Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

LAX Metropolitan lounge question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

From the lobby (public waiting area) of the L.A. Amtrak station (LAX) how does someone locate the Metropolitan Lounge?
I can use the lounge (having a roomette ABQ-LAX) but I'm thinking I may first stop to purchase a meal or food upon arrival in L.A.
    I “Googled” but could not find a ‘layout’ of the station.  Is there one available online?
Thanks

P.S.

Is there a list online of restaurants, food vendors inside the L.A. Union Station?

Edited by crabby_appleton1950, 27 February 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#2 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

From the lobby (public waiting area) of the L.A. Amtrak station (LAX) how does someone locate the Metropolitan Lounge?
I can use the lounge (having a roomette ABQ-LAX) but I'm thinking I may first stop to purchase a meal or food upon arrival in L.A.
    I “Googled” but could not find a ‘layout’ of the station.  Is there one available online?
Thanks

P.S.
Is there a list online of restaurants, food vendors inside the L.A. Union Station?

The elevator and stairways to the Metropolitan Lounge are a bit difficult to locate. I was fortunate to have a Red Cap show me the way. Certainly, personnel in the Station will be able to help you.

As to restaurants available, there is a full service restaurant available along with other options. I chose a Subway location and was quickly served with a delicious sandwich. Be aware, at least when I was there at the Metropolitan Lounge, bags of Frito-Lay Company chips were available along with soft drinks and coffee. One may bring into the Lounge wnatever food one purchases outside of the Lounge.

#3 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:37 PM

This doesn't reveal very much...  http://www.metrolink...on_Brochure.pdf ...but it's a start.

#4 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:51 PM

The elevator and stairways to the Metropolitan Lounge are a bit difficult to locate. I was fortunate to have a Red Cap show me the way. Certainly, personnel in the Station will be able to help you.

Do you recall where the elevator is located in respect to the food area in the "lobby"?

thanks

#5 pianocat

pianocat

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Playing piano, listening to music, vegetarian cooking, train travel!

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

Last summer I passed through LAUS, coming in to LA on SWC from Riverside. Let's just say it took me about 4 distinct individuals to FIND the entrance to the Lounge. Once found It is all worth it. The elevator is in a far corner where you'd never expect to find the first class lounge. Persevere ...".that's my advice.

#6 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

The restaurant Philippe The Original is often recommended (0.3 miles):

https://www.google.c...986!2d34.059681

Zoom in a bit on the map and you will see other restaurants even nearer LA Union Station. Many of them serve Mexican food because of the proximity to Olivera Street.

There is a restaurant right at the Station - Traxx - and a Subway.

Edited by KmH, 27 February 2015 - 10:05 PM.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#7 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,287 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:11 PM

Since you're riding the SWC from ABQ in a Sleeper you'll have an Early, Limited Menu Breakfast on the Train in the Diner! ( Scheduled arrival, 8:15am) The Metro Lounge has pastries, juice, coffee and water in the morning and. You can leave your luggage with the friendly desk attendants in the Lounge!

I'd say use a Redcap to get from the Train to the Lounge, they'll pick you up on the cart and take you to the back door of the Lounge from the Platform!( crosses active tracks)

If you want to walk to the Lounge, go down the ramp from the platform, turn right in the tunnel and walk till you get to the Amtrak Ticket counters on your left, turn left a the counters, go down the hall till you see a wall with rent a car signs, the elevator is to your left behind the wall, goes up one floor and the Lounge is on the left as you step put of the elevator through the Big Wooden door! Not sure if there's signs there yet or not, there wasn't last October on the way to the Gathering!

If you're spending some time in LAX and want an excellent complete Breakfast or
a Great French Dip Sandwich ( Lamb is my fave) go to the famous Philippe, 1001 Alameda St.! ( Google it up for Menu, info etc. Its a LA and Train Riders Tradition!)

