Photo

Houston Space Center --> is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

I just wanted to ask your opinions on the Space Center in Houston.

Looking at the website:  http://spacecenter.org/  there seems to be lots of kiddy and family stuff.

I was wondering if it is also sufficiently interesting for a mid 40s grumpy bloke like myself who will probably be going alone.

Is it just noisy kids running around and pressing buttons, or is there something there for people who want to see more nitty gritty technical details?

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

Visiting the Space Center in Florida is MUCH Better IMHO! But if you're in the Clear Lake Area its OK! It is Historic, worth a few hours of time and overall interesting for adults and kids!

There's plenty to see and do in the Houston Area, I'd recommend going on down the Gulf Freeway to Galveston,out to Baytown on I-10 to see the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship USS Texas over the Johnson Space Center!

Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of the sprawl of Greater Houston and it's horrible traffic, but between about 930am and 200pm and after 1100pm till 500am you can get around on the Freeways if you have a car!

Edited by jimhudson, 12 February 2015 - 03:46 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:48 AM

If you have an interest in space it's worth a one-day visit.

They do have several historic artifacts on display, including the command module from Apollo 17. It's behind plastic, but you can walk right up and look (through the plastic) inside of it. There are also some lunar samples on display; again behind glass but up close.

There is also a group tour of the Mission Control Center and some of the training facilities. ETA: As well as Rocket Park, where a Saturn 5 and some other spacecraft are on display.

Disclaimer: The last time I was there was several years ago during the space shuttle era. I'm not up on any recent changes.

Edited by ehbowen, 15 February 2015 - 05:49 AM.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users