Silver Star 91 (3/27) into Tampa

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Location was a place called Doctor's Lake, near Orange Park, FL. Freight train hit a semi carrying a McLaren sports car, said to be worth mucho dinero. Value significantly reduced now. Nobody hurt. Truck got hung up on tracks that are higher than surrounding roadway. There was a sign prohibiting trucks, but one witness says the sign is located poorly so that truckers can't see it till they are already on the prohibited road (ARE YOU KIDDING?). However, McLaren owner is local & says this driver has driven for him before. Maybe that means the driver should have been familiar with the crossing anyway. I can't be sure of that.

One news story says the accident occurred on a "one-train rail". I think this means single track, which is correct. I do wish reporters knew how to speak correct, understandable English when discussing railroad subjects. And if they don't, where are the editors?

Don't tell me. I know. I expect too much.

Tom

I hate to say it, Tom, but if what you said is correct, sounds like operator error by the truck driver. :angry: AND another reminder to jump out and call that railroad hotline IMMEDIATELY when you get stuck on the tracks! :help:

It seems that route has one of the most grade crossings of any other Amtrak line and this statistically manifests in more grade crossing hits, along with California, than any other. Almost all of the hits are on on the Silver Star/Meteor/Auto Train route, Crescent, and on the west there are the Surfliners, Coast Starlight, and San Juaquines that drivers love to flirt with.

Friday ... I was on northbound #97 south of my destination of Palatka. My wife was at the station to pick me up. She emailed there was a southbound train there when she arrived. That's when I checked train status on phone app. I checked status on southbound 97 because it follows southbound 91. Status report showed 97 was 4 hours 50 some minutes late out of Palatka. Then in a few minutes we passed the southbound 97 and that was that. So I'm sitting there when all of a sudden another Amtrak consist passes us going south. What? I checked status of 91. It is 91, running seven hours late! Interesting Amtrak watching in such a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back