Planning another trip West

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
As I mentioned elsewhere, D4 is jonesing for another trip out west. We loved Portland, and she wants to return next spring. By that time, I should have enough points for nice trip from Chicago.

Looking at Amtrak's page I see three options:

1) EB to PDX (that's what we did last September). It's a nice ride, (particularly through the gorge). But, we miss Glacier.

2) CZ to Emeryville. Then the CS to PDX. We took the CZ eastbound last fall, but missed a lot of the nice scenery around Denver because of delays (arrived in DEN at midnight!). Saw Glenwood Canyon, the Colorado river, etc. The westbound trip might be nice. Also, some nice scenery on the CS northbound which we missed on the southbound trip.

3) SWC to LA. 2 hour layover and then the CS again. It would be nice to see the southern part of California on the CS - and we'd see the sights at the northern end of the trip.

Which would be the best option? Doing it with AGR means cost is not a consideration.

Also, we'd leave PDX on the Cascades. 4 hour layover in Seattle, then the EB home - Glacier in the sunlight!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely do the SWC to LA and then the CS north to Portland. You'll see some incredible scenery.

If you do the SWC/CS, you'll see the Pacific Ocean out of LA and if you have a sleeper, enjoy the PPC for much longer!
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. D4 was ALL about the scenery last time. As we rode through the Columbia River Gorge, she just sat in the SSL, gobsmacked at the beauty. That's why I'm thinking it might be the better trip than taking the CZ (been there, done that). Also, the contrast between southern California and the ocean and the Pacific Northwest would be cool. We would lose 1 day in Portland (arrive Monday PM, rather than Sunday on the EB), but what we see on the CS would be worth it.

It's longer than the EB, but the SWC/CS and the CZ/CS use the same train from SAC to PDX!

I was once in CHI and met another AU member going to PDX. She left on the CZ and I left on the SWC. Even though she left an hour or so before me, we both were on the same CS north of SAC! :)

Agree with those favoring the SWC CHI-LAX and then the CS LAX-PDX!

The Cascades from PDX-SEA (remember on an AGR Award you'll get Biz Class on the Talgo) and the EB from SEA-CHI is pretty sweet too!

Careful George, It's addicting as you're finding out!

The hell you say. :p

People at work are already saying that I've become the Amtrak spokesman!

I'm going to end up doing 3 long distance trips this year (and our around the country tour last year makes four!).

After D4 and I return, I'm going to try to convince the management that we should do something spectacular.

Oh, scenery on SWC vs CZ (westbound)? Any real advantage to either?

Oh, scenery on SWC vs CZ (westbound)? Any real advantage to either?
Like night and day. Not in a way that one is bad and one is good, just different landscapes.

I had taken the CZ westbound as far as Provo, UT in 2011 and took it eastbound from start to finish last year. I took the SWC CHI=>LAX last year too. I was happy to be able to see parts of the country I've never seen before in person.

You definitely want to do the Canadian for a first class experience! Of course doing it in the " off season" ( mostly Oct-May with Christmas/New Year Blacked out) so you get Express or 50% off Fares is the way to roll!

The scenery for the Chief is more deserty and rocky but with after an overnight through the corn fields ( the crossing of the Mississippi River is nice as is the approach to Kansas City in the Dark, if there's time?? run upstairs for a quick look @ Union Station)))of Western Illinois and Iowa, and the Kansas Praries with its rough track, you'll enter Colorado as the Sun cines up and see ranches, deer and antelope, the snow capped Rockiesin the distance and roll through Raton Pass into New Mexico!

Then you get to see the other Vegas ( LOL), the small mountain city of Lamy ( shuttle to Santa Fe runs from here) and into Albuquerque for a fairly long stop!

Lots of deserty mountain scenery till it gets dark in Western New Mexico, on into Arizona ( the stops in Flagstaff and Williams Junction are in the dark unfortunately) and then across the desert to California where the sun will come up as you wind your way into LAX Union Station.( early limited breakfast starting @_530am).

West bound on the Zephyr the scenery is the same to Galesburg, it will get dark after you cross the Mississippi into Iowa, you'll cross Iowa and Nebraska in the dark ( this is good! LOL), the sun will be coming up in Colorado as you approach Denver!

Of course the climb up the Front Range out of Denver ( be in the SightseervLounge) and the ride through the tunnels, the mountain scenery etc. past the small mountain towns into Glenwood Springs, through the Canyons and along the Colorado River into Grand Junction is spectacular!

It will get dark after entering Utah ( if the train is on time and during DST), you'll do a midnight stipbin Salt Lake City, across the Nevada Desert into Reno in daylight and of course my favorite part of this Route into the Sierra Nevadas into Sacramento!

Sorry this is so long I've done these trains many times and wish I was leaving tomorrow!

Management and daughters, as well as your coworkers that are cool, will love these trains!!

Jim, thanks so much for the virtual tour. Our ride on the eastbound CZ was great, and we saw most of what you describe, though it was dark when we got into the heart of the Colorado Rockies (midnight in Denver, as I said). We left Salt Lake City about 3 hours late, so by the time we got to the Utah desert it was daytime, and we saw some great stuff there as well. However, I have some great photos of Glenwood Springs, the Colorado River and other parts. If you recall, D4 got an Amtrak travel voucher for her photo of the Zephyrs meeting in Colorado.

