Confusing Time table - Daylight savings??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan

I booked a ticket from Tucson to San antonio for March 2015. My electronic ticket has the departure time as 9,15am. However Arizona does not use daylight savings.

So current departure time is 8,15 this changes on Sunday to 9,15 ( day light savings) and therefore logically it should change back in early March before my train departure date to 8,15. Any help appreciated. I live in Germany so have emailed Amtrak but no response.

I booked a ticket from Tucson to San antonio for March 2015. My electronic ticket has the departure time as 9,15am. However Arizona does not use daylight savings.

So current departure time is 8,15 this changes on Sunday to 9,15 ( day light savings) and therefore logically it should change back in early March before my train departure date to 8,15. Any help appreciated. I live in Germany so have emailed Amtrak but no response.
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question. But in any case it is good practice to check the Amtrak website the day before travel as there are sometimes last-minute changes to timings.

Also bear in mind that daylight savings in the US does not normally occur on the same dates as it does in Europe.

Amtrak is aware of AZ's non-DST, so I would guess the time on the ticket is the time it departs that city on that date. Others more familiar with traveling to/from AZ will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Amtrak is aware of AZ's non-DST, so I would guess the time on the ticket is the time it departs that city on that date. Others more familiar with traveling to/from AZ will be able to give you a more definitive answer.
While Amtrak should be aware, the timing information in Arizona currently posted online at the Amtrak website for days after the changeover to Daylight Savings Time is WRONG. The true departure times from stations in Arizona after March 6 should be one hour EARLIER than currently listed. And guest_Alan, your train will be leaving Tucson at 8:15 AM local time, NOT the 9:15 AM listed on your current ticket.

The 2015 change to Daylight Time takes place at 2:00am, Sunday March 8. With Arizona not observing Daylight Time, the schedule for AZ arrivals and departures will move one hour earlier starting March 8. The Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle from Tucson to San Antonio will leave at 8:15am beginning with the Monday, March 9 departure. chakk is correct. Amtrak.com does not reflect the time changes for Arizona departures after March 8. Sometime between now and March 8 someone at Amtrak will come to life and make the changes.

It is always a good practice to check departure times on Amtrak.com about a week or so prior to travel. Besides issues like Daylight Time, track projects can also result in timing changes. Amtrak is usually pretty good notifying passengers of any changes, but sometimes they slip-up. Checking yourself is a way to make sure that your timing is still as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days someone in Washington is going to wake up and realize that its not the 1940s anymore ( Daylight Savinga Time was implemented during the War to expedite 24/7 Shifts, help farmers and supposedly to save energy) and the light bulb will go on and Voila!, Standard Time will become the Standard year around! Nah, makes too much sense!

**Disclaimer: I'm retired so don't have to wake up for work or school, 7am is 7 am year round to me!** YMMV

I used to work in a office on the Arizona/Nevada border. It had 2 clocks (different time zones). Because the office was in AZ, and the employees were from AZ, when I first started working there nobody thought to "change" the NV clock on the time change date!

<snip> Standard Time will become the Standard year around! Nah, makes too much sense! <snip>
Actually I would prefer Daylight Time year round - here in Maine, during Standard Time it gets dark outside by 5pm EST during the winter months.

<snip> Standard Time will become the Standard year around! Nah, makes too much sense! <snip>
Actually I would prefer Daylight Time year round - here in Maine, during Standard Time it gets dark outside by 5pm EST during the winter months.
No. What time did the sunrise today? I cannot WAIT for daylight savings time to be over and revert to standard time. I am NOT a fan of seeing the sun rise at 7:15 AM, as it did today, or later, as it would be in December if we stuck with DST. In fact, I just checked the sunrise times, and if we stuck with daylight savings time all year, the sun would not rise until 8:10 AM around Christimas. No. Just no. Bring back regular time, thank you very much.

