Snow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
Does amtrak run in 8-12" of snow? I'm talking about the NEC. Supposed to take a trip Tue but supposed to snow Monday here :( ((

We've done it before. As far as I can see, it depends more on the combination of snow and severe wind, with the possibility of downing the catenary. Last week service was suspended out of Boston after the 5:35pm departure from South Station on Monday evening, and did not resume until the 7:05am Acela departure/9:30am departure Wednesday morning, but that storm certainly appears to be worse than what the incoming one will be.

I can't really find a concrete forecast, local Boston stations say 6-12+, Weather Channel says 12-16. But what I would keep a close eye on would be the wind. I see that out in Chicago they're predicting it will be rather windy, so it is certainly a possibility that there may be cancellations, or service disruptions. Keep an eye out on Amtrak's front page and look for a Northeast Weather advisory starting Sunday night and through Monday, to see if there's an possible impact to your travel.

What train are you suppose to be traveling on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Supposed to be on the 171 regional out of PVD. Of course that presumes I can get to the station. Ugh!!

Unfortunately being an earlier Regional, if there are to be any cancellations on Tuesday, it would be more likely to be on the chopping block.

And yes, ugh! You're telling me. In one round-trip assignment during the storm last week, I had two trains I was suppose to work be outright cancelled, and my third train that did run, only ran from DC to NY, instead of all the way to Boston. Was a whole lot of traveling to work only four hours! lol

That being said, good luck to you and I!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Supposed to be on the 171 regional out of PVD. Of course that presumes I can get to the station. Ugh!!
Love Providence. I used to live in Hartford, CT and spent a lot of long weekends with a friend who worked at the Butler Clinic and attended Brown. Sadly he's passed away.

Ugh that's so not what I wanted to hear lol! I'm going to NYC which is supposed to only get three inches roughly. Tuesday weather looks fine. Cold but fine. It's Monday that might mess things up. The rest of the week looks ok at this time. What really gets me is I bought my ticket weeks ago. Got a great price. Rescheduling at this time would cost me more money :(

If there is a service advisory late Sunday in to Monday morning before it gets bad, call and ask about being moved to an earlier train if you can go down Monday. If not, not sure what to suggest, unfortunately...

I may have to just bite the bullet and go Wed if Monday is bad :(

Anyway thanks to everyone who answered :)

Part of the problem with trains north of NYP is that the tracks are owned and controlled from New Rochelle, NY (I think) to New Haven, CT by Metro North and/or ConnDOT. If they shut down (for whatever reason), then Amtrak has no choice but not to operate north of NYP.

Ugh that's so not what I wanted to hear lol! I'm going to NYC which is supposed to only get three inches roughly. Tuesday weather looks fine. Cold but fine. It's Monday that might mess things up. The rest of the week looks ok at this time. What really gets me is I bought my ticket weeks ago. Got a great price. Rescheduling at this time would cost me more money :(
Amtrak will rebook you at no cost. I'm booked on 2167 Monday from BOS. I'm keeping an eye on amtrak.com.

I don't mean to doubt you but they will???? What would I need to do? Aside from watching amtrak dot com of course :)

I don't mean to doubt you but they will???? What would I need to do? Aside from watching amtrak dot com of course :)
Yes, of course, if Amtrak trains do not run, then they will book you on their train on another day at no change in cost to you. What they may NOT decide to do is book you on alternative transportation for the same day as your original travel.

But sometimes they do, or at least used to do, that. Back in the big floods of 1993 on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, my children and I and one of their school friends had our eastbound SWC annulled in Albuquerque because the bridge over the Missouri R. west of KC was closed. The Amtrak agent rebooked all of us on United Airlines at Amtrak expense to our original final destination (Minneapolis, MN). I'm sure Amtrak paid more for those airplane tickets than the total original cost of our entire Amtrak itinerary.

Oh wow. See I learned something new :) I was getting ready to pay a higher price which would get me cuz I got a good price.

Blond an Amtrak employee on Facebook posted a list of trains running in modified service tomorrow. 171 was NOT listed. I had to change from 2167 to 2165 an hour earlier. Your trip is safe.

Tuesday should be fine. Parking ban in the city of pvd for Monday and schools are closed.

Thank you again to everyone who replied. I tend to be a worry wort :/

Blond my suggestion is be prepared for delays. I got to RTE a lot earlier than usual. 2163 and 173 departed 20 minutes late each. I boarded 2165 which left BOS 30 minutes late and we're now about 40 minutes late. I could give less of a hoot. But all the business "insert choice words here" were b*tching and moaning that the train is running behind. I was already in a iffy mood. I told one guy to shut up. He should be glad that the trains are running. I'm across from someone who was supposed to fly to PHL out of Logan and her flight was canceled. When I said that he quickly shut his mouth and told me I was right.

End of rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back