Amtrak Delivers Strong FY14 Financial Results (news release)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afigg

Engineer
Amtrak has issued a news release touting the FY2014 financial results which, despite weak ridership for many corridor services and bad year for delays for the LD trains, had the lowest net operating loss in 41 years at $227 million. We saw the basic numbers in the September, 2014 monthly report, but the news release provides the (unaudited) FY14 vs FY13 profit and lost results and the balance sheet. And, yes, the FY2013 financial report is still missing.

Amtrak Delivers Strong FY 2014 Financial Results.

Excerpt of the first few paragraphs:

Five consecutive years of revenue growth, higher operating cost recovery; More investment needed to meet future passenger demand.

Fiscal Year 2014 Highlights:

• Record revenue of approximately $3.2 billion
  • Operating cost recovery rises to 93 percent
  • Lowest federally funded operating loss in 41 years
  • Moody’s confirms long-term debt rating at A1/Stable
WASHINGTON – Today, Amtrak reported unaudited record revenue totaling approximately $3.2 billion for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2014, representing the fifth consecutive year of revenue growth, and the eighth out of the past nine years.

In FY 2014, America’s Railroad® covered 93 percent of its operating costs with ticket sales and other revenues, up from 89 percent the year before. In addition, Amtrak’s unaudited federally funded operating loss of approximately $227 million was the lowest level since 1973, representing a 37 percent decrease from the prior year and 52 percent lower than in FY 2007.

As a result of the company’s strong operating performance, long-term debt reductions of approximately 61 percent over the past seven years to $1.3 billion, and other contributing factors, Moody’s Investor Service confirmed Amtrak’s A1/Stable debt rating on Nov. 12, 2014.

“Our financial performance over the past year is the clearest indication yet that Amtrak’s investments, operating efficiencies and focus on its customers is paying off,” said Amtrak Chairman of the Board Tony Coscia. “Under the leadership of Amtrak’s Board and management, the company is transforming how it does business. We are delighted with our latest financial results and committed to making further progress in the years ahead. As we continue to make improvements in our operating and financial performance, we call upon the federal government and our stakeholders to support the capital investments necessary to keep moving Amtrak forward.”
BTW, the FY14 ridership totals for each station are now listed on the Great American Stations website. NYP passed a threshold with 10,024,474 passengers in FY14. However, WAS, PHL, CHI all saw slight declines in passenger totals.

Someone elsewhere was wondering where the passengers to NYP were coming from, given declines on most NEC stations. Well, one source: passengers from points between NYP and Albany are up significantly. (Sadly, there are declines west of Albany, probably due to the various delays.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The results that everyone is focusing on are on NEC-South. NEC-North is another story entirely. Ridership to/from the three Boston stations was up by 93,396 year over year (an increase of about 3.89%). PVD also saw an increase of 5403, so on the far north there was an increase of 100k riders.

The situation in Washington likely got smacked around with the addition of weekend MARC service (that's probably at least 50k riders, if I recall the estimates right). The LD ridership situation probably didn't do it any favors, either. (WAS is a major transfer point, after all).

Down in VA, growth seems to have continued:
NPN took a heck of a hit, down 15,656 riders (-12.2%). Some of this is likely traffic shifting to NFK, but I am inclined to blame a significant share of this on station crowding issues, with OTP not helping out either.
WBG was off slightly, down 952 riders (-1.53%), continuing a sideways trend that has persisted for quite a while.
RVM added another 2,322 riders (+6.03%). I want to say that RVM has seen ridership growth every year since opening.
RVR lost 13,977 riders (-3.75%). Here I'm blaming the mix of OTP issues (which hit the LD trains) and station crowding (the inability to reliably get a parking space was a chronic issue last year, and I'd be shocked if the station didn't lose riders over that).
FBG had yet another year of steady growth, up 5,965 riders (+5.33%).
ALX saw minimal ridership growth, adding only 346 riders (+0.02%). Growth at CVS was 1,283 riders (right about 1%), while LYH ridership took a hit, down 7,035 (-8.15%).

Basically, ridership /mostly/ held up on the Regionals, but LD service seems to have been hit by the LD train issues (notice that, NPN aside, the weaker performance were at stations with LD service).

