Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

An idea for an app

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Here is an idea for an app of any of y'all want to tackle something new. I was thinking of my pastime of logging my trip while on board and thought how cool out would be to combine the social aspects of Waze, the tracking of a Garmin the visibility and reporting of Amtrak status maps all rolled into one.

It could be used to estimate time to next station based on miles made good, average closing speed, and timetable expectations. It would be really cool to have rail maps preloaded with section speeds.

The social aspect would allow for people to optionally be visible on a specific train.

Train stopped because of a accident? Weather? Post while online.

Now obviously it wouldn't work out of cell range, but I think the concept is neat.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#2 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

What about a map with all the speed limits to go with? Then you can tell if the engineer is doing his job keeping the train at track speed

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,504 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

That's a pretty excellent idea.

I like the logging aspect of it, a place where you can record consist info (or at least the car you're riding in and the locomotives) for people that track that sort of thing would be pretty sweet as well.

Someone get hot on this!
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users