Where to store luggage in Yuma?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skim

Train Attendant
I'm planning to backpack in the Yuma area and wonder if there are lockers, either at the station or nearby, that could be used to store luggage for a few days? Any help is appreciated.

I am getting this station confused with Helper, Utah, both of which I have visited once while driving. They are both unstaffed stations, with restrooms ( I think ) and some kind of waiting area, but little in the way of any facilities. When you arrive, I might suggest you stay at a local motel and they will probably hold baggage for you. Come up here to Flagstaff to our staffed station, and they will take care of you. This is now winter, but I am wondering where in Yuma you intend to backpack. Good luck.

What's around Yuma besides desert? I agree with great cats,he lives in Flagstaff and is an experienced guide to area attractions!

You should consider visiting in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon area,Outstanding place to visit and explore!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greatcats and Jim, There are a ton of trails around Yuma, the mountain ones are particularly popular, the views are incredible. Of course, any oasis is great for wildlife and bird viewing, and the Yuma area has its share of those, too. If Skim times it right, the wildflowers will be in bloom and some people are saying this will be a good year because of the recent rains.

Skim, We usually did our desert hiking in fall and spring, not the middle of summer, although as a teenager I did my share of backpacking in Death Valley in July because that is when the place is (or used to be) empty ... but I knew the area really well back then. Be sure you talk to some locals when planning your trip.

If a motel won't work with you, talk to the ranger wherever you are planning to go, they may be able to hold your stuff. Visitor center or chamber of commerce people can also be accommodating. Maybe you can find a local on Craigs List even.

If you can get out there, Martha's Gardens has the best date shakes in the southwest, they are very generous with fresh (not dried) pieces.

Thanks Alice, I've only driven and taken the train through Yuma and thought there was no there there as Gertrude Stein famously said about Oakland!

I'm not a fan of the desert but do like Mountains!! In my old age "roughing it" means there's no hot water in the shower! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Alice - Thank you for your excellent info about the Yuma area, where I have just passed through by car and train. ( I did get a haircut once in Yuma! ) I believe my statements about the Yuma station are about on target - really no services there. I hope our friend has a good trip. Cheers!

I went to a gathering of geocachers in Yuma last February. I did not want to arrive in Yuma in the middle of the night. My ticket was to TUS where I got a taxi out to the rental car place. I drove back to Yuma and had enough time to drive to a parking lot on the US side and then walk into Los Algodones. I spent about 2 hours in Mexico and found 2 geocaches.

When I returned to Tucson, I paid for luggage storage while I took back the rental car. I actually got a city bus back from near the rental place to a bus stop not far from the Amtrak station.

There is also some paid baggage storage at Maricopa but the car rentals are not there.

While I was in southern AZ, I did drive around some in Organ Pipe Cactus NP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back