Service Disruption on 5 AND 6 (11/22)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aviva_dawn

Train Attendant
Anyone have a clue as to why both CZs that left on 11/22 from EMY and CHI are in Service Disruption?

Thanks

Whatever this is, I hope it's fixed by the time I ride #6 this weekend. :wacko:

Looks like the line is blocked between Salt Lake City and Denver. 5 and 6 are detouring through Wyoming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per TO ... "Rock slide Gore Canyon - will reroute again tomorrow due to blizzard conditions delaying clean up."

Wow. What a place to have a problem. That is one remote area. This is no minor reroute, either. Where are the detour points?
#5 and #6 are being rerouted through Wyoming between Denver and Salt Lake City on the UP Overland Route with no stops ( except for a crew change in Green River) which is the Regular Zephyr Reroute when stuff happens in the Rockies between Denver and Grand Junction!

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes me wonder how much overhead traffic UP runs on the Grand Junction route -- if any. It has to be very expensive to maintain, we know it's very expensive to run trains over, and the Wyoming route is shorter, flatter, and faster. I guess there are still a bunch of branches serving major mining operations, which is probably why it's open at all.

And there is the minor BNSF trackage right issue too, which came as part of the UP - SP merger deal. I suppose UP could transfer that to the Wyoming route too, if push comes to shove. Surprisingly there is quite a bit of coal traffic on the Ex-D&RGW route these days, including some BNSF ones too!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Wow. What a place to have a problem. That is one remote area. This is no minor reroute, either. Where are the detour points?
Detour points are Denver and Salt Lake City, since the former Denver and Rio Grande Western routing over Tennessee Pass from Dotsero, Colorado (just east of Glenwood Canyon) via Pueblo has been out of service for several years now.

And just for those who are not aware -- the reroute between Denver and Salt Lake City via Wyoming is typically MUCH faster than the regular routing through Colorado. Arrival times of an hour early (or more) occurred on the few times that I have been on the Amtrak reroute.

And there is the minor BNSF trackage right issue too, which came as part of the UP - SP merger deal. I suppose UP could transfer that to the Wyoming route too, if push comes to shove. Surprisingly there is quite a bit of coal traffic on the Ex-D&RGW route these days, including some BNSF ones too!

I have to wonder if it would make economic sense for the UP to just 'give' the former D&RGW route to the BNSF, and let them bear the expense of maintaining it....

That is, if the BNSF would accept it...... :unsure:

I have to wonder if it would make economic sense for the UP to just 'give' the former D&RGW route to the BNSF, and let them bear the expense of maintaining it....That is, if the BNSF would accept it...... :unsure:
I think UP still wants that mining traffic. It's probably profitable enough to make the line worth it...

...for now. Mines run out.

Before 10pm, we were told we should be on time into SLC. I think we were an hour and a half late into DEN.

Detour had great scenery, but not spectacular. I feel bad for the first timers who missed the Rockies.

Train 5 is still on detour today. Been waiting in Salt Lake for hours and Amtrak can not even tell us where the train is. They claim they do not have sensors on that route. The best they can tell us is it is running between 1 and 4 hours late. Also have to wait for busses that are running the normal route of train 5 and Amtrak is not sure where those busses are but when the train does arrive it will wait until the busses get here from Colorado.

And just for those who are not aware -- the reroute between Denver and Salt Lake City via Wyoming is typically MUCH faster than the regular routing through Colorado. Arrival times of an hour early (or more) occurred on the few times that I have been on the Amtrak reroute.
If the reroute is typically faster, why have these current reroutes been losing time as much as two to three hours? That appears to be the case checking the Amtrak Status Report.

It is theoretically faster, but I'd imagine that it is tough to get an unscheduled train to run on time over a route that it rarely uses. I'm sure that Amtrak gets the lowest priority whenever this happens.

These routes are still mostly single track. Threading an extra train into the schedule can cause severe delays.

(There's much less of an excuse for such delays on double track. Despite which the delays happen routinely on the Water Level Route anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back