Go out the front door of Union Station, turn right and go a couple of blocks on Alameda Street, you see it on the corner across the street past the Chevron Filling Station that's in all the movies!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#8 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

Union station actually got a new website a few months ago and it's pretty good! http://www.metro.net.../union-station/

They have a listing of all the services and restaurants, along with a map of the inside of the station.

The Amtrak Metropolitan lounge is not marked well on the map or inside the station. The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

I can post an annotated map later tonight.

#9 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

Union station actually got a new website a few months ago and it's pretty good! http://www.metro.net.../union-station/

They have a listing of all the services and restaurants, along with a map of the inside of the station.

The Amtrak Metropolitan lounge is not marked well on the map or inside the station. The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

I can post an annotated map later tonight.

The map on their website needs updating...there is a pastry shop near Ben and Jerry's. Across from the Amtrak ticket windows.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#10 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

Have a Red Cap take you there. It is "around the corner" from the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget and Hertz kiosks. There are actually a couple of signs there directing you to the Metropolitan Lounge ... if you see them.

Edited by FrensicPic, 27 February 2015 - 11:34 PM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

#11 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

I'm a disabled senior who uses a cane and can walk only short distances.

My trip is SWC ABQ-LAX, and then Pacific Surfliner to SAN, and then back to ABQ.

I scheduled it with about 2 hours between trains, being extra cautious, thinking I'd rather have time to kill than be anxious about making the connections.

Thought I might get a bite in LAX each way, between trains; or check out Famima?

Perhaps I should use a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

and then to the Metropolitan Lounge,

and then again to my next train?

#12 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:39 AM

The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

So, looking at the map, the elevator would be (also) near the Famima?  I could take a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

take the elevator to the lounge,

and take another Red Cap to my 2nd train?

#13 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

Is the Traxx Restaurant still there?

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,287 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

Is the Traxx Restaurant still there?

Yes, but its not open till Lunch time and for Dinner! Good food but pricey!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

OK - thanks to all for the info.  Have printed the map and some of the info. 

Much appreciated.  

#16 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

The elevator up to the lounge is located in union station west just beyond the Amtrak ticket counter and the Budget/Hertz rental car desks.

So, looking at the map, the elevator would be (also) near the Famima?  I could take a Red Cap from the train to Famima,

take the elevator to the lounge,

and take another Red Cap to my 2nd train?

"Behind" Famima and the Amtrak ticket windows near the car rental kiosks. 

Yes, you can take a Red Cap for your second train. If you are in the Metropolitan Lounge, Red Caps will be available there and will take you out the "back door" to your train. No need to go back down the elevator.

John...

#17 TN Tin Man

TN Tin Man

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Thanks

P.S.

Thank You for asking this Question and for the informative replies.

I would have been searching for the old area across from Traxx.

I haven't been through LA in a few years and didn't know they moved the lounge.

Edited by TN Tin Man, 28 February 2015 - 12:01 PM.

"What good is the law without the TIN MEN enforcing it" (Finally Retired)

Empire Builder x7, Coast Starlight x6, California Zephyr x6, Pioneer x2, Desert Wind x2, Southwest Chief x2, Pere Marquette, Blue Water, Cascades, Surfliner.

#18 rickycourtney

rickycourtney

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:53 AM

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Here's a map of Union Station West with the elevators up to the Metropolitan Lounge circled in red. It's around the corner and behind the Amtrak ticket office/baggage check. This is a cropped map, if you want to see the full context of the station go to the Union Station website.

Attached File  Union Station Map.jpg   98.9KB   24 downloads

#19 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Here's a map of Union Station West with the elevators up to the Metropolitan Lounge circled in red. It's around the corner and behind the Amtrak ticket office/baggage check. This is a cropped map, if you want to see the full context of the station go to the Union Station website.

Wow!  Great "resolution" (?).  I tried to enlarge a previous map and it wasn't any good.

Many thanks.  I'm printing it out and taking it with me. 

smileys_thanks_771216.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users