Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Checking in bags on Greyhound w/ print at home ticket

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

I THINK that means that you can't just arrive at the bus clutching your print at home ticket, and expect to stow your unweighed/unexamined baggage in the coach luggage bay.

The print at home ticket is good for your travel, (with small carry on), no further need to check in, but if you have luggage, that needs it's own lable which Greyhound prints after weighing.

Don't worry, just try and enjoy the trip!

Ed :cool:

Edited by caravanman, 18 December 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#22 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, business, politics, and military history.

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

Greyhound's print at home tickets are a hot mess. You can't reprint them at the station, they don't save any time if you need to "check" luggage and the design is pretty ugly. But from experience, they work. You just hand it over and step aboard.

Checking in at the counter is mostly about registering your bag with Greyhound so they can make sure your bag gets pulled off when you get off the bus. It's a flawed system, but that's a discussion for another time.

While Greyhound gives you time to eat in Sacramento, you're stuck getting good at the stations cafe, since there's no place to eat in that neighborhood. Think of it like being stuck on an Amtrak train, you don't get a lot of options on where to eat.

I agree. That's why I don't use Print at Home anymore.

This thread interests me. So there is no real advantage of getting a print at home ticket if you need to check luggage? I will have to double check the rules about carry on luggage because i doubt my bag will be small enough to be considered a carry on.

In which case, what are the queues normally like for going to the desk to weigh and tag? I really hate hearing things like "you need to arrive at the station 1 hour before departure" because it sounds way too stressful for me. but from the sounds of it it's going to sound like good advice...

That's why I say not to use Print at Home, just no, no, no! And don't get to the station 1 hour before departure, it's almost always useless. 30 minutes is fine, even if you have checked baggage.

The queues really depend on how big the station is. Reno usually has no more than 5 people in line. Denver often has 20 or 30. Denver is undermanned and requires getting there 1 hour prior. That's the most undermanned station in the West that I've been to. I bet New York and Los Angeles can't be too good on that, but Chicago is the opposite, it doesn't have enough runs to even fill up half the station after Greyhound dropped most of the Chicago routes.

I rode Greyhound from Reno to Sacramento a few months back. I bought and printed my ticket at home. My feeling was that with an "early boarding number" I might have some claim to priority if the bus was oversold.
Very modern bus, no problems for me, 6' 2", with the seats on this shortish route.
You do need to attend the ticket desk if you have bags to check. They weigh the bags and attach their baggage lables, then you go to the door and wait for boarding to begin. Many folk leave their luggage in the line to mark their place, and sit nearby... can be a bit boring just standing for ages.
It all worked well for me with one exception...I had to pay $15 for my second checked bag, the Greyhound site does not highlight this as part of your ticket booking procedure, although it is mentioned somewhere on the site.

Waiting for the Greyhound is very boring indeed. That's why I only get there 30 minutes before departure and spend any extra time looking at the buses. If you did not get hip pain on your ride, I'm sure it wasn't a D4505. I really like to complain about the D4505.

Greyhound's print at home tickets are a hot mess. You can't reprint them at the station, they don't save any time if you need to "check" luggage and the design is pretty ugly. But from experience, they work. You just hand it over and step aboard.

Checking in at the counter is mostly about registering your bag with Greyhound so they can make sure your bag gets pulled off when you get off the bus. It's a flawed system, but that's a discussion for another time.

While Greyhound gives you time to eat in Sacramento, you're stuck getting good at the stations cafe, since there's no place to eat in that neighborhood. Think of it like being stuck on an Amtrak train, you don't get a lot of options on where to eat.

I know the McDonald's there, but it seems a good long walk.  I've been there a few times after going to the California Railroad Museum with my kid.  I'll probably just make sure we have some snacks, and then have dinner when we get back to the Bay Area.

I really got confused because I found the service manual section that seems to state that "electronic tickets" aren't eligible for checked baggage.  It makes no sense and I'm not sure why it's there since nobody seems to have encountered being denied.

I basically "printed" to a PDF document, so I could save it just in case.  I then emailed it to myself and have it available.  I know it's supposed to be available for reprint, but I'd rather do it this way where it should be within my control.

I don't think you'll have to eat much. 8311 departs past lunchtime and arrives just before dinnertime. That is, of course, if you don't waste 30 minutes in the terminal getting there 1 hour before departure.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#23 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

And don't get to the station 1 hour before departure, it's almost always useless. 30 minutes is fine, even if you have checked baggage.

