6 Reasons Why Long Distance Train Travel Is Worth It

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other argument to make about LD train travel is that our country CAN AFFORD IT! Aren't we the richest, most exceptional country in the world? In just looking at the western LD trains, we have 5 trains that traverse some of the best scenery this country has to offer...views you can't get driving or flying, and forget about the bus. Sure these trains lose money, not a lot in the context of the entire federal government, but if we lose these trains we will be losing something unique our country has to offer. Our country has been on a downward trajectory to see how much we can eliminate from our society that has a cost but whose benefits don't show up in a profit/loss statement. Amtrak LD trains are in that category. Sure we can get rid of these trains and some politicians and citizens will rejoice, but by doing so, we take something away from this country this its citizens should be able to enjoy.

As far as cost comparison, how many billions of dollars were spent on this last election, and for what purpose? Also, how much money is wagered in this country every year during the Super Bowl...I think we can afford Amtrak's LD trains.

Best paragraph of the article: (emphasis mine)

WiFi is generally not available on these trains. Cell service is often spotty.

And guess what? That's not a bad thing. Taking the train is one of the best ways to unplug and just watch the country pass by. You can finish books, write manuscripts and take lots and lots of pictures. None of these require calling, texting, chatting or emailing. And that's a good thing.

Best paragraph of the article: (emphasis mine)

WiFi is generally not available on these trains. Cell service is often spotty.

And guess what? That's not a bad thing. Taking the train is one of the best ways to unplug and just watch the country pass by. You can finish books, write manuscripts and take lots and lots of pictures. None of these require calling, texting, chatting or emailing. And that's a good thing.
STRONGLY agree!!! I also had to snicker when the writer mentioned "more inexpensive options are also available in the train's café area"

I'd like to see more too, although I think you painted a bit unrealistic view of the dining cars, it gets the point across, and i have been proven to be in a minority when it comes to my opinion on the quality of food and service in the diner.

I'd like to see more too, although I think you painted a bit unrealistic view of the dining cars, it gets the point across, and i have been proven to be in a minority when it comes to my opinion on the quality of food and service in the diner.
Agreed.

Overall, I think this was an excellent piece, and I am so glad to see it in the Huffington Post.

HOWEVER - was that picture really of the sunset limited? The cloth napkins and china/porcelain coffee cups with red trim look unfamiliar to me. It would have been much more realistic to post a picture of what the dining service looks like NOW with the paper on the tables. I just don't like to set people up for disappointment.

Agreed.

Overall, I think this was an excellent piece, and I am so glad to see it in the Huffington Post.

HOWEVER - was that picture really of the sunset limited? The cloth napkins and china/porcelain coffee cups with red trim look unfamiliar to me. It would have been much more realistic to post a picture of what the dining service looks like NOW with the paper on the tables. I just don't like to set people up for disappointment.
I agree, excellent piece, I enjoyed reading it.

But, I'll be brave enough to say it, there's no way that's a current Amtrak dining car on any route.

Amamba is correct about setting people up for disappointment.

I Google image searched that particular image and got no results - I did find a blog from 2005 with similar pics though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Regarding the dining car photo...that is indeed a photo from 2005. It was the best photo I could find that we had rights to (mine are iPhone pics that lack much context). While the folks here at AU tend to notice those things, our larger audience likely won't.

Agreed.

I see the paper on the table, on top of the table cloth. That's how it was for all of the trains I rode in October, as I recall, including the cloth napkins. I do not recognize the dishes either, but I've never been on the SL.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Regarding the dining car photo...that is indeed a photo from 2005. It was the best photo I could find that we had rights to (mine are iPhone pics that lack much context). While the folks here at AU tend to notice those things, our larger audience likely won't.
While we on AU may notice it now, the first time rider will notice it as soon as they are on their first trip. They will see the difference and say "Never again!" Why set them up for that? :huh:

Overall,, i think it is a great article.

Fine article, though it's not the way I'm thinking about it. You focused on the west-of-Mississippi trains (... I can tell by the photos and the text!)

My home train is east of the Mississippi so I think about it a bit differently. The selling points are quite different.

Ethan, you are welcome to browse my blog for dining car photos to use. http://trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com. Please just send me a PM and I would be happy to give you the rights to use any of them (if you find any that you like).

I stand by my earlier statement that using a 9-10 year old photo sets people up for disappointment. Those folded cloth napkins have not been seen on amtrak for years. I just think it makes the diner look fancier than it actually is.

A feel-good take, very enjoyable article. The disadvantages were glossed over but since this was about the joy of taking the train they'd have detracted from the spirit of it. OTOH, the people this was written for need to know what to realistically expect.

Looks like the passenger train romanticism that most of us here have has taken hold of you too. If you didn't try for that Amtrak writer's residency program you should have.

That was a great article. 3 of my family members sent it to me. It explains exactly the reasons we take the train. The vacation starts the minute we get to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back