Business class on the Pennsy - current set up?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barciur

OBS Chief
Anybody know what is the current business class set up on the Pennsylvanian? is it a standard Amfleet I BC or do they have the 2+1 set up?

Trying to figure out if I should use my upgrade coupon that I got with select status on it or not..

The Pennsylvanian uses Amfleet IIs, right? If so, the business class seats in the 2x2 cars are actually a downgrade, IMO.

The Pennsylvanian uses Amfleet IIs, right? If so, the business class seats in the 2x2 cars are actually a downgrade, IMO.
I believe it uses a mix of Amfleet I and Amfleet II cars. I agree though if you can get a seat in an Amfleet II then the BC doesn't really offer you to much aside from the soft drinks.

The Business Class cars on the Pennsylvanian are former Amfleet I Metroliner coach cars with greater seat pitch then the standard Amfleet I coach. They also have window curtains, as if that really matters. The standard coach cars are three Amfleet II coaches and one Amfleet I coach.

Business Class and the single Amfleet I coach offer wifi. The Amfleet II coaches do not.

The Business Class cars on the Pennsylvanian are former Amfleet I Metroliner coach cars with greater seat pitch then the standard Amfleet I coach. They also have window curtains, as if that really matters. The standard coach cars are three Amfleet II coaches and one Amfleet I coach.

Business Class and the single Amfleet I coach offer wifi. The Amfleet II coaches do not.
And it is usually the last car on the train so you get nice rear view out the back door as well. :p

It depends on what other travel you have planned before now and the end of Feb. If this is your only chance to use it before it expires then I would say go for it. Better to use it then let it go to waste.

The best use for an upgrade coupon is for first class on the Acela, but if this is your only opportunity to use it, I would.

It depends on how busy the Pennsylvanian usually gets. The sole reason I took business class on the Palmetto from NY to Savannah and back earlier this year was so I wouldn't be in a full car. I'm not sure how long you'll be on the Pennsylvanian, but I was on the Palmetto for 15 hours. The bathrooms in coach get quite nasty after 15 hours when the car is full... plus it's always nice to have your own two seats. On the Palmetto at least, no one was forced to sit next to anyone else unless they wanted to. Not sure how the Pennsylvanian is.

Edit: Just saw your on for about six hours. If theres any possibility of using it for a longer trip (or on the Acela) I would use it for that instead. If not, why not get rid of it before it expires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks for the suggestions. My coupon is valid until October 2015. I haven't been on a Regional or Acela for 4 years and it doesn't seem like that will change, but you never know - I think I'll just skip that then as I enjoyed the coach on the Pennsy whenever I took it on the Keystone line. Maybe within the next 12 months there is an Acela trip for me somewhere ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back