Winnipeg-Churchill train question (food service)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyke99

Service Attendant
Probably taking the Winnipeg-Churchill train this summer with my wife. We rode The Canadian last summer and the a crew member mentioned that he more often works the Winnipeg-Churchill train saying it lets you see another side of Canada - my wife was intrigued and wants to go. I rode the train during the dead of winter back in 1997 and am curious about changes since then, particularly with food service. I know that VIA cut always having a chef on the train in 2011.

According to viarail.ca, fresh prepared meals are available on-board during the "summer" and the fall polar bear seasons; otherwise food is catered to the train and reheated on-board. An e-mail to VIA revealed that their plan for "summer" in 2015 is basically the month of July and the menu looks like it compares to a standard Amtrak dining car menu.

My question: Has anyone here ridden the train since the 2011 cut? How are the reheated meals? How are fresh prepared meals during the limited times when a chef is on-board?

Thank you. I'd actually seen both the tripadvisor.com reviews and the stuff on the VIA website. I was hoping someone would have first-hand experience, but it looks like no luck.

Back