Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Amtrak : Best Kept Secrets

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#121 ScottC4746

ScottC4746

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here is a tip. If you are traveling out of Los Angeles Union Station, before they announce the boarding of your train, you can board before everyone else. Here is how to do it:
I traveled on SS LTD and will travel on SWC. I walk through the tunnel and look like a lost deer in headlights looking at the banner boards at each portal. Eventually, an Amtrak Employee will spot you and ask if you need assistance. On the SS LTD I said I am a sleeper passanger and was looking to see where my train is leaving from so I know where to go. They were just about ready to announce the boarding so he escourted me to my car and I got to board before anyone else.

#122 snljamie0518

snljamie0518

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

I want to jump on this bandwagon.

What should I bring with me on the train?

What should I put in my checked baggage?

What should I not do on the train?

#123 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

What you might/should bring with you on the train depends if you will be in a sleeper berth or in coach.

Amtrak allows 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 personal bags.

Many Amtrak riders don't check baggage and most Amtrak stations don't have checked baggage service.

You would need to depart from, and de-train at, a station that has checked baggage service.

Note that checked baggage is not accessible while you are on the train.

My last long distance train trip entailed 6 days on the train, round trip, with an 8 day stay visiting my sister in Oregon in between the train rides.

One carry-on and 2 personal bags was plenty.

Don't cause a disturbance and smoking (cigarettes or other substances) on the train is not allowed. Amtrak can and does put chemically impaired passengers and otherwise unruly passengers off the train.

Chemically impaired (alcohol,drugs) passengers are usually met at the kicked-off-the-train point by law enforcement officers.

Google - kicked off Amtrak train - and YouTube has several videos of passengers being kicked off the train and being met by LEO's at grade crossings instead of at Amtrak stations.

Edited by KmH, 09 May 2016 - 11:36 AM.

• dogbert617 likes this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#124 snljamie0518

snljamie0518

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

What you might/should bring with you on the train depends if you will be in a sleeper berth or in coach.

Amtrak allows 2 carry-on bags, plus 2 personal bags.

Many Amtrak riders don't check baggage and most Amtrak stations don't have checked baggage service.

You would need to depart from, and de-train at, a station that has checked baggage service.

Note that checked baggage is not accessible while you are on the train.

My last long distance train trip entailed 6 days on the train, round trip, with an 8 day stay visiting my sister in Oregon in between the train rides.

One carry-on and 2 personal bags was plenty.

Don't cause a disturbance and smoking (cigarettes or other substances) on the train is not allowed. Amtrak can and does put chemically impaired passengers and otherwise unruly passengers off the train.

Chemically impaired (alcohol,drugs) passengers are usually met at the kicked-off-the-train point by law enforcement officers.

Google - kicked off Amtrak train - and YouTube has several videos of passengers being kicked off the train and being met by LEO's at grade crossings instead of at Amtrak stations.

No problem there as I dont drink, smoke or do drugs.

#125 B&Ofan

B&Ofan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

Here is my current tip. When traveling between Boston and Chicago, it turns out to be cheaper to change from the Boston sleeper to the NY Sleeper in Albany. My upcoming trip I am doing it both ways and my last trip from Toledo to Boston this was also true. What I like about being in the NY sleeper is that you approach the Dinner car from the sleeper side and do not need to show proof that you have sleeper accommodations (and you don't need to walk through 6 coaches to get to the diner!)

Maybe only marginally useful but it is what I got.

Cheers.

#126 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Here's the answer to having to walk through 6 coaches to the diner:  establish trains 38 and 39 as separate trains between Boston and Chicago. :)

#127 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

Here's the answer to having to walk through 6 coaches to the diner:  establish trains 38 and 39 as separate trains between Boston and Chicago. :)

Wait, I'm confused. Do you mean 48/49 or 448/449? And does it mean for the eastbound and the westbound to be established as separate trains? How could that possibly not be the case? Sorry if this is really obvious.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#128 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:54 PM

If the CHI-BOS train were completely separate from the CHI-NYP train, the 448/449 numbers wouldn't make any sense. 38/39 would be logical numbers for the new train.
  • Palmetto likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#129 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 22 August 2018 - 02:23 AM

If the CHI-BOS train were completely separate from the CHI-NYP train, the 448/449 numbers wouldn't make any sense. 38/39 would be logical numbers for the new train.

Oh, thanks. I thought that was just a typo. So he was suggesting that the LSL becomes an NYP-CHI train and a separate BOS-CHI train? I don't see why that would at all be necessary. The Boston section of the LSL currently only needs two coaches, a business/cafe, and one sleeper for passenger use. I just don't think the demand is at all there to warrant a separate train.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#130 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

A separate train between Boston and Chicago, running on a different schedule about 8 hours away from 48/49, could give places on the route that currently don't have good calling times than what 48/49 and 29/30 provide.  Read Western New York and Ohio. The scheduling gurus on here could work something out, I'm sure.  I'm not considering other logistics such as equipment availability, obviously.  At one point in the Warrington regime, this was actually being talked about, if I'm not mistaken.

• cpotisch likes this

#131 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Correct, unless Amtrak continued its current scenario, which would give Boston 2 trains a day to and from Western points, running about 8 hours apart.

Edited by Palmetto, 22 August 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#132 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

Amtrak will just keep the current scenario minus any additional train

#133 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

From experience . . . avoid at all costs the seats in the middle of a Superliner coach.  You will not get much sleep as passengers clop up and down the stairs and bang and lock and unlock the bathroom doors all night long.  It is very very noisy there. 

#134 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

A separate train between Boston and Chicago, running on a different schedule about 8 hours away from 48/49, could give places on the route that currently don't have good calling times than what 48/49 and 29/30 provide.  Read Western New York and Ohio. The scheduling gurus on here could work something out, I'm sure.  I'm not considering other logistics such as equipment availability, obviously.  At one point in the Warrington regime, this was actually being talked about, if I'm not mistaken.

Not relevant to this topic, but I would like to see two separate trains and have one go through Canada via Detroit.  Not only would that create a better-served important city-pair (NYP-DET), but it would be much faster (lots of higher speed trackage) and avoid all of the freight congestion south of Lake Erie.

#135 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

I've made a couple of variations of this:

Attached File  TWO A DAY.pdf   69.61KB   44 downloads

I actually think both trains should run to New York City, due to the immense ridership demand from there; only one should run to Boston.  If scheduled right, you can set up one of the trains to run overnight from NYC to Syracuse, which would be highly attractive for day trips to NYC.

Edited by neroden, 15 September 2018 - 10:18 AM.

• Palmetto likes this
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users