Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Private car rules for Amtrak?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terry_*

Guest_Terry_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

I posted a question about Amtrak car 10001, however it does seem that it's not available for charter.  Where I was originally going with this was getting an "observation car" (one with the platform on the end) on the NEC.

Since this is Amtrak territory does Amtrak even allow people on the back platform while the train is at speed?

#2 Crescent ATN & TCL

Crescent ATN & TCL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

They actually do, I've seen many a private car with people sitting on the rear platform in folding chairs.

#3 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I'm not sure that riding on the rear platform at 150 mph is a good idea. 

#4 lo2e

lo2e

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

I'm not even sure going 79 on the rear platform is something I'd do.  If that train goes into emergency, I know they don't stop on a dime but I can imagine it could possibly still be jarring enough to send someone flying.

#5 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

If you're serious about wanting to charter a private car on Amtrak, contact the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners or subscribe to their magazine, Private Varnish. There's plenty of equipment out there; it just takes lots and lots of money to "get things rolling".

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#6 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

Addendum to above: Nobody ever wants to say exactly "how much" money, and that's because every trip is different. Each trip has to be custom-planned around the requirements of the charterer, and there are too many variables to put out a table of charter costs. For example, if there are enough PVs on a train Amtrak will require an extra locomotive...more $$$.

With that said, last year I contacted a PV owner here in the Houston area and asked if he could give a general, "ballpark" figure for a charter which is done frequently: A long weekend in New Orleans, leaving Houston on a Friday at lunchtime serving brunch upon boarding and dinner en route; staying over at the station in New Orleans for three nights using the cars as a hotel with continental breakfast or brunch each morning (lunch and dinner on your own in New Orleans), departure Monday morning with a full breakfast, lunch and dinner before arrival back in Houston. He replied that he could do such a trip for eight adults (four couples) in a sleeping car and dome-lounge car for a total of $20,500.00 including car rental, Amtrak and parking charges, crew (one chef and two stewards), and suitable food and beverage (premium quality, but nothing exotic such as Kobe beef or Beluga caviar). Since this trip uses cars based in Houston and requires no positioning moves, it can be regarded as the "low end" of PV charters. There really is no high end; if you have a million to spend and want to spend it criss-crossing the United States for six weeks in a private train with 20 or 30 of your best friends we can blow through every dime of that million and then some!

• akbrian likes this

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!

#7 Guest_Motorcar_*

Guest_Motorcar_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

I'm not even sure going 79 on the rear platform is something I'd do.  If that train goes into emergency, I know they don't stop on a dime but I can imagine it could possibly still be jarring enough to send someone flying.

Rode thousands of miles on open platform cars, at 90 mph hit debris that popped an air hose. It's a non-issue, the train just comes to a stop. The brakes hit and the momentum carries you toward the equipment not off the back of the platform.

#8 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:53 AM

Interesting.

That's about $2,600 a head. And you're spending 5 nights in the cars (two en route plus 3)?

A good room in NOLA will cost about $150 a head (double occupancy) per night. Figure another $75 a head for meals per day (at least). Coach travel would be about $50 a head each way, so $100 for the trip. That adds up to $1200 or so, per head.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#9 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Not real sure without looking, but I would think that much of the PV out there is good for 79, maybe 90 (SWC routing), but I don't know that many make the 115 or 125 cut for the NEC.

"Beech Grove" never goes 150, but I'm sure it goes 125.

Edited by VentureForth, 05 February 2015 - 12:01 PM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Ahem. If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it.

#11 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:06 PM

Interesting.

That's about $2,600 a head. And you're spending 5 nights in the cars (two en route plus 3)?

A good room in NOLA will cost about $150 a head (double occupancy) per night. Figure another $75 a head for meals per day (at least). Coach travel would be about $50 a head each way, so $100 for the trip. That adds up to $1200 or so, per head.

Just the three nights at the New Orleans station...Houston to New Orleans is a day trip. However, that figure did include snacks during the day and cocktails in the dome car each evening, so with the lounge space and attendant on duty I would say it was nearly the equivalent of a deluxe concierge room.

#12 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you're willing to pay for premium (concierge) service, it's not really ridiculously priced - assuming you can find 7 people who agree with that philosophy!

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI; 9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI; 3/15 CONO - Round trip; 9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI; 11/15 CONO - Round trip; 5/16 EB - Round trip; 12/16 CONO -  Round Trip; 5/17 EB - Round trip; 10/17 CONO - Round trip

#13 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

PV excursions are not necessarily extravagantly priced.  We've done some reasonable short trips through LA Rail.

I've been on the open platform of the Tioga Pass going 90 mph through Camp Pendleton in Southern California...it was a blast. Just stay aware, possibly hang on and consider eye protection. Could someone fly off in some type of emergency or even bad track? Sure but, I'll still be out there!  

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#14 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,833 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

I've never personally ridden on the platform of a lounge or business rail car, but I have seen many people doing it on various Amtrak LD Trains and Specials!

Never seen anyone on the platform on the NEC between WAS and NYP however!
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#15 neutralist

neutralist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Futbol

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

Ahem. If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it.

Not if you need to set a target for fund raising purporses. If someone want to do a full-length recording of the entire SWC route on the rear platform and upload it to YouTube ( before the route gets shut down ), private car is the only way to do so.

Edited by neutralist, 05 February 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#16 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:22 PM

It's not possible anyway. No private cars can be attached to an active Acela set. The shroud can't be raised while in service. And it would be to much trouble to take off.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#17 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:05 PM

It's not possible anyway. No private cars can be attached to an active Acela set. The shroud can't be raised while in service. And it would be to much trouble to take off.

I guess I got a little carried away with the speed. I forgot that only the Acela gets up to 150. I guess I should have said, what, 120? I do believe that Amtrak requires private cars carried on the NEC to be capable of high speeds. Still wouldn't recommend sitting outside, though. 

#18 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

The majority of private cars are rated for 110. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#19 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:16 PM

The last I read, private cars on the NEC were limited to the LD trains since they never go over 110mph anyways. At one time Amtrak had a certification program for private cars to be rated for 125mph, but I believe it is defunct now. Even so, I doubt Amtrak would want to risk delaying its Regionals with any switching or risk having any mechanical problems with them on those trains.

• Steve4031 likes this
Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#20 cx824

cx824

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

That's why I was interested in getting Amtrak 10001.  I'm not really looking for private rail "service", I could do without any food etc, I'm just interested in running on the NEC on the back platform (or at least with the door open). 

I had hoped that costs for an Amtrak piece of equipment would be less expensive. 

With private cars, I'd be interested in riding on a positional move that involved the NEC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users