Free companion & roundtrip rewards travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
From what I've read, a free companion coach ticket is good for roundtrip fare as long as it's booked like that from the beginning. Right?

It doesn't work the same way with reward travel, right? Even if booked as a roundtrip fare (Chicago to New Orleans, New Orleans to Chicago, for example), each way is considered one trip and points would be needed for both legs?

Thanks for clarifying!

That's correct. The round trip has to be booked together, no stopovers, open-jaw ect.

I went with a friend to finally visit and "due" North Carolinas Amtrak. We were ticketed round-trip NYP-CLT. We got off in Raleigh going southbound and wended are way across the Piedmont Corridor on other tickets.

I'd like to do an overnight to Reno on the Zephyr, but the return would be too early. Anyone know if the return can be on a different route, like a bus/train combo?

I'd like to do an overnight to Reno on the Zephyr, but the return would be too early. Anyone know if the return can be on a different route, like a bus/train combo?
If returning Westbound You can do a Thruway Bus/Capitol Corridor Train combo from Reno to Emeryville or as far as San Jose with the connection from bus to train in Sacramento!
Thruway #543 leaves Reno Weekdays @1105am/#743 on Weekends. Arrives SAC around 330pm/change to Cap Corridor train, EMY @ 515pm, SJC @ 648pm.

There is also a 440pm Bus/Train Combo, #551 on Weekdays, #751 on Weekends that arrives in SAC @ 855pm/change to Cap Corridor train, terminates in EMY @ 1108pm.

Eastbound from Reno, I know of no buses that connect with the Zephyr, but you could check Greyhound so see if anything might get you to Salt Lake City to make the Middle of the night connection there???

Or possibly there are buses from Reno to Grand Junction and Denver that would connect with the Zephyr East bound, Swadian Hardcore, our resident bus expert lives in Reno, you might PM him??

Last edited by a moderator:
If returning Westbound You can do a Thruway Bus/Capitol Corridor Train combo from Reno to Emeryville or as far as San Jose with the connection from bus to train in Sacramento!
Thruway #543 leaves Reno Weekdays @1105am/#743 on Weekends. Arrives SAC around 330pm/change to Cap Corridor train, EMY @ 515pm, SJC @ 648pm.

There is also a 440pm Bus/Train Combo, #551 on Weekdays, #751 on Weekends that arrives in SAC @ 855pm/change to Cap Corridor train, terminates in EMY @ 1108pm.

Eastbound from Reno, I know of no buses that connect with the Zephyr, but you could check Greyhound so see if anything might get you to Salt Lake City to make the Middle of the night connection there???

Or possibly there are buses from Reno to Grand Junction and Denver that would connect with the Zephyr East bound, Swadian Hardcore, our resident bus expert lives in Reno, you might PM him??
I know I can book a bus-train combo, but I'm just wondering if that will work as a round-trip eligible for the companion coupon.

Yes, as long as the origin station and destination stations are the same!

I went southbound on the Carolian to Charlotte and home on the Crescent (that wasn't a fun night). They use different routes.

Back