Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak heritage cars retirement thread

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:16 PM

With the 8507 and the 8531 heading to Beech Grove, pickings are getting slim.

Here's what seems to be left:

Axle Count Bags:

Axle Count Diners:

In Service Diner:

Edited by Thirdrail7, 24 March 2018 - 02:17 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#122 IndyLions

IndyLions

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

Which one was on the back end of the Cardinal arriving in Indy this morning? I saw a Heritage Diner but didn’t catch the number.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#123 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:04 PM

Which one was on the back end of the Cardinal arriving in Indy this morning? I saw a Heritage Diner but didn’t catch the number.

It was 8507 former Northern Pacific Budd built dining car No. 463 for the North Coast Limited (Chicago-Seattle/Portland) assembled in 1957. Also one of the cars with a complete Termossia rebuild. Likely going to the deadline at Beech Grove awaiting a buyer either for scrap, pv, tourist railroad, or the great white north.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#124 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

It was 8507 former Northern Pacific Budd built dining car No. 463 for the North Coast Limited (Chicago-Seattle/Portland) assembled in 1957. Also one of the cars with a complete Termossia rebuild. Likely going to the deadline at Beech Grove awaiting a buyer either for scrap, pv, tourist railroad, or the great white north.
Had lunch and dinner in 8507 on the Fourth of July last year on the Crescent. I'm going to shed a tear with the retirement of the old diners.

Outside of axle count cars, the last run of a Heritage diner will mark the end of an era.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#125 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:07 PM

Had lunch and dinner in 8507 on the Fourth of July last year on the Crescent. I'm going to shed a tear with the retirement of the old diners.

Outside of axle count cars, the last run of a Heritage diner will mark the end of an era.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I was on #98 on Fourth of July last year and unfortunately ended up with a V-II diner. Had I been traveling one day earlier or later I would have gotten a Heritage diner, and I was pretty heartbroken about that. Yes, the old cars were kind of run down and were on their last legs, but they were beautiful and gave me a glimpse of the 'Golden Age of Rail' so long ago.

Goodbye Heritage Fleet, I will miss you. 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#126 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

8510 is headed for the Grove. No more heritage dining cars are available for dining.

#127 CHvision

CHvision

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

According to the on track roster, the heritage diners still on the rails will be on the Midwest routes as "axle-count" cars 

----

10031: Dome car will remain. 

Edited by CHvision, 12 May 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#128 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

8510 is headed for the Grove. No more heritage dining cars are available for dining.

RIP. Hopefully they'll do some nostalgia run in the future. 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#129 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

8510 was seen on 98(17) as it makes its way to the Grove. Additionally, the 8531 is not longer being used as an axle count car. The last diner is the 8530.

#130 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,141 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

RIP. Hopefully they'll do some nostalgia run in the future. 

I fear they will sit quietly on their storage track until scrapped or hopefully sold to private operators.

• cpotisch likes this

#131 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:35 AM

I got a picture of 8510 today.  I was on 97, 8510 was deadheading on 98.

Edited by Anderson, 17 May 2018 - 04:38 AM.

• cpotisch likes this
Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#132 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

I think a few of them (heritage bags) are used on trains w/o baggage service in the Midwest to bring some short consists up to minimum length required by one of the host railroads. CN comes to mind, but I might have that wrong. The number of bags in use can exceed the number of bags required for baggage service. The real number is how many are released for service, not delivered,  since a bunch are still being used for training, and not all have been released from Hialeah.

I saw three heratage cars (two of them were diners) on the tail end of a late running northbound Saluki on May 1st at Homewood. The seven car train had Charger 4614 on the lead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users