Accessing the train from Private Varnish

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
Just daydreaming about PV. Besides the horrible costs of purchase, rehab, storage, security, inspections and maintenance, there's the steep cost of having your rolling palace hauled around. If I recall correctly, it's about $2 a mile.

What does that $2 get you, besides HEP (you do get that, don't you?)? Can you access the rest of the train? If you're on the end of a superliner, and your PV is single level, I doubt you can. What about other trains?

If you are fortunate enough to be riding aboard "private varnish", the question is ...why....why would you even want to access the public Amtrak cars? Just to go "slumming"?

Or curiosity? :unsure:

If you are fortunate enough to be riding aboard "private varnish", the question is ...why....why would you even want to access the public Amtrak cars? Just to go "slumming"?

Or curiosity? :unsure:
I've seen that done to access the dining car for meals. Not all PVs have the food service capability for longer excursions (think 2 or 3 days). Access was via the transdorm sleeper. Meals in the dining car were at the PV rider's own expense.

That's sort of what I was getting at. However, if there's no transdorm next to the PV, and no chef to prepare your haute cuisine, you're kind of screwed - and hungry. Would Amtrak be so kind as to put a transdorm next to the PV for the convenience of those passengers?

That's sort of what I was getting at. However, if there's no transdorm next to the PV, and no chef to prepare your haute cuisine, you're kind of screwed - and hungry. Would Amtrak be so kind as to put a transdorm next to the PV for the convenience of those passengers?
When you request a PV movement from Amtrak, that is part of what you may request, Whether it happens or not is up to Amtrak but, I have seen a PV move announced where the description stated the PV was to be located between the transdorm and baggage for that purpose. Depending on origination and destination, extra switching fees may apply. Amtrak will try to accommodate such requests...its a source of $$$ for them!

Okay...I suppose that is then a reasonable question...

If I were to shell out big bucks to ride on 'PV', I would hope to be on a classic business car type, you know...all inclusive, bedrooms, dining room, observation lounge and/or open platform type, with or without a dome..... :)

Being on the "tail end" of the train, even without access to the Transdorm would, IMHO, out weight the benefit of being able to walk thru the train.

Possibly, the only thing better than being on the open platform of a PV, at the end of the train, is being in the Head End, and not having to worry about driving the damn thing. But I'll take the tail end even over the cab, as one can sit in a comfy chair, libation in hand, on the open platform.

I don't agree about it being better than in the cab....but, yes....sitting on a rear platform, scanner in one hand, drink it the other, surely, it doesn't get any better than that... :cool:

Back