DST got extended by under an energy bill signed by Pres Bush in 2005 and implemented in 2007. It is terrible, IMO. I cannot stand the darkness in the morning.

ETA: those reported times are all for Providence, RI. Obviously times may differ in your own locale.

No. What time did the sunrise today? I cannot WAIT for daylight savings time to be over and revert to standard time. I am NOT a fan of seeing the sun rise at 7:15 AM, as it did today, or later, as it would be in December if we stuck with DST. In fact, I just checked the sunrise times, and if we stuck with daylight savings time all year, the sun would not rise until 8:10 AM around Christimas. No. Just no. Bring back regular time, thank you very much.

DST got extended by under an energy bill signed by Pres Bush in 2005 and implemented in 2007. It is terrible, IMO. I cannot stand the darkness in the morning.

ETA: those reported times are all for Providence, RI. Obviously times may differ in your own locale.
I agree. I have a light on a timer in my room to come on around the time I normally wake up so that I can't use the darkness as an excuse to roll over and go back to sleep. I'd say I have a small case of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) as I don't want to wake up before the sun and I want to go to bed when the sun does. :(

When I was growing up DST began on last Sunday in April and ended on last Sunday in October. I believe the extension into Nov was based on parents' complaint about Halloween in total darkness.

Europe and much of the rest of the world start DST on Sunday closest to spring equinox and end on Sunday closest to autumn equinox.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Here if we kept DST year round the sun wouldn't rise until 9 AM. It's bad enough now when the sun doesn't rise until 7:45 AM or later. I'd much rather have it get dark early. At least then I can wake up with the sun to some extent.

The sun would rise before 7 am, yes, but it also sets in RI before 4:30 pm in Dec/Jan! I'd rather not drive or walk home from work/school in the dark.
See I'm the exact opposite. I don't mind going home in the dark, but I do not want to go THERE in the dark. Like I did today. It is depressing when you watch the sun rise from your office.

Also we have kids waiting at the bus stop in the pitch black. It's not really safe for little ones.

we have kids waiting at the bus stop in the pitch black. It's not really safe for little ones.
Yet, we "old folks" did the same, and made it!

I find it depressing to work the "day shift", watch the sun set while at the office - and realize you still have an hour to work before your hour drive home in the dark! :eek:
Instead of encumbering others with ones own inconveniences the easiest solution is to work at an office with no windows and very good quality LED mood lighting which gives you a nice daylight experience throughout your workday :)

Really, some of the LED mood lighting in planes that I have experienced is surprisingly good! Waking up for breakfast over pitch dark Siberia in the winter at FL390 to the beautiful morning glow of rising Sun! :)

Compared to much of Europe the 48 states have it easy in winter. One visit to Finland the sun was rising at 10 am and pitch dark at 3 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Europe and much of the rest of the world start DST on Sunday closest to spring equinox and end on Sunday closest to autumn equinox.
Not quite. Europe starts Summer Time (they don't call it Daylight Saving Time) on the last Sunday in March (which may be a week later than the Sunday closest to the spring equinox) and ends it on the last Sunday in October (which is over a month after the autumnal equinox).

As I work in the airline industry and do things tied to those dates, I need to know what those dates are a few years into the future (already working on 2016 stuff).

People are going to be for or against Daylight Savings Time depending on where they live, how they live and how it changes how they live. I noticed an interesting thing when I lived in Lansing, MI. Because of Daylight Savings Time, in the summer it doesn't get dark until about 9:50-10:00PM. What my wife and I noticed living there, was that it was a town that people did things later. Work started for many people a little later. People worked a little later at the end of the day. Dinner was later. It was a town that embraced the fact that really never got dark before a quarter to six in the winter, and almost as late as 10 in the summer. Whether that had anything to do with DST, or more to do with whatever influence the auto industry held there, I don't know.

And to make a feeble attempt at somehow connecting this to trains, remember we have the railroads to thank for consistent time keeping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back