Though the CS was nice on our southbound trip, I think the trip from LA to PDX might be fun.

Yeah, night and day, so the SWC might be the better choice - for the sake of variety.

Also, though the Columbia River Gorge was wonderful, I'd gladly take the route from Seattle for the sake of variety and riding the Cascades. We might still have some daylight left on the way to Everett for nice views if we travel in April.

What does "Business Class" on the Cascades mean, by the way.

It's longer than the EB, but the SWC/CS and the CZ/CS use the same train from SAC to PDX!

I was once in CHI and met another AU member going to PDX. She left on the CZ and I left on the SWC. Even though she left an hour or so before me, we both were on the same CS north of SAC! :)
I second the notion of the SWC, and here's why: if you take the Zephyr westbound, you will be waiting in SAC for a midnight train. If the CS is late at all, this can get really old. Been there, done that. Next fall, I will be doing the SWC/CS, and I will be already asleep on the approaching train while those in the SAC station are sitting up on hard benches (do they have a first-class waiting area yet? Does it have cushioned chairs?).

I've done business class on the Cascades, and it's nice. Two-by-one seating, a free beverage in the cafe car, and quieter than coach. We got newspapers, but that was a few years ago, and I don't think you do any more. Can't remember about my seat, but I know there was wi-fi in the cafe.

I second the notion of the SWC, and here's why: if you take the Zephyr westbound, you will be waiting in SAC for a midnight train. If the CS is late at all, this can get really old. Been there, done that. Next fall, I will be doing the SWC/CS, and I will be already asleep on the approaching train while those in the SAC station are sitting up on hard benches (do they have a first-class waiting area yet? Does it have cushioned chairs?).
Didn't even look at that! But, yeah. A midnight boarding? No thanks!

Is a two hour layover enough to guarantee a departure on the CS?

Didn't even look at that! But, yeah. A midnight boarding? No thanks!

Is a two hour layover enough to guarantee a departure on the CS?
I made my connection...went from the SWC directly to the platform for the CS. Didn't get to see the station, except the tunnel between the two tracks. So, yes, 2 hours is good. Amtrak tends to hold the trains for connections if the inbound is not running too late.

Someone (Ryan, where are you?) will probably post a graph showing the connections (arrivals/departures) between the SWC and the CS.

If you mean at LAX between the SWC and CS, yes! I've never had a problem. And if the SWC was late, they would bus you from a stop on the SWC to a stop on the CS. (Like Barstow to Santa Barbara.)

Train time! :giggle:
So funny! I'd never traveled much when I worked full time, and as I approached semi-retirement, D4 and I took a trip out west. She was hooked, as was I. And, as I posted elsewhere, The Management has become enthralled as well. So - lots of LD trips in a short time. It's the PERFECT way to travel for The Management, who has orthopedic (spine and hip and shoulder) issues. Relax, stretch out, move around. None of which you can do in a car/plane.

Train time? Hell yeah!

I'm just glad that I discovered it 1) before I'm too old to enjoy and 2) after all 4 kids are off the payroll!

Sounds like your sold already but just to throw in few items for the SWC routing, the current routing through Raton Pass or even the existences of the train at all is part of a big topic of discussion, see the very large topic thread on it.

Historic aspect may not be high on your decision making but to pass along,

The current routing goes through some "Historic" rail territory, Raton Tunnel, jointed rail, and semaphore signals (hopefully not all replaced) then also some large section of 90 mph allowed speeds on the old Santa Fe Mainline (BNSF Transcon) in MO and AZ/ CA , the best of the old and new.

You will also have traveled on all three Chicago - West Coast Trains traditional routes in less than a year, which I am jealous of by the way. and although not the Super Chief, it is the route of the once great train, less Chicago-Galesburg portion and a small section out in LA area. Enjoy the trip!

If we do bedroom (as I'm thinking I'd like to), on the CS would they be on the left (West) side of the train, or is that a totally random thing?

If we do bedroom (as I'm thinking I'd like to), on the CS would they be on the left (West) side of the train, or is that a totally random thing?
Luck of the draw George, there are 2 Revenue Sleepers on this train and they can be hooked up in opposite directions! ( The Transdorm is always hooked up with the Crew Rooms behind the engine but there are only Roomettes on this car)

That's why the PPC is a must on this route! You'll always be on the good side when you hang out there!

I just looked at Amtrak.com and "pretend" booked a trip from CHI to PDX using points. The ONLY option was the EB. If I wanted to do SWC and CS, could I? I assume that would require a call to AGR.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 2.53.08 PM.png

If you do your search on Amtrak.com, not through AGR, you'll see the SWC/CS option, therefore it's doable. Plus you have to call to book rooms.

Yes, the route was through Amtrak.com. It didn't appear when I clicked on the "Book with points" (or whatever) option. Yeah, I'll call when I have a firm date.

Thanks, for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back