Texas Eagle #22 (11/25) Crash in Bartlett, Tx

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Per a brief post on today's train orders ( I'm not a member/ can't open link) today's (11/25)#22 was involved in a Train/Vehicle Crash in the small Central Texas Town of Bartlett, Tx.

The headline mentions a " Fiery" Crash and train status map shows # 22 in a Service Disruption Mode!

There is some discussion about the single engine and headend power, possible bustitutions and a rescue freight engine to drag the consist to FTW.

Any info on this, supposedly the Train is Full with a Holiday Crowd aboard???

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report, sounds like there are no injuries aboard the train and at least the Temple Station is a decent place to wait! Hopefully the P-42 ( and engineer) is OK and the passengers can continue their journeys north! RIP to the truck " driver"!

Another example of why this train (and ALL LD Trains) need @ least 2 engines!!!

Non-members can open links on Train Orders...you just can't see images large and go to subsequent pages. You just have to click through (Continue button) the "You are leaving Trainorders.com" page.

Perhaps we should tone down the subject line. This appears to be close to a run of the mill fatal grade crossing collision with the Chevrolet Silverado truck catching on fire. The Texas Eagle did not derail, crash or catch or fire. We do not know much damage there was to the locomotive, but the KWTX headline is more than a bit sensationalistic.

I laughed when I read the KVUE copy regarding the train will be kept on the tracks. Maybe the Fire Department was thinking about picking it up and moving it aside for a while...... :huh: :eek: :p

I laughed when I read the KVUE copy regarding the train will be kept on the tracks. Maybe the Fire Department was thinking about picking it up and moving it aside for a while...... :huh: :eek: :p
I liked the quote that said it was obvious the truck was on the tracks. Really? I thought the train drove down the road and hit the truck, then hurried up back onto the tracks so it didn't get caught.

At least there is a nice train museum and train library adjacent to the Temple, TX Amtrak station for the passengers to peruse while awaiting return of their train.

As of 9:00pm 22(25) is back to Granger, TX, most likely on the siding there. (Trak-a-Train isn't that precise.) 21(24), on the siding at Little River, was carrying the protect engine from FTW which was probably taken around 21(24) and south to 22(25) where it will replace the damaged engine. Most likely the passengers will be able to re-board at Granger.

At least that's what I can surmise from Trak-a-Train and the first page of the Train Orders thread.

Is there a station in Granger? Not a regular stop.
Granger was a stop on the MKT but the old wooden Depot was moved away several years ago! Nothing there Railroad wise except tracks, IINM the passengers were bustituted to Temple and will board there if and when #22 ever gets there??!!!
Amtrak Status Maps still showing #22 in Service Disruption but Amtrak.com.shows #22 due into TPL @ 11:45pm,tonight 12+ Hours Late!! #21 is nowhere to be found in the Status Maps but Amtrak.com shows it due into Taylor @ 11:04pm,5 and a half Hours Late!!

That truck "driver" was a wonderful friend and loved by many. You idiots posting about this accident have no clue how his family and friends are feeling/doing at this very moment. That driver was my husbands best friend. Shame on you ugly, heartless people.

We don't mean to be callous.

But 99.9% of the time these "accidents" are caused by truck or car drivers who drove recklessly. Who failed to "stop, look, and listen"; who tried to cross without checking whether their car or truck would bottom out; who didn't make sure they had clearance on the far side of the tracks before crossing; whose cars or trucks were not in proper working order; or worst, who tried to beat the train.

In these cases, it's not just "an accident". It's negligent driving. And it means we need higher standards for issuing drivers' licenses. To protect people from themselves. Because when you drive a car or a truck, you take your life in your hands.

I see that this crossing has crossbucks, and a truck weight limit sign.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=State+Highway+95,+Bastrop,+Williamson+County,+TX&hl=en&ll=30.771086,-97.435432&spn=0.001618,0.001942&sll=42.746632,-75.770041&sspn=5.663325,7.954102&oq=state+highway+95,+williamson&hnear=Texas+95,+Texas&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=30.771225,-97.435412&panoid=jmhsaR71hz0-Bab6eSMStQ&cbp=12,282.94,,0,3.32

If you aren't a careful, cautious, and well-trained driver... you end up dead like your friend did.

I had a friend who died due to driving while tired. It was her fault.

It was also the fault of our society, for acting like anyone can drive anywhere at any time with minimal training. Driving is dangerous and you need to be both well-trained and fully alert in order to drive -- particularly across railroad tracks.

I try to use my friend's story as a cautionary lesson to others. Driving isn't a game. It's deadly serious, and you need to be as alert and well-trained as you would be if you were operating a fighter jet.

In these cases, it's not just "an accident". It's negligent driving. And it means we need higher standards for issuing drivers' licenses. To protect people from themselves. Because when you drive a car or a truck, you take your life in your hands.
Not only your own life but the lives of everyone else you encounter on the road, including the Passengers and Crew of that Texas Eagle in this case.

That truck "driver" was a wonderful friend and loved by many. You idiots posting about this accident have no clue how his family and friends are feeling/doing at this very moment. That driver was my husbands best friend. Shame on you ugly, heartless people.
I'm surprised that anyone in mourning would have the time, the energy, and the inclination to go around attacking strangers on the internet.

And this thread is relatively civil compared to other threads about grade crossing / trespasser strikes.

There is almost nothing in this tread about the driver of the truck....an "RIP to the 'driver'" and not much else.

He got on the tracks when he should not have and got hit by a train.
I will be riding 22 on Sunday. So I'm wondering how this mess is going to affect operations on 21/22 during the next few days.

I'm surprised that anyone in mourning would have the time, the energy, and the inclination to go around attacking strangers on the internet.

You are an callous jerk. I have been up all night trying to figure out how this happened. All you people are worried about is the Amtrack. A HUMAN LIFE WAS LOST.

If you look at the google map attached to someone's post, you will see there are no lights or arms as a train warning.

Devil in your case is correct.

I am handling my grief in my own way and that is NONE of your business. Who are YOU to judge me? In other words SHUT UP!

He got on the tracks when he should not have and got hit by a train.

I will be riding 22 on Sunday. So I'm wondering how this mess is going to affect operations on 21/22 during the next few days.
Unless there was significant damage to the tracks or signal system, should be cleared up long before Sunday.

You are an callous jerk. I have been up all night trying to figure out how this happened. All you people are worried about is the Amtrack. A HUMAN LIFE WAS LOST.

If you look at the google map attached to someone's post, you will see there are no lights or arms as a train warning.

Devil in your case is correct.

I am handling my grief in my own way and that is NONE of your business. Who are YOU to judge me? In other words SHUT UP!
Thousands of human lives are lost every day, what's your point? I'm sorry for your loss, but yeah - we're not going to spend a lot of time weeping here over a stranger that put themselves in the path of a speeding train.

If arguing with strangers on the internet over them not being saddened enough over the death of a stranger, then do what you've got to do.

As the original poster I want to say that Im sorry for the loss of your friend, as was said I included RIP for the " driver".

These kind of things are always a tragedy but are due to carlesness on the part of the driver!

I'm sure your friend was a wonderful person, but his mistake endangered the lives of several hundred people on the Train and, I assure you since I know them, caused trauma for the engineer and the conductors!

Hopefully this will serve as an example to others to be very careful when driving and follow the old saying about crossing railroad tracks: " Stop, Look and Listen!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back