Long distance trains by Q3 sleeper and coach revenue per train mile

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulus

Conductor
Point of this? Quite possibly none, just a persistent thought that was bugging me a touch while walking earlier today, and thought I'd toss it out in case anyone was able to figure out something more useful from it. Data is for April through June 2014, using FRA performance metrics reports for train miles and Amtrak's monthly performance reports for the revenue. Will say I'm a bit surprised by the Starlight having so much sleeper revenue per mile; I suspect it's because it's able to turn over a lot of sleeper rooms in NorCal.

Code:
Train	        Sleeper revenue per train mile
Auto Train	        $52.13
Coast Starlight	        $19.94
Capitol Limited	        $18.04
California Zephyr	$15.95
Lake Shore Ltd	        $13.22
Empire Builder	        $12.82
Southwest Chief	        $12.57
Silver Meteor	        $11.67
Texas Eagle	        $10.32
City of New Orleans	$9.95
Sunset Limited	        $9.43
Crescent	        $9.31
Silver Star	        $7.22
Cardinal	        $4.82
Code:
Train	        Coach revenue per train mile
Auto Train	        $81.83
Palmetto	        $29.00
Lake Shore Ltd	        $28.10
Crescent	        $26.72
Silver Meteor	        $26.46
Silver Star	        $25.17
Coast Starlight	        $23.66
Capitol Limited	        $21.91
City of New Orleans	$21.34
Texas Eagle	        $19.98
Cardinal	        $16.80
Southwest Chief	        $15.49
Empire Builder	        $14.31
California Zephyr	$13.86
Sunset Limited	        $10.96

Very interesting. I'll be curious to see the Q4 numbers for the Cardinal.

Looking at the numbers next to one another (sleeper share as a part of the whole):

California Zephyr: 53.5% (!)

Empire Builder: 47.3%

Sunset Limited: 46.2%
Coast Starlight: 45.7%

Capitol Limited: 45.2%

Southwest Chief: 44.8%
Auto Train: 38.9%

Texas Eagle: 34.1%

Lake Shore Limited: 32.0%

City of New Orleans: 31.8%

Silver Meteor: 30.6%

Crescent: 25.8%

Cardinal: 22.3%*

Silver Star: 22.3%*

Auto Train in italics to represent its odd nature.

*If you go out about three decimal places, the Cardinal's sleeper share is slightly larger.

Alright, so what's going on here? The Western trains are all clearly a lot more sleeper-focused. In the case of the Starlight, some of this goes down to the SSL and sleeper turnover in CA. On the others, this is partially a function of the trains' long runs (one does not usually book coach for a two-night trip). It's also a function of bad load factors overall in the middle of the routes (Reno-Grand Junction is an infamously bad segment if I'm not mistaken, likely accounting for a good portion of the Zephyr's situation...let's go back and have a discussion about why Western Pacific was the one begging their way out of the Zephyr's operation, shall we?)...you simply don't have the scads of intermediate destinations that you do in the east.

Interestingly, the Eagle operates as more of an "eastern" train than not...but this is perhaps not surprising: It has the STL cutoff car as well as daylight service in Texas.

As to the eastern trains, most of those are reputed to be rather capacity constrained (either demand-constrained by surging costs or capacity-constrained outright). The Cardinal is the best example of this (add a sleeper and watch it sell out immediately); a comparison between Q2, Q3, and Q4 would be interesting here.

The Star is notable in that it has an unusual amount of coach turnover...it gets a lot of this in Florida (MIA-TPA being a major market for it, and Tampa-based intrastate routings account for at least 20% of the Star's ridership) and another major chunk on the northern end (RVR-north is also a decent-sized market for the train; it's not uncommon to see 30+ pax boarding there, while RGH-WAS actually makes the top ten pairs). The Crescent falls into the same general category due to the ridership offload in Atlanta plus the fact that ATL-NOL and BHM-NOL, both daylight markets, are two of the top three markets for the train...and there's often not much reason to ride sleeper there.

That being said, the Crescent is prone to capacity constraints north of ATL. The Meteor and LSL are also prone to these constraints in spades as well, and I'd expect the sleeper numbers on these trains to jump with the Viewliner IIs (albeit not to the heights of the western trains). These also do a decent amount of "corridor-ish" business (though not on the scale of the Star). The CONO is similar: It overlaps with an IL corridor and has a lot of short-haul business on the southern end, and CHI-MEM/MEM-NOL (IIRC Memphis is the biggest turnover point for the train) are both doable in coach.

Finally, a note on the Cap: While it is an eastern train, it has a mass of through traffic second only to the Auto Train, not to mention a lot of connecting traffic between Chicago and the east coast. It also has relatively low turnover otherwise (PGH is the main such point, and WAS-CHI, WAS-PGH, and PGH-CHI account for over 3/5 of the train's business). This odd ridership pattern increases the sleeper share substantially vis-a-vis the other eastern trains.

(one does not usually book coach for a two-night trip)
I'm not so sure of that myself. The NARP ridership data shows a lot of coach travelers of that length, perhaps 60:40 sleeper:coach on the longest distance segments (SWC looks almost 50:50). Still a higher percentage of sleepers than coach for similar max length journeys on the Eastern trains though (except the Capitol Limited).

The numbers appear to reflect the lack of turnover traffic in Sleeper on the eastern LDs except the Cap somehow. It appears that a Sleeper accommodation is typically sued only once rather than more than once on a train journey, whether it be end to end or otherwise. On the western trains the same accommodation is often used more than once thus boosting up revenue for the same accommodation.

(one does not usually book coach for a two-night trip)
I'm not so sure of that myself. The NARP ridership data shows a lot of coach travelers of that length, perhaps 60:40 sleeper:coach on the longest distance segments (SWC looks almost 50:50). Still a higher percentage of sleepers than coach for similar max length journeys on the Eastern trains though (except the Capitol Limited).
Ok, bad phrasing. The share in the really long segments is 50-60% sleeper, but that compares with the sleeper share on most trains being in the range of 10-20% (only the Auto Train breaks 20% right now; the Cap and Zephyr are at 19%, the Sunset at 18%, the Chief at 17%, and the Builder and Starlight at 15%; on the low end, the Cardinal is at 6% (capacity constraints again), the Star at 7%, and the LSL and Crescent at 9% (capacity constraints plus corridor-ish traffic in all three cases). Going from 17% to 50% or 18% to 60% is a big swing.

Here's for all of FY13 by the way.

Code:
Train	Sleeper revenue per train mile
Auto Train	        $45.45
Coast Starlight	        $17.86
Capitol Limited	        $16.90
Empire Builder	        $15.04
California Zephyr	$13.99
Lake Shore Limited	$11.66
Southwest Chief	        $11.58
Silver Meteor	        $11.08
Texas Eagle	        $9.60