New timetable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Planudes

Has anyone heard anything definitive about a new Amtrak timetable?

New Jersey Transit just posted new Northeast Corridor timetables on line, and since they have to choreograph rail movements very carefully for Hudson tunnel ice removal, plus the upgrades south of New Brunswick, I presume Amtrak will (or should) have one out shortly.

Shortly is, of course, open to interpretation.

There were reports in February that a new system timetable was coming soon. With the switch to daylight savings this weekend, maybe it will be come out next week. or not.

Here's hoping the timetable is delayed in order to incorporate some lovely improvements into it. Candidates:

1 -- better design of the NEC timetable. There should be separate weekday and weekend timetables, as the current presentation is nearly incompehensible. (I've emailed them to tell them this.)

2 -- tightened schedule for the Vermonter. We can hope, right?

3 -- implementation of the LSL/CL schedule restructure from the PIPs -- I can dream, right?

4 -- more realistically: maybe the new baggage cars will allow for baggage service on the Pennsylvanian or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping the timetable is delayed in order to incorporate some lovely improvements into it. Candidates:

1 -- better design of the NEC timetable. There should be separate weekday and weekend timetables, as the current presentation is nearly incompehensible. (I've emailed them to tell them this.)

2 -- tightened schedule for the Vermonter. We can hope, right?

3 -- implementation of the LSL/CL schedule restructure from the PIPs -- I can dream, right?

4 -- more realistically: maybe the new baggage cars will allow for baggage service on the Pennsylvanian or something.
Today while I was waiting for the Pennsylvanian to board in PGH I noted several Amtrak employees accompanying a small handful of passengers out to the platform, along with overflowing cartfuls of baggage. I wonder where all that luggage went...I'm surprised the employees even helped the passengers with this clear violation of policy.

Something to do with work that may impact schedule. I assume it is track work but I don't have the specifics.

There were reports in February that a new system timetable was coming soon. With the switch to daylight savings this weekend, maybe it will be come out next week. or not.
I emailed Amtrak the other day via their website and I received a response today:

Thank you for contacting us.

In reference to our 2015 System Timetable, it isn't out yet, but expected soon. Please keep checking our website for updates.

We hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Marcia

Amtrak Customer Service

So, not much else to do except wait, I suppose.

I believe the BNSF is doing double-track area north of Seattle, aren't they?

Palmetto: I don't think BNSF is doing that.

I would think it would also be worth delaying the timetable for the deployment of the new baggage cars, but Amtrak probably won't tweak any schedules even when the new baggage cars are deployed.

Neroden: I just checked the BNSF website and their Capex 2105 plan. There is one double-track project and one siding extension on the Bellingham Sub [north of Seattle]. Don't know if the work is in progress, or planned for some time later this year.

If there is, as I suspect, never any good time to stop updating a timetable compilation prior to sending it to the printers (because timetables will probably need to be changed after that point anyway) then it seems likely the new one is at the printers and being held up because of something as mundane as, say, the press broke. Just sayin"....

I've just filled in a satisfaction survey on my last trip. There were several questions about whether the printed timetable was useful. I answered in the affirmative!!!!

Neroden: I just checked the BNSF website and their Capex 2105 plan. There is one double-track project and one siding extension on the Bellingham Sub [north of Seattle]. Don't know if the work is in progress, or planned for some time later this year.
The new timetable for April 6th will not include the final draft for the Cascades. I guess this is the hold up.

And Oregon apparently is not going to fund Cascades trains between PDX and EUG beginning in July.

They will have about $5million for the next two years, not 0.

And Oregon apparently is not going to fund Cascades trains between PDX and EUG beginning in July.
The updated report from Trains Magazine clarifies the proposed budget issue in the state legislature which has $5 million for the Cascades service, which is short of the $10 million needed to fully support the Cascades train: Cascades trains south of Portland could end if budget plan is approved. The Cascades service is not going to get cut, this is just a budget funding game. The original subsidy number from Amtrak was $20 million, which was negotiated to ~$10 million (which is a big drop).

Excerpt of the update in the article:

Sen. Devlin told me on Friday afternoon that he feels passenger train advocates have misunderstood the Cascades funding situation. He noted that ODOT's original proposal was to fund Amtrak's entire $20 million request from the general fund, while other sources have contributed in the past, including taxes on non-automobile fuels (such as lawn mower fuel) and vehicle registration & license plate fees. (Note: Oregon's state constitution prohibits gasoline tax funds from being spent on anything other than roads.) "Basically, we're asking ODOT to find $5 million more" to complement $5 million from the general fund, Sen. Devlin said. "If [ODOT doesn't] find the money, the legislature will search for alternative ways of funding the Cascades. I don't believe there will be a reduction in service."

When asked his reaction to ODOT's statement before his committee's Transportation & Economic Development Subcommittee on Wednesday that the $5 million funding level would force a service shutdown south of Portland, Devlin said he was unaware of the statement and does not know the basis for it, but reiterated "our intent is not to diminish the service, but rather to minimize the use of general fund money.
So, back to the new system timetable, presumably taking effect on April 6...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back