Double Days are back (3/16/15-5/16/15)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
I didn't see it on the AGR or Amtrak front pages, and didn't get an email yet, but I noticed it when I checked my AGR offers.

https://amtrakguestrewards.com/DoubleDays

STOP DREAMING. START PACKING.

Travel Amtrak® March 16th through May 16th, 2015 and earn double points to over 500 destinations across the country.
Last time I scored 5100 points (all from 100 point segments), although I had more tier points with some 3-segment days.

I just got an email as well. Gotta be quick to break news on AU :lol: still a very generous time frame. Coupled with the usual one in the fall you can do pretty good with AGR.

Does this offer apply to travel previously scheduled during this time frame, or for only new reservations starting today?

Just got the e-mail and Registered! This is how I make Select by taking Point Runs to Taylor to eat great Bar- B- Q, which I would do anyway, but the 200 TQPs fo each trip plus the Bonus points of 250 plus the Points from Chase on my AGR MC help pay for LD Sleeper trips I otherwise couldn't afford!

Does this offer apply to travel previously scheduled during this time frame, or for only new reservations starting today?
Any travel you take during the period (assuming you sign up for the promo) -- doesn't matter when you reserve.
Or even sign up for the promo after taking trips during the promo period and AGR will backdate the double points.

Oh - I just noticed I got the message in my email more than 2 hours after I got my confirmation that I signed up. The title of the message is "Exclusive early registration for Double Days‏", although I'm not quite sure if there's any AGR member who can't sign up right away or where it doesn't show on the account page.

I just signed up myself. Also, no clue how "exclusive early registration" has any bearing on it - at the end of the day, we all get same points...

I just signed up myself. Also, no clue how "exclusive early registration" has any bearing on it - at the end of the day, we all get same points...
I understand event ticket presales for members, credit card holders, etc, but Double Days isn't really a limited commodity where there's "competition" for that limited commodity.

With fares as low as $11.04 Round trip with the Senior fare, I'm ready to take some short hops. I usually take the Keystones. I have two Megabus trips planned for the next two months from Harrisburg to Chicago($4 round trip) and plan to do some point runs. Never a shortage of choices in Chicago. With an upgrade to business class and/or using my coupons to get into the Metropolitan lounge, I can spend some time there after the all night bus ride. It's kind of crazy,but I enjoy it.

With fares as low as $11.04 Round trip with the Senior fare, I'm ready to take some short hops. I usually take the Keystones. I have two Megabus trips planned for the next two months from Harrisburg to Chicago($4 round trip) and plan to do some point runs. Never a shortage of choices in Chicago. With an upgrade to business class and/or using my coupons to get into the Metropolitan lounge, I can spend some time there after the all night bus ride. It's kind of crazy,but I enjoy it.
I can think of some interesting point runs around here. I've done Richmond, CA to San Francisco for $12, minus AAA discount. That's two segments. GAC-SCC-SJC is $8.50 minus any discounts, and one can get a transfer to take VTA back. We've got lots of options around here.

A bit off-topic, but I don't see "Chicago" as an option from Harrisburg. Are you sure it's megabus?

You take Megabus from Harrisburg to State College, then connect with the bus that goes to Chicago via Cleveland and Toledo. I would leave directly from State College,but they don't allow overnight parking. Megabus just added new dates through the summer yesterday and many of their fares are still a dollar.including State College-Chicago.

I got my notice yesterday and signed up. I love this promotion but am not as skilled as many of you at finding points runs (something for me to work on!).

Hearing about Double Days was some good news on a day full of news about miserable weather and anti-rail Congresspeople behaving badly!

Yeah, I'm in Los Angeles. I can't find any trips cheaper than $9, which means that even with double days those points will cost me 4.5 cents each. It's not really worth it unless I actually want to go somewhere.

Yeah, I'm in Los Angeles. I can't find any trips cheaper than $9, which means that even with double days those points will cost me 4.5 cents each. It's not really worth it unless I actually want to go somewhere.
BUR-GDL-LAX as a multi-city trip for $9. 200 tier qualifying points and doubles under this promotion (max two 100 point segments per day). You could take Metrolink back since it's cheaper, although perhaps Amtrak to get another 100 points (won't double though). Or just round trip for $18. Also AAA discount if you book early enough.

It's not really about the skill, but your location ;)
You are so right about the location--when I work on a Saturday, I technically could take Amtrak from TRE to PJC (about a 10-minute ride). However, when I checked the price (thinking of a points run), the ticket cost almost as much as PHL to PJC. Don't know if it's because of being in the expensive New York-Phlly corridor or if they have a deal with NJ Transit (or some other reason).

@Bjartmarr:
If you use your points efficiently, you can often break even at 4.5 cents per point (an LAX-CHI roomette, 20k points without the credit card or 19k points with it after the 5% rebate, can crack $1000 if you travel via the programmed LAX-PDX-CHI routing; that translates into a bit over 5 cents per point). An LAX-SEA roomette is in a similar position. Moreover, properly milked points runs can also grab status along the way, and each status level comes with a bump in point earning on base points. Also, do remember that NARP/AAA membership should knock 10% off those prices, so you're actually looking at $8.10 for those 400 points (or around $0.0203/point). Trust me, you can get $0.02 worth out of each point.

To underline the combination of status, credit card, and Double Days earning, if I made the run you'd be looking at I would get 616 points for $8.10:
-100/leg base earning (200 total)

-100/leg status-based earning (200 total, from Select Executive status)

-100/leg Double Days earning (200 total)

-16 total from the credit card (2 points/dollar for 16)

The earn would be about 76 points per dollar (or 1.3 cents per point).

Oh, I didn't realize that a multi-city trip counted as two trips. Thanks!

Do I have to find the conductor twice to get both tickets lifted, or will they do them both at the same time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back