New train traveler anxiety

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dragonfly

In November I am traveling the first time on Amtrak and have no clue what to expect. I've read some of the forums and that has helped, but I'm still anxious. I will be traveling coach from KC to Chicago, then have a room for the rest of the trip.How do I know which one is the coach car? How do I find my way around the Chicago station? Is it easy to get around there or do you have to walk miles to get to your next connection? How will I find my next train? I guess once I'm on the attendant will make sure I have the right seat or room. I know these questions sound really dumb, but I just want to be prepared and save myself frustration. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Don't worry! That's what we're here for!

What is the rest of your journey?

I'm sure someone that's been to KC will have better info, but generally speaking, once the train stops, crew members come out and direct you to where you're supposed to be.

The station in CHI is fairly large by train station standards, but not too big that you'll have to walk "miles" to connect.

Well first let me say you're going to have a great time. Can't tell you much about Kansas City as I've never been there but I hear it's a beautiful station. A friend of mine went there just to see the station which has much to see beyond the rail station part. Likely the conductor will meet you on the platform, there may be a place to line up, and will send you to the proper coach, might even assign a seat at that time. When you get to Chicago, ask directions to the Metropolitan Lounge. It's a comfortable place to wait, reserved for sleeping car passengers. When the time comes they will announce your train and take you through a back door for an early boarding. Your ticket will have a car and room number on it, any Amtrak person on the platform can direct you to your car and the car attendant in your car will direct you to your room. Once everyone is on board the attendant will drop by and answer all your questions. Meals are included in your room ticket and the attendant will discuss that with you as well. One heads up on the diner, they fill all the seats at a table so you will find yourself eating with someone you just met. Many people find that to be one of the most interesting things about long distance train travel. Just relax and enjoy.

BN

And since you'll be in a sleeper on the connecting train ask someone to direct you to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. Or, if you want, you can tell the conductor on your first train that you'd like a red cap I Chicago & the red cap can take you to the lounge.

Thanks to both of you for the info. After I get to Chicago, I then change trains and head to Charlottesville, VA, where I will then meet my new grandchild! One reason for my anxiety is that in crowds I have trouble visually focusing on signs,etc, sort of visually overwhelmed, and miss things. It helps if I don't have to rush so I don't mind the few hours layover. If I get lost I have some time to recover.

Is there a floor plan or diagram for the "Cardinal" where I can see where my room is?

Remember that the train stations in KC, Chicago and Charlottesville (CVS) are not like airports where you have to walk 3 miles from gate 2 to gate 96. In KC and CVS, there will only be 1 train and in Chicago there are 2 "gates" (for trains heading north or south) - most trains head south. However if you're in the Metropolitan Lounge, they will walk you right to the train.

When you arrive in Chicago, you'll walk into the station and turn left. You'll see a waiting room with white curtains either ahead of you or to your right (depending on which gate you arrive at). Walk past that room and then turn right. You'll see double doors with lots and lots and lots of people walking through them. If you get to the escalator, you've gone too far. Go through those double doors. I'd say it's about 30-40 feet from the tracks to the double doors.

Once you go through the double doors, you'll be in a hallway. Just keep going straight. It's about 60 feet. You'll see an Information Desk on your right, and an escalator and the Amtrak Ticket lines on your left. Turn right after the Information Desk and go through another set of doors.

Now, walk straight ahead, toward the bathrooms. You'll see framed doors with frosted windows. That's the entrance to the Metropolitan Lounge. Go in the doors and walk to the desk. They'll ask you for your ticket for the Cardinal and give you a colored "ticket" that gives you access to the lounge should you leave and come back. It will have a time to come back for boarding.

You can then give the redcap (in the room across from the desk) your luggage. They'll also give you a luggage check tag with a time to come back. This does not check your luggage onto the train. This is like a coat check. It allows you to explore the station while waiting.

You can wait in the lounge if you're nervous. They have free beverages, snacks, wi-fi, and televisions. The furniture is comfortable, and it's a nice place to wait for your train. I do suggest exploring the station, though. The Great Hall is absolutely gorgeous and is a must-see. To get there, just walk out the lounge doors, go straight ahead past the escalator, and keep walking straight.

Here is a map:

map_concourse.jpg

I put a star by the tracks where the trains from Kansas City arrive. I put another star where you turn right through the double doors, a third star where you turn to head to the lounge, and a star on the lounge.

This is the lounge:

5559309701_624de7fb29.jpg

When it's time for the Cardinal to board, the lounge attendant will line everyone up and walk you out to the tracks. You'll head toward your train and look for your car. There will be train attendants at some of the entrances, and they can help you find your car and room. The room numbers are by the doors.

IMG_0038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add:

The tracks are labeled. There are monitors everywhere, just like an airport, that tell you when a train is boarding and which track it's leaving from. The tracks also have electric signs next to them that have the train's name and destination cities.

Despite all of that, the lounge attendant will walk you out to the tracks and point you in the direction of your train. Just follow the rest of the herd in your line. :)

If you want to be extra safe, find an Amtrak red cap employee. They will bring you down to the tracks personally ahead of time and carry your baggage if you have any, you just have to give em a tip afterwards.

Since others covered Chicago so well( Sarah is a jewel with directions) I'll mention a few tips about the Beautiful Union Station in Kansas City!

