Lincoln Service service disruption listed under Illini/Saluki?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunder Road

Service Attendant
Trying to get from STL to CHI but I've heard horror stories about bus bridges so I'd rather stay on a train the whole time. Thinking of driving out to Effingham an coming up that way but Amtrak lists a service disruption there as well. But when I click for details on the warning next to 390 and 392, it's just telling me about the Lincoln Service. Anyone know why this is? There's no disruption listed for the CONO.

Same for Quincy trains. You get used to the phony link after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Texas Eagle is (or was) running STL to CHI without buses.

FWIW - A few days ago I was on a bus bridge between Alton and Springfield, then Illini train on to Chicago. The bus was very nice. It was a pleasant surprise and wouldn't of minded if I had to ride the bus all the way to Chicago.

"It was a pleasant surprise and wouldn't of minded if I had to ride the bus all the way to Chicago."

None of the buses are anywhere near as pleasant as a train. Careful what you wish for - Amtrak might just turn everything into a bus service.

Do to Amtrak never having a train backup plan and bad planning by them and State of Illinois - off and on many of us Lincoln Service passengers have been stuck in bus hell. Yes I'm fully aware of why - work being done - timeframe etc.

Ride at times has been worse than Amtrak on a bad day. Seats are not as comfortable - much less room - can't get up and walk - only 1 bathroom.

Bus air condition does work more reliably than most Amtrak rolling stock in Illinois.

I just rode Springfield to Alton to St Louis bus Sunday - reverse route yesterday.

Couple of weeks ago bus was Springfield Carlinville backroads to Alton then St Louis.

Also tickets are NOT being checked in St Louis when boarding bus. Tickets are not being pulled.

This means each and every time a call to rewards to get credit for travel.

Sometimes Springfield station attendant does their job and pulls tickets on bus.

On my recent trip leaving Springfield ID's were used to check off a master list.

Past few trips anyone coming from North has to deboard train in Springfield IL and board a bus to go South.

Process in reverse if you are coming from any station between St Louis and Springfield.

The Chicago-St. Louis trackwork has been the most half-assed project in terms of planning. They've disrupted the trains for *years* already, and they really have nothing much to show for it so far, because they left the slowest parts of track until last (!?!). And they'll have to disrupt large portions of the sections they've already done *again later* in order to double-track them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back