Meteor and Star Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuppb001

Train Attendant
I apologize if this has been brought up before but I just came from a trip on 97 and returned home on 92. In speaking with the dining crew I noticed that the menus in the diner despite having identical choices are labeled for either the Star or the Meteor and were being used interchangebly. They smiled and told me that I discovered their "secret." Both trains are sharing trainsets like the trainset for 98 is being turned for 91 the next day as an example. As a result I noticed that 92 had 3 sleepers and 5 coaches which is the fairly standard Metor consist. Previously the Star only had 2 sleepers and 4 coaches. When did this start becomming common practice of sharing the same consist? Also on a side note on Thurday I took 97 south to Orlando. Monday took 91 to Tampa and returned on 92 the same day. All 3 trains had non termoinsa rebuilt diners. Usually I atleast snag one.

To add to my original post regardless of irrelevance I was able to upgrade about 8 hours before my departure to a roomette. Got one via the Amtrak app for only $130 from Savannah to Orlando. Anyone that has priced Silver sleepers knows that in that region that fare is almost unheard of. Average rate is in the $200+ range.

If they're starting to interchange the Star and Meteor consists, that's an interesting policy change. It would indicate that demand on the Star has risen (which I believe was borne out in the numbers in the last couple of years). It may also be in preparation for schedule tweaks.

I apologize if this has been brought up before but I just came from a trip on 97 and returned home on 92. In speaking with the dining crew I noticed that the menus in the diner despite having identical choices are labeled for either the Star or the Meteor and were being used interchangebly. They smiled and told me that I discovered their "secret." Both trains are sharing trainsets like the trainset for 98 is being turned for 91 the next day as an example. As a result I noticed that 92 had 3 sleepers and 5 coaches which is the fairly standard Metor consist. Previously the Star only had 2 sleepers and 4 coaches. When did this start becomming common practice of sharing the same consist? Also on a side note on Thurday I took 97 south to Orlando. Monday took 91 to Tampa and returned on 92 the same day. All 3 trains had non termoinsa rebuilt diners. Usually I atleast snag one.
The times in recent weeks that I have observed the Star and Meteor on the NEC, they each had the number of sleeper cars I expected to see. For Amtrak to use the consists interchangeably with 3 sleepers each, they would have to drop a consist from the mix. With the current schedules, the Meteor takes 4 consists, the Star 4 consists, or 4 x 3 sleepers plus 4 x 2 sleepers for a total of 20 Viewliner sleepers. If they can cut down to a total of 7 interchangeable consists, then it would take 21 sleepers for 3 each per consist.
The problem is that SM #98 is scheduled arrives at NYP at 11:06 AM, while SS #81 departs NYP at 11:02 AM. SM #97 departs NYP at 3:15 PM, so there is a 4 hour window for turnaround, but that is too short for schedule recovery and cleaning & restocking. On the Miami end, both trains arrive at Miami after 6 PM and depart northbound the next day in the morning. Since Hialeah is the major service facility, they use the overnight layover for servicing. So I don't see how they would be using the train sets interchangeably on a normal basis.

In 2004, SM #97 was scheduled to arrive at NYP at 10:12; SM #98 departed NYP at 7:01 PM and WAS at 10:59 PM. Enough time for a same day turnaround, if #97 was not seriously delayed. If Amtrak were to switch back to something close to the 2004 schedule, then they could support the Meteor with 3 consists. Although a southbound WAS departure of 11 PM may hurt business a little at Amtrak's second busiest station. Then when the new Viewliner sleepers are available, would take 28 sleepers to have 4 each on the Star and Meteor which makes for a more efficient use of equipment.

The benefits to making the Star and Meteor consists interchangeable would be more flexibility to recover if a Meteor or Star were seriously delayed in a grade crossing accident or stuck behind a broken down CSX train. If one or the other was extremely late at NYP or MIA, then turnaround the other trainset for the next Meteor or Star departure giving a few more hours to get the late one turned around.

Maybe there will be a major schedule shift for the Meteor in the next timetable so they can drop a consist. The Silver service timekeeping has been more reliable lately which is critical for same day turnarounds.

There was a period when they interchanged consists between the Star and the Meteor in Miami and New York, and indeed it caused Star to run with 3 Sleepers northbound as I recall.

But even then the total number of consists used by the two trains together was 8. No same day turn of anything at either end. And most certainly they do not turn on the same day now. However, this also not the first time that a crew member of Amtrak has given misleading or outright incorrect information to uninformed passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There was a period when they interchanged consists between the Star and the Meteor in Miami and New York, and indeed it caused Star to run with 3 Sleepers northbound as I recall.

But even then the total number of consists used by the two trains together was 8. No same day turn of anything at either end. And most certainly they do not turn on the same day now. However, this also not the first time that a crew member of Amtrak has given misleading or outright incorrect information to uninformed passengers.

91/92 and 97/98 are running similiar consists during the TGV program. Each set has 3 sleepers and 5 coaches and can be used to in place of each other. Additionally, the Cardinal is running with an extra coach and sleeper.

But there really is no reason to swap consists even though it may be possible.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree. However, consider this:

91 has a shopped car inline. If 97 has the same consist and the train is clean, you may now move the entire set up to represent the train and push 91 back to represent 97. You just bought yourself close to four hours without drilling a car or even dropping a derail.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I was not talking of exceptional situations. All sorts of shuffle are perfectly reasonable in exceptional situations. In exceptional situations they'd do a shuffle if needed even if the trains did not otherwise use the same consist layout. But if nothing exceptional has happened there is no reason to shuffle. That is all I was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back