New Haven Union Station Solari Board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest-NH

End of an era.

The Solari board was taken down last night and work is underway to install the new video monitors.

The Solari board in Newark Penn Station has also been shut down, although I am not sure if it is due to be replaced or repaired. There was a notice in the station with more information but I did not have a chance to read it.

End of an era.

The Solari board was taken down last night and work is underway to install the new video monitors.
Wow, its finally gone! They installed most of the monitors over a year ago! Although I don't think the NJT ones at Secaucus Junction installed around 2003 are going anywhere):

newhaven147.jpg

Taken June 7, 2014

As the tiny date says in the default display (August 21, 2013 was when this photos were taken and the new information system was installed but 'under test'):

newhaven101.jpg

I'm doing a round-trip on the Vermonter next week and while its changing engines (if were early) I might just have to run down the tunnel and check out the situation, or at least get a photo of the Solari board no more!

Last edited by a moderator:
On a positive note, there is a Soleri board in the Ferry Building in San Francisco. Worth a visit just see and hear it clack. I think it's there as a tourist attraction so it should be there for a while.

One time I saw it with a "5hore Line East" train listed. No word on whether that one departed Times Square in the 80s.

Nope, that photo wasn't taken in the middle of a cycle, it was at the end and on a pause between flipping. Noticed Shore Lige East (the flip seemed to be stuck), hadn't noticed the mistake of train 29 (The Capital Limited on a new route)

Nope, that photo wasn't taken in the middle of a cycle, it was at the end and on a pause between flipping. Noticed Shore Lige East (the flip seemed to be stuck), hadn't noticed the mistake of train 29 (The Capital Limited on a new route)
I was trying to give the poor Solari board the benefit of the doubt. Oh, well. :(

I paid a bit more attention to a new ESPN ad tonight which uses a Solari Board display to advertise the upcoming Top 25 Ranking Show. Too bad they couldn't follow that with an Amtrak ad :)

I was at Newark Penn Station the other day and read the notice again. I'm assuming this means that Newark will be getting a digital board as well. Does anyone know for sure?

Solari Board Out of Service

The above information board will be out of service for approximately 90 days while a replacement is delivered and installed.

Please refer to the information monitors stationed in the information booth located in the waiting area.

Thank you for your patience and riding NJ Transit.

What does this line from the article mean?

DOT says there's more room on this board for other information especially once the New Haven-Hartford rail is launched in 2016.
There's already New Haven-Hartford "rail" on Amtrak. Are they talking about some sort of commuter service?

Thanks for the responses and the map. I probably could have googled around to find it. Sounds like a promising service.

It would be a promising service if and when it gets done. It's moving forward just a bit faster than a glacier.

Had some quick repairs done to my car in Berlin and Ron's repair shop had some nice pic of the Station in Berlin. That and the redevelopment of that area it might be someplace you want to stop at. Right now just a run down area. Which is a darn surprise, but luck of the draw. (It never was a well planned area.)

Side note, and a bit off topic: the old brick station at Berlin is a historic building. So the plan is to build next to the old building a new foot bridge and access to both high level platforms and enlarge parking area.

New access road to the station and next door a new Police Station.

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]I suspect that the Solari boards are going away because there aren't enough digits for how late trains are. IIRC, in Baltimore there were options up to 2 HRS 45 MINS LATE, then one got the dreaded DELAYED, meaning "Who Knows?"[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back