure that your bag meets the size requirements for carry-on luggage...won't be a problem on the Zephyr, but in the roomettes on-board storage space is VERY limited (there's a cubby hole up top that can hold a reguar-sized bag, but not a lot more.)
If you carry the bag on, it does not have to go into your room/roomette. Keep it in the lower level baggage storage area where it is out of the way yet still accessible. We bring our essentials, etc. to the room and once or twice a day "visit" the bag on the lower level to swap out a change of clothes. etc.

What great info & advice from all of you, thanks so much! And in such a short time, too! You have a great community here; a very bright spot on the internets! Thanks again!

On the CZ, there is a lower level storage area. Since the LSL is a single level train, there is ne "lower level" and there is no storage area except inside your room!

If you are traveling alone, you could also put your bag(s) on the upper berth.

Two options -- check the big bag only to Chicago, collect it and stash it in the (Whatever they call the first-class lounge in Chi) until you depart eastward.

Or - simpler, don't check the big bag at all, lug it to the Metro Lounge, and lug it onto the LSL. There's plenty of room in coach on the CZ to take the "big bag" as unchecked (carryon) baggage.
Third option - check it to Chicago, and claim it from baggage just in time to depart on the CZ or whenever you need it. Nothing says you have to claim it as soon as you arrive.

On the CZ, there is a lower level storage area. Since the LSL is a single level train, there is ne "lower level" and there is no storage area except inside your room!

If you are traveling alone, you could also put your bag(s) on the upper berth.
In the Viewliner roomettes there is a BIG cubby above the door. It is big enough for my big suitcase, although it is a bit of a pain to get it up there.

I'm boarding the CZ at a non-baggage check station so that situation has sorted itself. But on the LSL, you've all given me great info & advice that should make my trip as enjoyable and hassle-free as possible! Can't wait to board!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back