Yeah, I was traveling with the peak of the student crowd, but I learned that lesson by the skin of my teeth a few days ago. I've been on these busy doubled-up trips before and showed up 1hr in advance, turned out I didn't need to show up more than 30min in advance, so I decided to do just that...bad idea. There was a 12-15 person (slow) line to check bags (with confused people trying to change tickets), then I made it to the boarding line in the nick of time, as the passenger behind me was turned away and told to wait for the next run.

Now I will always show up 1hr in advance...my friends would tell me to take Megabus since they allow all passengers on, but I've ridden them once and won't do it again unless I have to - seats don't recline, no overhead luggage racks, luggage stacked one upon the other, and if one wanted to check a second bag, it's another ticket/seat.

Schedule 3277.

Edited by Train2104, 18 December 2014 - 09:16 PM.

#24 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

That's why I said it's almost always useless. There's not much students on Greyhound out here and even Thanksgiving this year was quiet at the Greyhound terminal. So quiet that on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, 30 minutes would be more than enough.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#25 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:43 PM

I rode Greyhound from Reno to Sacramento a few months back. I bought and printed my ticket at home. My feeling was that with an "early boarding number" I might have some claim to priority if the bus was oversold.

Very modern bus, no problems for me, 6' 2", with the seats on this shortish route.

You do need to attend the ticket desk if you have bags to check. They weigh the bags and attach their baggage lables, then you go to the door and wait for boarding to begin. Many folk leave their luggage in the line to mark their place, and sit nearby... can be a bit boring just standing for ages.

It all worked well for me with one exception...I had to pay $15 for my second checked bag, the Greyhound site does not highlight this as part of your ticket booking procedure, although it is mentioned somewhere on the site.

It's in their baggage information, but they don't make it clear that a child fare isn't eligible at all for a second checked piece.

https://www.greyhoun...nformation.aspx

The service manual make it pretty clear with a table that shows a 2 pieces limit for an adult fare and a 1 piece limit for a child fare.  However, we're going to have one piece among us, so that shouldn't be an issue.

http://extranet.grey...sm/baggage.html

#26 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

Well I just rode #86536 on 8309. It is a D4505. A bit dusty, I'm afraid to say. Sold out run. No boarding numbers used even though it's an Express.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#27 The Journalist

The Journalist

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Rocks, bacon, mass transit

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

The last time I used Greyhound I used Print at Home to get my tickets and had no issues getting bags "checked" and stored in the underside of the bus. I think what they're trying to say (but not saying very well) is with a print at home ticket, you still need to visit the luggage desk if you have under-bus "checked" baggage...which seems fairly obvious, really, but maybe it isn't. Before boarding, they had us line up in the station according to boarding numbers, basically the way Southwest Airlines boards.

The faux-leather seats with seatbelts that seem to have a poor reputation here I found to be fine. Definitely better than the seats on the Ambus I had rode a few days before. 

Tell me, have you seen the marvelous breadfish?

#28 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

Some of those new seats are OK but most of them are bad. They're OK when they're new. I rode #86536 last week and the seats were fine, but then I rode #86352 back and it was horrible. All the seats were dipping and the covers were damaged. The armrests had heavy damage, too.

I actually saw #60696 running 8307, the morning local, and it's a really weird bus that came from a Mexican company called Americanos that merged with Greyhound.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#29 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

After all this consternation, we're not going to go.  It was supposed to be this weekend, but our entire family is ill to varying degrees and by the scheduled time won't be able to make it without a lot of physical discomfort.  I can get the Amtrak fare back as an eVoucher (always useful) and the hotel room in Reno was "free" save a $2 deposit.  I guess I'll have to eat the $39 on a Greyhound web fare, but that's not a big deal.  I don't even think it's worth trying to exchange for a later date since that would need to be done in person.

#30 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

That happened to me last year. Really sucked. I hope you get better soon!

I wouldn't be eager to ride that Greyhound either. If I love/hate Greyhound, that would be the half that I hate.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#31 oiky

oiky

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

related.

are there any official dimensions as to what you're allowed to take on as carry on luggage?

#32 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

related.

are there any official dimensions as to what you're allowed to take on as carry on luggage?

Officially a max 62 linear inches (H+L+W) although I'd think they won't be too picky. You can go oversize (but apparently not weight) for a $20-30 fee.

http://extranet.grey...sm/baggage.html

#33 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:06 PM

There's just this: https://www.greyhoun...nformation.aspx.

Overweight carried the same costs as oversize, but they generally won't care if the bag is less than 60 lbs unless the bus is packed with freight and isn't a G4500.

Actual luggage capacity depends on the bus model. On any Prevost, the bin height is 9", on MCI D-units, the bin height is 10", on MCI G4500, there should be more but I'm not sure. G4500s have ridiculous luggage capacity and haul lots of freight on routes heavy with Package Express.

