Nearby liquor store in LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedhd

Train Attendant
Riding the SW chief home, would like to imbibe in a few drinks in my roomette without paying the overpriced Amtrak charges. Is there a liquor store nearby Union Station that is in walking distance?

The Amtrak website shows Union Station in L.A. to be at 800 North Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.

You can enter that into Google maps, and once the area is on your screen look at the upper left.

You'll see "Search nearby" and you can enter 'Liquor Store".

Go out of Union Station onto Jackson street and go east, cross the bridge and go about a block. There's a Walgreens on the left with a full liquor department. Also a good place to stock up on snacks.

I had to walk quite a ways into Japantown to find a meager selection of booze. Someone said recently there was --what---A Whole Foods? Or something close to LAUS.

I had to walk quite a ways into Japantown to find a meager selection of booze. Someone said recently there was --what---A Whole Foods? Or something close to LAUS.
According to Google Maps the closest Whole Foods to LAUS is 3.9 miles away at 331 North Glendale Avenue, Glendale, CA 91206

The "Little Tokyo" district (Japantown) is 4.2 miles away from LAUS at East Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013

I do see (on Google Maps) a Walmart Neighborhood Market (not a full sized Walmart) about 1/2 mile from LAUS at 701 W Cesar E Chavez Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Untitled.jpg

The "Little Tokyo" district (Japantown) is 4.2 miles away from LAUS at East Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Not sure why Google would say 4.2 miles -- Little Tokyo is only a few blocks south of Union Station (see map below -- the Japanese American National Museum is in Little Tokyo).

Pretty sure the closest "full" supermarket to Union Station is the Ralphs at 9th and Flower, which is about 2 miles away. I had Google show the walking directions, but it's easily reached via the subway (Red or Purple lines) -- it's 2 blocks south of the 7th Street/Metro Center station.

Note that per Los Angeles city ordinance, if you don't bring your own bag to the store (any store), they'll charge you 10 cents for one.

zqQIku8.jpg

Pretty sure the closest "full" supermarket to Union Station is the Ralphs at 9th and Flower, which is about 2 miles away.
The Walmart Neighborhood Market is a full sized grocery store only 1/2 mile from LAUS and has liquor.

See their weekly flyer here.

Los Angeles Walmart Neighborhood Market

701 W Cesar E Chavez Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 337-0172

And I see that there is a liquor store next door to the Walmart - both only a 15-19 minute walk from Union Station.

Sorrento Liquor Store

801 West Cesar E Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Untitled.jpg

Not sure why Google would say 4.2 miles -- Little Tokyo is only a few blocks south of Union Station (see map below -- the Japanese American National Museum is in Little Tokyo).

Pretty sure the closest "full" supermarket to Union Station is the Ralphs at 9th and Flower, which is about 2 miles away. I had Google show the walking directions, but it's easily reached via the subway (Red or Purple lines) -- it's 2 blocks south of the 7th Street/Metro Center station.

Note that per Los Angeles city ordinance, if you don't bring your own bag to the store (any store), they'll charge you 10 cents for one.

zqQIku8.jpg
Thanks. Here I was congratulating myself for walking eight miles roundtrip. Didn't seem that far. Wish I had known about the Walmart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the closest "full" supermarket to Union Station is the Ralphs at 9th and Flower, which is about 2 miles away.
The Walmart Neighborhood Market is a full sized grocery store only 1/2 mile from LAUS and has liquor.

See their weekly flyer here.

Los Angeles Walmart Neighborhood Market

701 W Cesar E Chavez Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012

(213) 337-0172

And I see that there is a liquor store next door to the Walmart - both only a 15-19 minute walk from Union Station.

Sorrento Liquor Store

801 West Cesar E Chavez Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Untitled.jpg
I like your inclusion of the Essential Dog Leg to get us to another Essential Stop!

Sorry to bring back an old topic but asking the same question. Does that convenience store in LAUPT not sell wine and liquor? Transferring from LAC was going to take the shuttle bus, but might Uber to stop at a liquor store if nothing available at the station or very near. Anything change I'm 2 years since this was last discussed? Thanks!

Not sure about the Liquor in the Union Station convienence store since I haven't been there in a year, but there are plenty of places around Union Station and Downtown (short walk under I-10) that sell alcohol.

I had to walk quite a ways into Japantown to find a meager selection of booze. Someone said recently there was --what---A Who

le Foods? Or something close to LAUS.
I don't think you were in Japan town formally called "Little Tokyo" as its quite a ways from union station, more in likely China Town. A place you could probably buy anything.

No problem, just took Uber instead of the Fly Away bus and asked him to stop. And yes, Phillippes is good too, but we decided to eat at Traxx instead. Love the food there, the steamed mussels over couscous in spicy tomato broth is terrific.

Also had the green chili posole which was also fantastic. Running late, and getting later, but we're in no hurry. Have the absolute worst SCA I've encountered, but again, not a problem for us, but some other passengers had no idea how to put beds together or even turn off their lights. (Touch panel type....you would think it's self explanatory but.....) oh well, saves me $30 in tips I suppose.

I don't think you were in Japan town formally called "Little Tokyo" as its quite a ways from union station, more in likely China Town. A place you could probably buy anything.
Little Tokyo is less than a mile away from Union Station, which puts it well within reach of almost any actively mobile person. You can also take the light rail service to get there if walking is difficult for you.

801 W Ceasar is up and running every day at 9:30am for your liquor needs. 10 min walk from LAUS

Little Tokyo is less than a mile away from Union Station, which puts it well within reach of almost any actively mobile person. You can also take the light rail service to get there if walking is difficult for you.
Yeah your correct, I was thinking it was further than it actually is.

Back