My First LD Train Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic981

Train Attendant
I have been lurking here for a few months ever since I decided to take a LD train trip. I have ridden a a few trains before but never an overnight train.

I am leaving on the SWC from LAUS Monday 10/6. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Check out other topics here for tipping suggestions for the roomette and dining attendants.

Bring some duct tape. It's useful for quieting rattles and closing off the overhead vent for temperature control if the built-in lever isn't working. I've also found a 6 ft extension cord handy for using personal electronics in the most convenient location rather than confined to the plug in the corner.

OK, Medic, as promised, here are a few thoughts, having just arrived back at my home, within earshot of the railroad in Flagstaff. So you are going LA to Chicago in a roomette? Excellent. The timekeeping of this train has usually been pretty good, but has slipped in the last several months. Hopefully you will be close to on time or not too late, but at least you don't have to be concerned about connecting in Chicago. Do NOT plan on an important event the evening that you arrive. If you arrive in good shape, then you can be spontaneous and go do something that is of interest to you, or maybe you are visiting. Be sure to make use of the First Class Lounge in LA, which is a nice facility. Walk down the hall to the right of the ticket office and you will be looking at rental car counters. Turn left and you will see elevators on the left. Go up one floor and turn left into the lounge. The redcaps will drive you in carts directly to your train. Dinner is served upon departure Los Angeles. Some of the food is pretty good - steak is the best bet, and some things like salad and vegetables are blah. Remember that the price of meals is included in your sleeper ticket. You may order anything on the menu. There are many opinions on tipping in dining cars, but I tip as though I was in a regular restaurant, and am happy to do so if the service is good. Alcoholic drinks are extra. In your sleeper, you will probably want to sleep on the bottom bunk, as it is easier to get into and has a window. The showers and rest rooms are separate from your roomette - one restroom on the upper levee, three on the lower, plus shower and luggage racks. If you are pleased with the service of the car attendant ( SCA ) it is appropriate to tip them. ( For the two night trip I would give them at least $10. Last year I had an uncooperative SCA and she received zip. To some I have cheerfully given $20. )) I usually have trouble sleeping the first night on the train - you will probably do better the second night, although be prepared for some rough track in western Kansas. You will find traveling overnight by train to be special and a very different perspective in crossing the country, quite different than by car.

Nobody knows how this will turn out, but in 2016, the Southwest Chief is likely to be re-routed away from the old Santa Fe mainline over Raton Pass, and will be sent east across the Texas Panhandle at Amarillo, through northwestern Oklahoma, and up to Wichita. Therefore, appreciate the charms of the present route while you can. East of the movie set like station at Lamy ( the station for Santa Fe ) is where the ride is most interesting, up narrow twisting canyons at low speed, across the Pecos River and wide open spaces right out of the Old Wild West, and over Raton Pass into southeastern Colorado. You will most likely want to hang out in the sightseer lounge car next to the dining car. For over 200 miles you will see no other trains except Amtrak headed westbound, which should normally be east of Lamy. At meals, you will be seated family style with other passengers. While occasionally some of these people are duds and/ or obnoxious, it is often the best part of such a trip, meeting people from all over and striking up lively chats. If you don't want to share a table, you may request that meals be brought to your room, something I have never done. If you want to be left alone, go to room room, shut the door and pull the curtain. I feel that most Amtrak employees do a great job, often under difficult circumstances. They can really make the trip pleasant, even if management has cut back on some of the amenities this year, which has been much discussed. If you have more questions, please private message me.

Thank you greatcats, your narrative is exactly what I was looking for.

Growing up in Oklahoma City I traveled on the Lone Star from OKC to FTW and back in October 1979. Amtrak was eliminating that train and my mother, who was raised in the northeast and traveled by train as a way of life growing up, wanted us to experience train travel before it disappeared. I have yet gone back to OKC to ride on the Heartland Flyer however when I do it is high on my list of things to do.

I have always wanted to take a LD train and with the SWC so much in the news I decided that it would be the first LD train I would take as it most likely will be gone in the form as we know it.

So Monday, Oct. 6 I fly out from Denver to Burbank and hop on the Pacific Surfliner to LAUS. I have about 5 hours to spend before the SWC leaves so I plan on hoofing it to Philippe The Original for a French Dip Sandwich for Lunch and then maybe go to city hall to take a look around then go back to LAUS and explore until the boarding call for the SWC.

In Chicago I have a room reserved for the night and I am taking the Hiawatha to Milwaukee Airport on Thursday, Oct 9. and flying back to Denver.

So there you have it, my vacation is traveling the SWC eastbound from start to finish. Taking a LD train trip is something I have wanted to do since I was a child.

Thanks again for your advice.

You are welcome. Hope you enjoy the trip. If you were on the westbound in the evening, I might swing by the station and say hello, but the eastbound arrival at 4:36 am is not something I would get out of bed for, unless I am boarding the train or dropping off a houseguest. Let us know how the trip goes.

Thank you greatcats, your narrative is exactly what I was looking for.

Growing up in Oklahoma City I traveled on the Lone Star from OKC to FTW and back in October 1979. Amtrak was eliminating that train and my mother, who was raised in the northeast and traveled by train as a way of life growing up, wanted us to experience train travel before it disappeared. I have yet gone back to OKC to ride on the Heartland Flyer however when I do it is high on my list of things to do.

I have always wanted to take a LD train and with the SWC so much in the news I decided that it would be the first LD train I would take as it most likely will be gone in the form as we know it.

So Monday, Oct. 6 I fly out from Denver to Burbank and hop on the Pacific Surfliner to LAUS. I have about 5 hours to spend before the SWC leaves so I plan on hoofing it to Philippe The Original for a French Dip Sandwich for Lunch and then maybe go to city hall to take a look around then go back to LAUS and explore until the boarding call for the SWC.

In Chicago I have a room reserved for the night and I am taking the Hiawatha to Milwaukee Airport on Thursday, Oct 9. and flying back to Denver.

So there you have it, my vacation is traveling the SWC eastbound from start to finish. Taking a LD train trip is something I have wanted to do since I was a child.

Thanks again for your advice.
What a great trip you have planned. I want to add only one thing.....Can I come with you?
But seriously, everything Greatcats said was spot-on. The First-class lounge in LA is a great place to relax, store your stuff as you wander about waiting for your train, and get snacks.

The SWC route is amazing. I have taken it twice from east to west and have been mesmerized by the views. The little Pueblos close to the tracks intrigue me. The people still use hornos for cooking. You can see them in the yards.

Enjoy your trip!

Neutralist, any suggestions for afternoon, evening, and morning tourist activities while I am in Chicago before heading home?

My first overnight train in the U.S. occurred last month, on this very same route (though in the opposite direction). I loved it. Maybe I just like to be cocooned, but I hadn't slept so well in ages. The cozy layout of the roomette, the hynotic motion of the train (even over the rough track in Kansas that others warn about), the adventure of briefly wakening in the middle of the night and wondering which little hamlet we were passing, all contributed to that. Other veterans will have mentioned the usual tips, like "pack light," "bring a power strip," and so forth. I have one quirky little addition: at home, I shower in the mornings, and initially I did that again on the train. But that was a mistake...I lost precious daylight minutes waiting for the previous occupant to leave the shower, minutes that I could've spent watching the scenery go by. So my suggestion is to shower at night.

Trollopian, that is a great idea. I never thought of showering at night to save daylight hours for sightseeing. I too usually shower to start the day so this is a great suggestion and I will shower in the evening well after sunset.

I try to be in the shower before daybreak, get a cup of coffee, go to the SSL or PPC & watch the sun rise! Man, can't wait for my next trip!!! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back