Anyways, whatever you do, take evasive action against Greyhound's new torture machines and avoid riding routes that pretty much only use them. You'll be glad you did!

Avoid Los Angeles-San Francisco, -Sacramento, -Las Vegas, -Dallas, -El Paso, -Denver. Avoid Denver-Las Vegas/Reno/Portland. Avoid San Francisco-Sacramento-Reno. Avoid routes in the Northeast; ride Peter Pan or Trailways instead. Avoid Florida and Georgia intrastate routes.

You can get around a lot of the torture machines by taking through schedules. Long through schedules from far-away places usually have more freight, which means Blue G4500s, which means torture-machine evasion, more legroom, and more luggage capacity. New York-Los Angeles, longest route in the system, is a Blue G4500 every day.

I really do love and hate Greyhound at the same time, don't I? ^_^

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#34 oiky

oiky

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

hmm ok.

from anyones experience, do yout hink they would allow something like this on board as carry-on baggage?

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00JMF8PRO

If i have to check it, then i will, I think i would feel easier not to though!

#35 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

hmm ok.

from anyones experience, do yout hink they would allow something like this on board as carry-on baggage?

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00JMF8PRO

If i have to check it, then i will, I think i would feel easier not to though!

No actual experience, but from the way others tell it, probably not. Should be no problem checking it in though.

From my experience finding coach buses, the overheads might be suitable for laptop bags or briefcases. On Amtrak buses, a multi-day backpack would typically go into the baggage hold.

#36 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

I found the dimensions online in centimeters and converted to inches: http://www.karrimor....rucksack-793014.

That one's tricky. It's like right on the line between the different bus models.

It'll fit in the G4500 overheads, which are huge: https://www.flickr.c...9260553/sizes/l.

Any Prevost, you'll have to check it for sure, since they have tiny bins and the new low-mounted seats. If you get a D-unit, it might just fit in the overheads with some squeezing. The old comfortable DL3s have more legroom and more space to put it underneath, but will impede legroom. The new torture-machine D4505s have the new low seats and worse legroom; you'll have serious trouble with that rucksack on a D4505, so it would be best to check it.

Almost every G4500 ever built went to Greyhound so you pretty much won't find them with anyone else and I don't know of any other vehicle with as much luggage space. Be prepared to check it, but check the bus before checking the bag, because you will have no trouble if it's a G4500, which are these: https://www.flickr.c...29130@N24/pool/.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#37 oiky

oiky

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

I measured mine myself and you can save yourself about 3 inches in length over what the advertised dimensions are, so that might be in my favour.

I guess i will get an inconsistent experience across my whole journey seeing as i'll be doing so many different routes also, the carrier won't always be greyhound either.

hopefully the staff at the bus station will be helpful enough to advise me anyway, luckily the first time i experience US intercity bus travel I will be staying literally opposite the greyhound station i savannah which will take some of the stress away from it, being there guaranteed early enough for me to get used to how it works over there etc.

although saying that for that particular journey i gather i'll be travelling with SES (southeastern stages?) as that was the carrier code listed on the greyhound site so i wont be experiencing true greyhound just yet!

#38 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

Reducing the length is, unfortunately, virtually useless. You still won't be able to fit it into anything but a Model G without squeezing and even with squeezing, won't be able to fit it in some of the models.

Southeastern Stages is.....not Greyhound. Don't know how they are, no idea at all, but they are definitely not Greyhound. Different equipment, seats, drivers, "way of doing things", etc.

Staff at bus station? Don't count on it. One time the guy was friendly enough to say my duffel bag would fit in the overhead. Well, it was a D4505, and it didn't fit in the overhead.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#39 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Mind posting the map again? I'd like to see where you're going to find out the equipment. Got more info now that before.

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 10 January 2015 - 08:42 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
A MILLION MILES A DAY
DETROIT DIESEL 6067BK28

#40 oiky

oiky

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

http://i.imgur.com/z8d69A3.jpg

there you go. it's changed since last time anyway. blue = plane, green = train and red = bus, although in some places where it says bus we may get the train if the price difference isn't too excessive (pacific northwest for example)

it's good that greyhound allow you to purchase tickets for other carriers on their site making it easier to book bus travel in general but it is weird that they don't make much of an effort to tell people exactly who they are travelling with, the only way for me to know i'm not actually travelling greyhound in that south east area was to expand the schdule when booking and seeing the carrier as 'SES'. that means nothing to an absolute beginner with their services! i've been sure to check all the routes anyway, i know quite a few will be with JL rather than greyhound also

Edited by oiky, 11 January 2015 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users