Isolated Sleeping Car on the front of the Auto Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
So the Auto Train is blowing through RVR and I noticed that the train was set up as follows:
Sleeper

Diner

Diner

Coaches

Lounge

Diner

Sleepers

(I lost count of the coaches as it went through)

Is that isolated sleeping car a crew dorm? Or did something odd get set up in the yard?

Auto Train does have three Diners, two for the Coaches and one for the Sleepers. The Trans Dorm is usually at the Sleeper end of the train beyond the 45 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Since Auto Train runs at the limit of HEP I'd expect deadheads to be outside the HEP loop if possible, i.e. Just ahead of the auto carriers. But of course I could be wrong or missing something in that thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

That was the crew car. It is now located next to the table car at the coach end of the train.

The platform at Lorton is undergoing some major rebuilding to make it comply with current standards set by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The construction would have put the crew dorm in a location that is hard for crew members to access at Lorton. As a result, the crew dorm has been running at the south end. As far as I know, this is a temporary situation. I do not understand the whole situation & have not been involved in A-T's day-to-day operation for several months, so I can't answer any questions that might get into more detail.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back