Train Day 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MDRailfan

Does anyone have first hand info on possible Amtrak Displays at either Phil 30th Street Station or DC Union? Last year I was hoping to see both types but DC only had superliner sleeper, no viewliner sleepers. Does anyone think because of the new viewliner 2's coming out that DC this year may have both on display

Does anyone have first hand info on possible Amtrak Displays at either Phil 30th Street Station or DC Union? Last year I was hoping to see both types but DC only had superliner sleeper, no viewliner sleepers. Does anyone think because of the new viewliner 2's coming out that DC this year may have both on display
I'm not sure what they have planned for NTD this year, but I believe the reason there was no Viewliner in DC is two fold. There are no trains that orginate at DC with Viewliner sleepers, and the current Viewliner fleet seems to spread as thin as saran wrap across the country there aren't just that many spares sitting around.

Its early in the game to determine what National Train day will be like in 2015. The event used to be larger but its still nice to see. Amtrak has had Viewliner's and Diners on display at PHL and Superliners at WAS. If I were to guess the Superliners are pulled from LD train low use periods. The Heritage diner that was at PHL two years ago was from the Crescent. Have no idea about the one Viewliner that I saw at PHL a while back. The other equipment displayed were private RR cars, Ben Levin's entire private train and other odd historical pieces. I hope to attend again this year. It is very unlikely that the name of the event will change as much of the equipment on display is not Amtrak owned. SEPTA, NJ transit and a host of other commuter trains and equipment is there

Last year in Toledo my feeble memory recalls a Superliner Diner and Sleeper,,,, I looked at the last used car numbers and they were CZ - confirmed by the SCA doing the tour although he said they had brought them over from Beech Grove.

Last year in Toledo my feeble memory recalls a Superliner Diner and Sleeper,,,, I looked at the last used car numbers and they were CZ - confirmed by the SCA doing the tour although he said they had brought them over from Beech Grove.
Yes - they are usually in much to nice of condition to have come from revenue service.

The chances of there being a Viewliner II sleeper being ready for public display in 4 months is pretty much zero.
There is at least one of each Viewliner II type available. By May, there could be (should be?) a set of Vw II sleepers, bag-dorms, and diner cars out for final testing, Would any of those be at WAS or PHL for National Train day? Don't know. But I could see Amtrak having a set at DC for the press and publicity. Amtrak has 5 months to make their plans.

The chances of there being a Viewliner II sleeper being ready for public display in 4 months is pretty much zero.
There is at least one of each Viewliner II type available. By May, there could be (should be?) a set of Vw II sleepers, bag-dorms, and diner cars out for final testing, Would any of those be at WAS or PHL for National Train day? Don't know. But I could see Amtrak having a set at DC for the press and publicity. Amtrak has 5 months to make their plans.
More like 3-1/2 months.

Without going into much detail, stand by on NTD '15. Things may go differently this year.

A LOT differently. It is being discussed right now.

That's too bad. Last year at SPUD, there was 3 cars from Amtrak, Sleeper, Dinning, and Sleeper. and there was a lot of people there! I was there kinda towards end of the day, and I was answering a lot of questions for people when I was in the sleeper car. Lot of those people I would guess never been on the train due to their reaction of things you got with the train than planes!

Amtrak appears to announce NTD events later and later every year. It also appears to be less effort put into it every year.

What is the date of National Train Day, for 2015 ??

Denver has a big newly remodeled train station, and they should get some equipment to display for the day, if it is happening.

It is known as Denver Union Station, which is also the 'hub' of the entire metro area RTD transit system, next door to the

train station.

The present day structure was completed in 1914. (source Wikipedia)

Here is an ancient link...

http://www.denverunionstation.org/

Wikipedia link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Denver,_Colorado)

Amtrak appears to announce NTD events later and later every year. It also appears to be less effort put into it every year.
Amtrak seems to reentering survival mode again. To be fair Amtrak is under continuing attack from a growing anti-rail faction in Congress. If the next president is anti-rail as well then things could get pretty dicey before they get better. Hopefully that's not the case but with the Citizens United ruling and the Koch brothers already pledging a billion dollars in paid "free speech" the prognosis doesn't look very rosy for any expenditure seen as too progressive. Maybe if Amtrak switched the NEC back to coal fired locomotives they might be able to garner some additional support from the right.

What is the date of National Train Day, for 2015 ??
May 9th
Assuming anything happens at all. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back