Its celebrating its 100th Anniversary and has been nicely restored! There is a movie theater and rail museum and a few stores plus a post office in the Station. Since you are catching the Chief to Chicago, it will be early morning so none of the above will be open yet.

The Amtrak waiting room is a small bus station like room with bright lights and uncomfortable wooden benches! The ticket counter and baggage room is right outside the door to the waiting room.

The door by the baggage room ( where you can check yoyr bags)leads out to a catwalk that will take you to the tracks where an elevator or stairs take you down the the platform where you will board your Coach! You should be able to have Breakfast and Lunch on the Train, but can take food,snacks and non-alcoholic drink aboard if desired!

You will arrive into Chicago

In the late afternoon! The Cardinal will serve Dinner in the Diner shortly after entering Indiana!

I totally agree with others to ask for a Red Cap to assist you in Chicago to de-train and in getting to the Metro Lounge on their cart since Union Station can get hectic! As was said the Lounge staff will walk you to your Train to board!

Sit back and leave the driving to Amtrak, you'll love it!

Here some more insight on KCY (Kansas City). This station is easy to navigate because in serves only 3 Amtrak trains a day and the other 2 (Missouri River Runners) go to St. Louis. Built in 1914, Kansas City Union Station is another of those railroad "cathedrals" built during the Golden Age of Passenger Trains. Look around if you have time. It is mostly a science museum nowadays. As you enter the main entrance you will see the original (and huge) waiting room ahead, which now sits empty unless there is a special event going on. Off to the right and to the rear of the entrance lobby you will see some doors leading the the Amtrak ticket counter and ramp to the trains, and a very small waiting room. You can check luggage here if need be as it is a staffed station.

You will queue up and wait for the announcement to board when all incoming passengers have cleared the way. You will exit the station building through a doorway that will lead you on a walkway to stairways/elevators to the train. Your train, the Southwest Chief will be below you at that point. It's coaches are usually on the rear and at least one (if not all) will have the vestibule door open with an attendant standing by to assist you. They normally to don't pre-assign any seats at Kansas City so you may be able to choose your own. They will be on the upper level of the Superliner coach as the lower is normally reserved for mobility challenged passengers. There is a luggage rack here if you don't want to take a carry-on up the narrow stairway. There is usually quite a crowd detraining at KCY so finding he seat of your choice should be easy.

Relax and enjoy your trip.

Here is the Southwest Chief (on the left) ready to depart eastbound for Chicago.Train on the right is a Missouri River Runner which will depart later in the morning.

AmtrakStation_mob.jpg

This is the interior of a Superliner coach car (what the Southwest Chief will look like):

DSCN4207.jpg

And this is what the seats will look like:

USA-superliner-train-seats.jpg

Look at all that room. :) You're going to be very comfortable. Those foot rests fold down, by the way. They're in the "up" position in the photo (under the tray, sticking out from the back of the other seat).

I hope you really enjoy your trip.

To clarify the luggage storage at the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, use this for your carry-on stuff. If you have checked baggage from Kansas City to your final destination, you won't need to carry that around, as it will be transferred for you from one train to the next.

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but have a question about the station at KCY.

We'll arrive from LA on the SWC at about 7:00am and spend the day until about 8:30 pm that same evening in and around KC. As we're arriving as sleeper passengers but not leaving by train, can we leave our checked baggage with Amtrak at the station until the evening or do we have to rent a Left Luggage Locker?

There is some really good helpful information in this thread and although I have never ridden Amtrak yet, have to say that long distance train travel in general is about as pleasant as it gets.

As long as the counter is open and staffed, you can leave (not retrieve) your checked baggage. It will be held for 3 days without charge - after which there is a daily "storage fee". There are no storage lockers at the station.

Thanks traveler

I guess that the key words are "open and staffed" . Is there somewhere I can find the staffing hours for the station or should I just phone them?

Quite surprised that there are no left luggage lockers as I think of it as a huge station, but if there aren't so many daily trains then possibly no great need?

If you go to Amtrak.com, one of the tabs on the top is "Stations". If you click on that, it shows the station information. (The code for Kansas City is KCY.) I'm unable to provide a link or screenshot on this computer.

Of course, should have thought of that myself, sorry to have bothered you.

It's good for us as the station is staffed from 06:30am - 11pm, can't wait to make this trip.

traveler beat me to it vv but FYI there is an agent and a baggage person on duty in Kansas City while the Station is open. You Can Day Check Luggage ( no charge for checked bags)for the standard Amtrak Charge of $3 a day per piece. Be sure and ask when to claim your non-checked luggage before boarding since there usually is a cut off time for checking/claiming baggage before the train arrives! ( Generally 45 minutes)

I can't link it but if you Google up USA Rail Guide.com youll see info and pics of all of the Amtrak Stations in the US!!

Thank you all for the detailed instructions! Very easy to understand and I feel much more comfortable. And I'm so glad it doesn't sound like an airport, as some of them are so confusing, and the loudspeaker always sounds garbled. I hate flying. I'm printing this out to take with me for reference.

Thanks Jim, appreciated as always

Guest_Guest, my I ask if you will report back with your experience, it's always interesting to read the follow up after questions posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back