#27 and 28 today (10/21)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The on-line traffic between Portland and Spokane is basically nil. If something bollixes up the line between Portland and Spokane, it makes more sense to send passengers via Seattle or bus them to Spokane than it does to try to make the connection. :-(

BNSF MoW closed the mainline on the Fallbridge subdivision yesterday. I heard it was for work on a bridge.

So, #27 terminated at PSC and the passengers were bussed. Passengers for #28 were bussed to PSC.

Yep, bummer. But I'm glad to hear that the fatality wasn't what shut everything down.

I've only ridden long distance once (and it was on #27!), so far, so I have a question about how this happens.

I get it that BNSF needs to do MoW work, and, in a pinch, I get it that they will shut down traffic (including passenger) on that route. When this happens, isn't there usually some way of re-routing the traffic around the work?

OK, I have another question.

Considering that a train like #27 might have, what, 80-100 people aboard, does Amtrak just line up a bunch of buses to take them to their destination?

I get it that BNSF needs to do MoW work, and, in a pinch, I get it that they will shut down traffic (including passenger) on that route. When this happens, isn't there usually some way of re-routing the traffic around the work?
The US has lost most of the diversionary routes (they were ripped out), and there were never very many in the West to start with.

If it's just a regular railway line, they can often build a temporary track or arrange for the train to go through the work area slowly.

But if it's a tunnel or bridge, usually they really do have to shut the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back