Current Zephyr Consist (Sleepers) + Sunset Leaving LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
A couple of questions here for anyone in the know...

1) Does anyone know the current Zephyr consist in terms of if the sleepers are in the front or at the rear? I'm looking at a November departure date and was just curious.

2) Also, when the Sunset leaves LAX, are the beds in the sleepers usually down already for the evening?

Thanks!

A couple of questions here for anyone in the know...

1) Does anyone know the current Zephyr consist in terms of if the sleepers are in the front or at the rear? I'm looking at a November departure date and was just curious.

2) Also, when the Sunset leaves LAX, are the beds in the sleepers usually down already for the evening?

Thanks!
Regarding number 2, yes it is and it is very annoying, since your boarding and having the beds already made gives you very little space to manuver around. Here is the picture from the door of our bedroom as we boarded SL this year.

P1000034 by seat38a, on Flickr

California Zephyr is running with sleeping cars on the end, except for the crew's dormitory car which is the first car behind the baggage car.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the sleepers on the rear of #5/6.

Not sure I like the fact that the beds are already down upon departure from LAX, but I can see why they do it.

Have the SCA put the beds back "up" when you get aboard or, if you know how, do it yourself. As commented above, it limits the manuvering room when you are trying to get settled in.

I rode the Sunset in July and we did not board until 9:30pm but there was the new Metropolitan Lounge from which we boarded via red caps. Even the arriving Coast Starlight transfers were brought first to the Lounge and then boarded on the Sunset from the Lounge. Roomette was already set up for night time and the tracks from LAX were so smooth that I was asleep soon after departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back