Passing motorists must have thought it was just another engine on fire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Engineer
It was a first, at least for me.

I was on 383, the night train to Qunicy, about 35 miles from its destination when the lights went out. The conductress got on the PA and said don't be alarmed, the lights were turned off deliberatlly because the engineer needed to reboot, as we began to coast gradually to a stop (I'm sure most of the passengers didn't know, but soon learned, that reboot is a euphemism for we're in big trouble)

She then announced that the computer says the engine was short of water coolant; and couldn't be rebooted. Then she said there was a leak in the water line; and they would try to get enough water, probably from a fire department, to get us to our destination. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later two fire engines pulled to the side of the train on a little used state highway less than 50 feet away. All we could see was the flashing lights of the two fire engines. After another hour, the lights came back on; we heard two toots of the horn, and we were off without further problems.

Other than not explaining why it took the firemen about an hour to water the engine (maybe their hose nozzle didn't match the engine opening), the conductress did the best job I've ever seen of keeping passenger informed.

Augusta, Il volunteer fire department
fireEng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday at what seemed to be early afternoon, I noted a BNSF diesel yanking an Amtrak unit and possibly the consist from the Illinois Zephyr 380 eastbound through Downers Grove. Said laughing in regard to the 383 issue: hey, at least it wasn't a heavy twin-jet shutting an engine down over the north pole with an alternate airport 2 hours away, over!

I also recall that within the past few weeks, I saw another hefty BNSF at the helm of either the CZ or SWC eastbound through town on the way to Union Station. Its good to have friends in the neighborhood!

Don't call them conductress. Sexist pig.
Say it nicely, it you must, Paul is a great friend of AU and has given us some really useful tools. Plus he was born and brought up in a much different world and some habits are very hard to break especially when they are that old. That word is defined in today's dictionaries (Random House and Miriam Webster) straight and without any caveat or pejorative. In other words, perfectly good English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting story. Bet those firefighters were glad to help and that it was only "tech support".

Say it nicely, it you must, Paul is a great friend of AU and has given us some really useful tools. Plus he was born and brought up in a much different world and some habits are very hard to break especially when they are that old. That word is defined in today's dictionaries (Random House and Miriam Webster) straight and without any caveat or pejorative. In other words, perfectly good English.
I'm sure it was said in jest, but sometimes it can be hard to tell, and no less offending than what the first unintended offense was.

Yeah - we live in a PC world. I prefer Macs. I just can't afford them.

I'm sure it was said in jest, but sometimes it can be hard to tell, and no less offending than what the first unintended offense was.
Here's the thing - we can't see the expression on someone's face when they are typing a post. Are they smiling? frowning? angry? We don't know. Therefore, we should all be wise enough to be courteous to each other when posting something on this forum with the thought that it might be hurtful or unkind to say something like GML posted.

Interesting story. Bet those firefighters were glad to help and that it was only "tech support".
Firefighters are (almost) always glad to help.

I suspect this was not the whole story (perhaps omitting a small, contained fire that DID nead F.D. help). Regardless Amtrak needs to send the guys (and gals) a big "thank you". Most of the volunteer firefighters will have taken family time or time from their "day" job to respond, plus a good hour or so to get the equipment back in service before they get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back