48 replies to this topic

#41 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:53 AM

Maybe the project will gain ridership even if it serves a peripheral car-centric site. But it won't have a significant effect on rebuilding Houston's downtown and it seems to me, this is what Houston is trying to do, for example with all the money that's gone into Metro Rail, plus all the various urbanist projects to make downtown attractive. Not having HSR go there would seem like a stab in the back of Houston, so maybe HSR is even hoping Texas will pony up the money for the downtown terminus and is using the out of town station as a negotiating piece.

#42 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

Well, and I suspect it is also plausible that there will be a "suburban" station and a "downtown" station (think Route 128 and South Station)...but I do agree that they probably want the city to at least help out on that front.  Ah, negotiating stances...

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#43 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

How Important is "Downtown"?

In Citylab, Eric Jaffe gives us the supposedly bad news that the proposed Dallas-Houston High Speed Rail (HSR) line won't go to "downtown" Houston.  Instead it will end at Northwest Mall, just outside the I-610 loop in the northwest of the city.  

But most of the Houston transit-advocates I've talked with aren't sounding nearly as upset.  That's because:
  • the proposed terminal is close to the centroid of Houston as a whole.  It's also very close to Uptown-Galleria, the region's second downtown, and to Northwest Transit Center, the busiest transit hub in the western 2/3 of the city.
  • the terminal station area is massively redevelopable.  You could easily build yet another downtown there, and if HSR is built, they probably will, and
  • the project will provide great impetus for light rail or Bus Rapid Transit linking the station to the original downtown.  These projects have been sketched many times and could include either I-10 nonstop links or a refurbishment of Washington Street, a promising old streetcar street linking the two nodes.
  • in the US High Speed Rail, the cost of the last miles into an historic downtown can be a huge part of the cost and grief of the whole project.  So if you want high-speed rail to happen at all, provoking this battle is not always a sensible part of Phase 1.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#44 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,881 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

OK, I get these arguments, but...

(a) Northwest currently has no rail link to downtown at all. If the planned Uptown light rail line is built, it'll still require taking *three* light rail lines to get downtown (Uptown/University/Red), and it'll be an indirect route.
(b) Couldn't they run elevated over I-10 or the UP line to get downtown?
© or even eastward in the I-610 median to meet the Red Line at Melbourne North Lindale station.
(d) At least consider extending the LRT up Washington Ave, Old Katy Road, and Post Oak Road to meet the HSR line.
None of these proposals are on anyone's official project lists
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#45 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:27 PM

Hi,
A Japanese funding organization has announced that it will contribute some funding for this project. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.progressi...et-train--46625

#46 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:25 AM

Hi,
A Japanese funding organization has announced that it will contribute some funding for this project. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.progressi...et-train--46625

Small change in view of the overall price tag of the project, but every bit counts.

#47 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi,
I agree that it is a small amount now, bit the main activity is design engineering, completing the environmental sign-off, finalize the alighment and project details and lining up investors to contribute funds after receiving the environmental project approval. This now brings Texas HSR to over $100 million of contributions.

A similar Chinese organization contributed $100 million to the Press west Las Vegas HSR which should be enough for similar activities. They already have their environmental approval for the Victorville to Las Vegas segment, but they now have to get an environment approval for the just announced Victorville to Palmdale HSR segment.

#48 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

What are the updates regarding this project?

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

Suggest use google and find out for yourself ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users