Viewable Sports Stadiums while on board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sports and Trains

What sports stadiums (professional or Division I-level college); baseball or football, are possible to see (assuming daylight when you go by them even though that will not always be the case), is it possible to see while riding the following trains:

Lake Shore Limited

Southwest Chief

Coast Starlight

California Zephyr

Thanks, and any links that can be given to help with information on this topic would be greatly appreciated if you have one.

Well, let's see.....going south out of Chicago on LSL (and others) you see Soldier Field (Chicago Bears) a few blocks away, then U.S. Cellular (White Sox).

Pittsburgh on the Cap you pass right by the Pirates stadium.

I want to say that the dome in Syracuse is viewable on the LSL. You will also pass the Cleveland Browns stadium right by the station. The Indians and Caveliers arenas are also downtown, but not sure that you'll catch a glimpse. Similarly, the Milwaukee Bucks play nearby that city's station, but it's out of view. However , the Empire Builder does pass directly by Miller Park, home of the Brewers. Of course, at the end of the line (and on the Coast Starlight) the Mariners and Seahawks stadiums are near King Street station in Seattle.

I don't keep up with the stadium names these days, so I'll just name the teams.

LSL: Cleveland Browns stadium and Chicago White Sox stadium

SWC: ?

CS: Seattle Mariners and Seahawks staduims, San Jose Sharks arena

CZ: Colorado Rockies stadium

LSL - Just before/after leaving CHI, you go next to the stadium where the White Sox play. Just after/before BBY in Boston, you pass where the Red Sox play.

CZ - Right next to Union Station in Denver is where the Rockies play.

CS - Right next to King Street Station in SEA are the stadiums where the Seahawk and Mariners play.

I saw Coors Field in Denver just a couple of weeks ago on the CZ. Anaheim Angels and also their hockey teams have stadia next to the Surfliner route. You don't quite make it past Petco in San Diego, however.

We saw the Oakland Collesium and the new facility for the 49ers on a recent run to San Jose, where you'll also see the home of the Sharks.

Just outside of Minneapolis, one passes the Minnesota Gophers football and basketball facilities. Similarly for Nebraska in Lincoln.

You can access Cal and Stanford's stadiums which are nearby, though you won't see them on route.

The CZ passes behind Coors Field in Denver as it backs into Denver's newly-refurbished Union Station:

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/ballpark/index.jsp

In Milwaukee, the EB passes near Miller Park just to the west of the Milwaukee depot:

https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

And in Chicago, all the LD trains from the East (LSL, CL, Cardinal) plus all Midwestern service except the Hiawatha trains, pass next to US Cellular FIeld, home of the Chicago White Sox:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

Along the Coast Starlight route I think it's possible to see all the major professional sports stadiums in the Bay Area. Obviously it passes right by the Oakland Coliseum station and the O.co Coliseum and Oracle Arena are just to the west.

oaklandcoliseum1.jpg

It goes right by Levi's Stadium but doesn't stop at GAC. Here's a photo taken from a train:

626-1654.jpg

You might be able to see AT&T Park (possibly even Candlestick Park) from between Berkeley and Emeryville, but it might take binoculars. I'm also thinking California Memorial Stadium might be visible, although there are a lot of buildings.

The CS stops right at SJC where SAP Center is right across the street. The rails are only a few feet away from the main parking lot.

San_Jose_Diridon_Aerial_View_SJRDA_thumb.jpg

I threw in major indoor arenas just because others already did.

Of course, the Cardinal stops practically across the street from the football stadium in Indianapolis. You may be able to see the basketball arena, also.

It wasn't on your list but on the Texas Eagle between CHI and SAS you pass White Sox Stadium, ( don't know the current Title Sponsors Names),in STL Busch Stadium where the Cardinals Play Baseball,(can't see the Dome where the Rams play from the Train), the Dome where the St Louis Blues play Hockey is right next to the Intermodel Station, and in Arlington, Texas (between Dallas and Ft Worth)you have the Baseball Stadium where the Rangers play baseball and the Mother Ship AT&T Stadium aka Jerry World where the Cowboys perform.

Once you reach San Antonio ( it will be dark) you'll pass the AT&T Arena where the NBA Champion Spurs play and right next to the Sunset Station is the Alamo Dome where the Spurs used to play and Pro and College Football and Baseball games areplayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to say that the dome in Syracuse is viewable on the LSL.
I'm not sure what it's called, but the (minor league) baseball stadium certainly is visible. I've heard them playing music from baseball games. It's actually within walking distance of the station. In fact, when they were having the required public hearings on "high speed rail" on the Empire Corridor in NY, they held them in the meeting room in the baseball stadium (making them easily accessible by rail).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the view from California Memorial Stadium's new press/luxury box addition:

5982.jpg

I noted that you might be able to see parts of the stadium from the tracks (when buildings and/or trees don't get in between), but it's going to be a good couple of miles away. It might be more visible now because the addition raises the height.

Capitol Corridor, the Coast Starlight, and the California Zephyr all pass by and it might be possible to see the stadium from anywhere from Oakland to Richmond.

Since someone mentioned minor league stadiums, in Reno you can definitely see the new Reno Aces stadium from the station, but the tracks were relocated into a trench to help with traffic. You might be able to see Raley Field in West Sacramento while approaching/leaving SAC.

Thank you for all of the helpful information so far. It's good to know what I may see, and what I shouldn't think about seeing! I appreciate the information on the indoor arenas as well. I am very much interested in them, but figure they might be a little harder to spot and get a quick picture of as we ride by. This way I can be prepared, looking for these are near the top of my bucket list as I take my cross country trip. I will have a GPS in my roomette to help myself get prepared as well to get these shots!

My guess about the distance to California Memorial Stadium was way off. It's more like 3.5 miles as the crow flies from the tracks. However, there are places where there will be a clear line of sight.

Thank you for all of the helpful information so far. It's good to know what I may see, and what I shouldn't think about seeing! I appreciate the information on the indoor arenas as well. I am very much interested in them, but figure they might be a little harder to spot and get a quick picture of as we ride by. This way I can be prepared, looking for these are near the top of my bucket list as I take my cross country trip. I will have a GPS in my roomette to help myself get prepared as well to get these shots!
I find that Google Maps works pretty well on my iPhone to locate where I am. Once I used it in San Francisco when riding Muni Metro at night. I wasn't seeing too well outside and the operator wasn't calling out the stops. However, that's built for navigating by car, so it's pretty smooth. I find that Google Maps for the iPad isn't so smooth since it was never designed to update smoothly. I think it was designed more for planning.

I saw the Winona State stadium yesterday on the EB. In Spring, you can actually see some small school baseball teams practicing in NM along the route of the SWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back