Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Amtrak : Best Kept Secrets

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 ScottC4746

ScottC4746

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here is a tip. If you are traveling out of Los Angeles Union Station, before they announce the boarding of your train, you can board before everyone else. Here is how to do it:
I traveled on SS LTD and will travel on SWC. I walk through the tunnel and look like a lost deer in headlights looking at the banner boards at each portal. Eventually, an Amtrak Employee will spot you and ask if you need assistance. On the SS LTD I said I am a sleeper passanger and was looking to see where my train is leaving from so I know where to go. They were just about ready to announce the boarding so he escourted me to my car and I got to board before anyone else.

Routes I've been on end to end:
California Zepher 5 Chicago-Emeryville Roomette 3 (6/6/2013) 

Great Southeastern Railway (UK) (6/12/2015) London Victoria-Dover Priory Round Trip
Great Western Railway (UK)(July 1995) London Waterloo-Penzance Round Trip

KiwiRail Scenic Journeys Northern Explorer 9/21/17 Auckland to Wellington 
Pacific Surfliner 564 Los Angeles-San Diego Round Trip Business (1/3/2009); 587 Business (1/3/2009)
Southern (UK) (9/7/2012)London Victoria-Brighton Round Trip
Southwest Chief 3 Chicago-Los Angeles Roomette 20 (5/28/2011) 4 Los Angeles-Chicago Roomette 6 (6/3/2013)
Sunset Limited 1 New Orleans-Los Angeles Roomette 6 (6/5/2009) 2 Los Angeles-New Orleans Bedroom F (01/29/2010)

Point Balance 10828
Current Year Rail Balance 2490

#122 snljamie0518

snljamie0518

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

I want to jump on this bandwagon.

What should I bring with me on the train?

What should I put in my checked baggage?

What should I not do on the train?

#123 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

What you might/should bring with you on the train depends if you will be in a sleeper berth or in coach.

Amtrak allows 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 personal bags.

Many Amtrak riders don't check baggage and most Amtrak stations don't have checked baggage service.

You would need to depart from, and de-train at, a station that has checked baggage service.

Note that checked baggage is not accessible while you are on the train.

My last long distance train trip entailed 6 days on the train, round trip, with an 8 day stay visiting my sister in Oregon in between the train rides.

One carry-on and 2 personal bags was plenty.

Don't cause a disturbance and smoking (cigarettes or other substances) on the train is not allowed. Amtrak can and does put chemically impaired passengers and otherwise unruly passengers off the train.

Chemically impaired (alcohol,drugs) passengers are usually met at the kicked-off-the-train point by law enforcement officers.

Google - kicked off Amtrak train - and YouTube has several videos of passengers being kicked off the train and being met by LEO's at grade crossings instead of at Amtrak stations.

Edited by KmH, 09 May 2016 - 11:36 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#124 snljamie0518

snljamie0518

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

What you might/should bring with you on the train depends if you will be in a sleeper berth or in coach.

Amtrak allows 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 personal bags.

Many Amtrak riders don't check baggage and most Amtrak stations don't have checked baggage service.

You would need to depart from, and de-train at, a station that has checked baggage service.

Note that checked baggage is not accessible while you are on the train.

My last long distance train trip entailed 6 days on the train, round trip, with an 8 day stay visiting my sister in Oregon in between the train rides.

One carry-on and 2 personal bags was plenty.

Don't cause a disturbance and smoking (cigarettes or other substances) on the train is not allowed. Amtrak can and does put chemically impaired passengers and otherwise unruly passengers off the train.

Chemically impaired (alcohol,drugs) passengers are usually met at the kicked-off-the-train point by law enforcement officers.

Google - kicked off Amtrak train - and YouTube has several videos of passengers being kicked off the train and being met by LEO's at grade crossings instead of at Amtrak stations.

No problem there as I dont drink, smoke or do drugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users