Also, RVR has the most revenue of any station in the South (exceeding even NOL, which as far as I can tell is the only station that comes close).

The results that everyone is focusing on are on NEC-South. NEC-North is another story entirely. Ridership to/from the three Boston stations was up by 93,396 year over year (an increase of about 3.89%). PVD also saw an increase of 5403, so on the far north there was an increase of 100k riders.

The situation in Washington likely got smacked around with the addition of weekend MARC service (that's probably at least 50k riders, if I recall the estimates right). The LD ridership situation probably didn't do it any favors, either. (WAS is a major transfer point, after all).
Looking at the passenger numbers for Lancaster PA and Harrisburg, both stations had noticeable declines from FY13. I can only attribute this to the adjustment in counting the actual number of passengers from estimates from monthly passes. They must have added the home and destination station of the monthly passes to the station passenger totals. Since the Keystone, Empire service, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor were the services most affected by the change, that is going to throw off FY13 vs FY14 comparisons for stations on their routes.

The start of MARC Penn Line service on weekends is clearly a factor in the small dropoff in passengers at WAS.

Looking ahead at FY15, I expect it will mostly be a running in place year for system total ridership numbers, with a small net increase. Lower gas prices are going to cut into ridership on some state corridors. Another year of track work and freight delays are going to continue to hurt both many corridor services and most LD trains. The LD trains should rebound to some extent if the LSL and CL get back to "normal" OTP, but the EB and CZ delays are likely to continue. The bigger changes may be in operational and financing structure with the split into 3 product lined and NEC operating surplus from the Acela & NE Regionals starting to get put back into NEC capital spending.

The fact sheet for VA is interesting - love the map. So the Buckingham Branch only goes from Clifton Forge to Culpeper. That is NOT where the bulk of delays to the Cardinal occur despite all the sneers to the BBRR.

However, the boardings and alightings (haha) figure for Charlottesville (132K+) is a little hard to swallow for one who is frequently there to meet the trains. That is 360 people per day, every day, getting on or off the Lynchburger, the Crescent and 3X/week the Cardinal. It doesn't sync with my observations. I would say closer to an average of 75 for the NER (total of 150), 25-30 for the Crescent (total of, say, 60); so that's 210 per day. Then the Cardinal generally boards and unloads 50+ each (total 100) - but it's only 3 times a week. So that's about 300 on the days the Cardinal runs and maybe 200 the other four days a week.

I dunno ---- that's just what I see - and I do often try to count!

The fact sheet for VA is interesting - love the map. So the Buckingham Branch only goes from Clifton Forge to Culpeper. That is NOT where the bulk of delays to the Cardinal occur despite all the sneers to the BBRR.

However, the boardings and alightings (haha) figure for Charlottesville (132K+) is a little hard to swallow for one who is frequently there to meet the trains. That is 360 people per day, every day, getting on or off the Lynchburger, the Crescent and 3X/week the Cardinal. It doesn't sync with my observations. I would say closer to an average of 75 for the NER (total of 150), 25-30 for the Crescent (total of, say, 60); so that's 210 per day. Then the Cardinal generally boards and unloads 50+ each (total 100) - but it's only 3 times a week. So that's about 300 on the days the Cardinal runs and maybe 200 the other four days a week.

I dunno ---- that's just what I see - and I do often try to count!
The time-keeping of the eastbound Cardinal has improved on the Buckingham Branch RR over the past year or so. It used to be routine that a late #50 would get on the BBRR out of its and get even later by the time it got to CVS and Culpepper. The track maintenance funding provided by VA and what appears to be better dispatching of #50 and #51 has reduced the delays on the BBRR portion of the route. The Cardinal has been encountering long delays in the past several months, mostly on the IN to OH CSX segment from what I have noticed.

As for Charlottesville's total passenger count and approximate daily average, Amtrak's number have to survive audits, so I doubt that they are that incorrect. With the presence of UVA, there could be big increases in trips on start and end of school breaks, holidays, weekends that you have not observed on the days you tried to count from visual observation.

Ohio has 11.57 million, has three more employees but $700k less in wages than Montana's 1.01 million people.

Makes Frank Zappa look good, Movin' to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back