first time traveller

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nick

hello everybody. gearing up for my first amtrak, leaving on empire builder in red wing, MN and switching to City of New Orleans in Chicago. I know empire is a no baggage check so don't mention that but I am looking for tips from people, upstairs or downstairs mainly. this is a point a to point b type trip so i am being cheap and only going for coach. any other tips you may have would be great

First off, I am a bit surprised that the City of New Orleans is a "legal" connection. As you may know, the Empire Builder has been suffering from horrendous delay problems and most of the Chicago connections from the eastbound train were dropped because it was always missing them. So first off be prepared for a late train and possibly getting to know the Chicago Passenger Services people as they reaccomdate you for a missed connection .

I prefer upstairs, period, but many people like downstairs because there is less traffic (you can't go through the train downstairs) and is quieter. Also, if your ticket reads "Reserved Seat Coach" it is for the upper level. Offically, you have to reserve a lower level seat, although how much the crews enforce this is variable.

If you're going coach, you will normally be seated on the upper level - unless you specifically reserved and purchase a "lower level coach" seat. Normally lower level seats are saved for those who have trouble climbing the stairs, but anyone can purchase these seats.

If you're going coach, you will normally be seated on the upper level - unless you specifically reserved and purchase a "lower level coach" seat. Normally lower level seats are saved for those who have trouble climbing the stairs, but anyone can purchase these seats.
Then they are not really "saved", are they? That's a rhetorical question, btw. :)

First off, I am a bit surprised that the City of New Orleans is a "legal" connection. As you may know, the Empire Builder has been suffering from horrendous delay problems and most of the Chicago connections from the eastbound train were dropped because it was always missing them. So first off be prepared for a late train and possibly getting to know the Chicago Passenger Services people as they reaccomdate you for a missed connection .
Seems to book just fine. However, I get two options for the 8 or 28. I sort of get what they are, but I'm not sure why this makes a difference when boarding far from where the 8 and 28 combine.

Is the arrival time at your destination a few days prior to your departure from your point of origin? That would be a first! :giggle:

I love titles with double meanings.

I've not ridden those lines but I've never had much trouble not being able to check baggage on the CL (since I detrain at Waterloo which has no baggage service, or station building for that matter!) My bag generally goes in the baggage area and sits there until I get off the train. I usually do a visual check for it when going downstairs to use the restroom and more than once I've been able to pull it out and get to something in it if I needed (change of shirt, pants, toiletries, etc.)

First off, I am a bit surprised that the City of New Orleans is a "legal" connection. As you may know, the Empire Builder has been suffering from horrendous delay problems and most of the Chicago connections from the eastbound train were dropped because it was always missing them. So first off be prepared for a late train and possibly getting to know the Chicago Passenger Services people as they reaccomdate you for a missed connection.
Seems to book just fine. However, I get two options for the 8 or 28. I sort of get what they are, but I'm not sure why this makes a difference when boarding far from where the 8 and 28 combine.
It doesn't matter where you board. Train 8 & 28 must be sold separately as they have different inventories. You may be seated next to someone booked on "the other train", just chose the lowest priceif both your origin and destination are served by both trains!

First off, I am a bit surprised that the City of New Orleans is a "legal" connection. As you may know, the Empire Builder has been suffering from horrendous delay problems and most of the Chicago connections from the eastbound train were dropped because it was always missing them. So first off be prepared for a late train and possibly getting to know the Chicago Passenger Services people as they reaccomdate you for a missed connection.
It doesn't matter where you board. Train 8 & 28 must be sold separately as they have different inventories. You may be seated next to someone booked on "the other train", just chose the lowest priceif both your origin and destination are served by both trains!
I checked for tomorrow, and it was the same price for coach - either value or flexible. However, I think the roomette was slightly cheaper with one option.

I certain get that you'd want to take the 28 to Portland or the 8 to Seattle going westbound since they'll split. I guess in the other direction it's just an odd pricing/bookkeeping quirk.

I'm also shocked that Amtrak is allowing this connection. It looks like the EB has missed this connection 8 times in the past month, which is less than I thought it would be, but still not good. So, OP, you should be about 30% prepared to spend the night in Chicago (at Amtrak's expense), and arrive a day late at your destination.

Re boarding at Red WIng: The old depot, while unstaffed, will be open before departure...it houses part of the collection of railroad memorabilia from a local collector. You may want to allow plenty of time at the depot just to look at/photograph all that good stuff!

From Red Wing to LaCrosse, along the upper Mississippi River==as long as it's still daylight--is prime eagle-watching territory, out the left side of the train. This time of year, the eagles migrating from Canada in search of open water will join the ones who nest along the Mississippi.

For years, when I lived in California and travelled to Minnesota to visit family and friends, I'd take the EB from Red Wing to Glenview, IL, then rent a car and drive to Naperville to connect with the westbound CZ (and see friends in that part of Chicagoland)

Enjoy the old Red Wing depot!

This is the only guaranteed connection for the Empire Builder. Which means you get to stay overnight in Chicago as Amtrak's guest. Take advantage of this opportunity and line up some sights to explore on your extra day in Chicago.

Tips-- Find a seat in the middle front or back of the coach car, not near the stairs or the doors. Bring along a pillow and blanket for sleeping. Bring a soft sided cooler with drinks and food/snacks. Bring a wash cloth etc. to freshen up in the morning. Enjoy the ride.

You want to ride the upper level because the view is much better. Also all access between cars is on the upper level. Make use of the lounge car during the day and eat at least one meal in the diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back